5-way switch wiring: Fender/Squier 2021 Contemporary Strat Special -- any hints?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by jvin248, Jan 24, 2021.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Any hints on how they wired up this 5-way switch to cover the switching modes?
    Fender/Squier 2021 Contemporary Stratocaster Special

"Position:
    5. Neck
    4. Bridge, Middle and Neck,
    3. Middle and Neck (Parallel),
    2. Middle,
    1. Bridge and Middle (Series, Hum-Cancelling)"

Easy answer is they used a 'Super Switch' ... but given the guitar price point I doubt they did anything other than a standard 5-way by soldering the pickups to different lugs.

[​IMG]

They picked up the Robbie Robertson method of pushing the middle pickup back against the bridge and giving it a unique wiring system. The RR was a basic Strat 5-way with a push/pull tone pot to give it bridge-middle series humbucker but otherwise a standard Strat 5-way wiring.

[​IMG]

This is the RR wiring diagram I found (push-pull)
    [​IMG]

I've had the desire for quite a while to do a similar Strat mod to the Robbie Robbins by sliding the middle pickup back against the bridge pickup.

So any insight on what Fender used for this new Contemporary wiring diagram?
    Is it copied from a known circuit already out there?
    Did they develop something new?
    How to wire a standard 5-way switch to do the same switching selections?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I would be really surprised if it didn't have a super switch in it.

3. jvin248

I'd think 'sure a super switch' if it were a Fender, but at the Squier price points that would be an extravagance they would likely avoid ... Squier uses a lot of small pots instead of the larger pots to save a few cents, or the Import 5-way pcb switch instead of the MIA/MIM wafer 5-way style.

4. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist New Member!

The Robbie Robertson Strat has a 3-way switch, not a 5-way. It was a 55 strat I believe. The wiring is actually quite simple: Pos. 1) Neck, 2) all three, 3) middle and bridge in series. The middle and bridge pickups have been wired permanently together in series so they kind of act like one pickup (like a humbucker) even before they go to the switch.
    Basically the RR Strat is wired like a Tele (the 3-way switch that is used in a Tele is the same as the 3-way switch Fender used on Strats from 1954 to 1977). So you can look up a Tele wiring diagram, then wire your strat to it exactly like you would wire a Tele to it - except that you would wire the hot of your middle pickup to the ground of your bridge pickup and then just use the ground of the middle pickup and the hot of your bridge pickup to wire them like you would wire a normal tele bridge pickup.
    I hope this made sense.

5. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster

The Squier Contemporary uses a super switch. I doubt it is an Electroswitch Oak-Grigsby. Will be a cheap Chinese copy.

Squier_Contemprary.jpg

Stephen James and jvin248 like this.
  6. jvin248

Great to see the back side of that pickguard.

Still a more complex switch expense than I expected the brand to use.

Also interesting to see they kept the middle pickup in normal orientation not rotated 180deg to put the bobbins back to back with the wire terminals on the neck side of the middle pickup. Fender had a model back in the 80s/90s that was two single coils back to back.
    The extra space on the pickguard between pickups to adjust for the solder lugs is clearly evident when looking at it after seeing the back of the pickguard.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Stephen James likes this.