1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

5 Pence Piece

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by DavidGilmour, Sep 21, 2020.

1. DavidGilmour

DavidGilmour Strat-Talker

Since I started playing guitar in 1980's I used a silver coin with the grated edges as a plectrum and continue to this day using a 5 pence piece now.. my right thumb at the end of a gig is covered in metal filings from the strings..

im considering using a plectrum but for the life of me cant find one that grips the fingers like my trusty 5p..

is it too late for this old dog to learn the trick of using a plectrum..??

Baelzebub and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  2. Jerseystratfiend

Jerseystratfiend Strat-O-Master

Sure, you can do it! I played only with a plectrum for 25 years, then switched to just fingers. :)

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

I always had a problem with launching picks into the crowd and having to grab another one because they would slip and when I would try to turn them or regrip them they would fly. Then someone, I really can't remember who now, turned me on to Snarling Dogs Brain Picks. they have a really good grip t them that bites into my fingers and I haven't lost one on stage since. I hae dropped them in my practice room a few times when learning a new technique or something like that but never when I am doing what I am comfortable with. All that said, I still keep a pick wedgie on the headstock that holds two picks in case I do lose one because...well old habits die hard and I would rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Try out a couple of thumbpicks till you find one that fits yours well and that suits your style and feel. Takes all the worry about having to maintain any particular grip pressure.

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

15 minutes of playing is enough to convert most picking styles to something new

6. DavidGilmour

DavidGilmour Strat-Talker

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snarling-Dogs-Brain-TNSDB351-Collectible/dp/B000BBQPBG

ordered

thank you for the recommendation

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I don't have one to photograph because I generally give them away or sell them, but for awhile I was using US quarters hammered out into the shape pf a pick.
    3/4 of it is just the coin, so it has the feel/heft of the quarter, but the thinner point acts more like a pick...much more so than the ones that are just ground/filed to a point.
    Why do you want to change?
    Metal shavings?
    Doesn't seem like a big deal.
    And I'm pretty sure plastic picks cost more than 5p.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I purchased these from a fellow in the U.K. He shapes and smooths the coins into the plectrum shape. I haven't used them enough to notice any metal shavings, but wonder if the smooth finish vs the grated coin edge will minimize shavings?

IMG_6530.JPG

DavidGilmour likes this.
  9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

I like the Cat Tongue picks. They have IMHO a very grippy ( what a kool word...lol) surface.
    I’m not affiliated with them and came across them when a buddy gave me some. I am also a fan of teardrop shaped picks as I tend to play with my picks reversed use the top corners.

stormsedge likes this.