Join Strat-Talk Today

50 years playing and never had this issue

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Big Jim, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

I've never seen or heard of such an issue.

Considering all the info you provided regarding the stability of the tuning and the brand new state of the guitar, I can only think that maybe you're holding the guitar too tight, applying too much pressure to the neck while you fret, so you even get a stiffer feel to it.

How tight are the neck screws? Is there a gap in the neck pocket? Check those things and try to play as smoothly as you can for a whole session, and see if it still happens.

I know it's a shabby advice, but believe me: depending on how tense I am due to whatever factors, my playing and the way I feel the guitar changes RADICALLY in a gig or even a rehearsal.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m talking about the tension. How could it be anything else since you have stated a pro tech said there is nothing wrong with it, you have said the trees and saddles are perfect? And the only way humidity could cause it is if it caused more bow in the neck which created more relief but again your tech said the setup is fine. Humidity cannot make steel stiffer.

As for the odd tone on open strings only contact points will effect that, saddle, nut, tree and tuner. If all of them are truly perfect then the only explanation left is aliens.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

I've owned hundreds of guitars. I've played since 1964. I can honestly say I've never experienced this thing we're talking about.

If the tuning remains stable...the stiffness of the E & B strings won't increase. Of course a decked bridge on a Strat will feel stiffer than a floater.

Does this guitar have a Tremsetter in it?

Stratoskater and fattboyzz like this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep... does not make sense at all.
    If it's staying in tune, then the only thing changing in 30 minutes is the sensitivity in the fingertips, particularly if everything is "normal" the next time you pick it up.
    You aren't going to put enough heat into the neck or strings to make that much of a change.
    I have no issues playing for an hour for the most part, but I have noticed that my pinky has become more sensitive on the E and B strings as I've gotten older.
    Circulation issues from diabetes perhaps? I don't know, but I only feel it in that one finger.

Seriously, get your A1C checked... mine shot up from a touch above 5 (normal) to over 9 in less than a year. Any recent changes in vision?

fezz parka likes this.
  5. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

Guitars are like grumpy old men. Sometimes they develop an ache, depending on the barometric pressure.

Other times, they miraculously auto-correct an issue too.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  6. RoyC

RoyC Strat-Talker

Unhook the strings from under the tree, see if it makes any difference.
    Is your tree securely fixed ?

7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Steady on Sandwich.. steady on.. this forum is 99.9% GOM.. and you're on dangerous ground.. :)

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

And the barometric pressure is low and the humidity high...

Tuner Sandwich and Will Lefeurve like this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Strings don't "stiffen up". If its harder to bend a string, its because the string(s) are hanging possibly, such as on the nut, string tree, saddle [with trapeze tailpieces] and so on, but even then, its pretty subtle. Also, some guitars have no tailpiece, no string trees, and a very short after-length above the nut - that would be normal "stiffness".

"Twang" can mean a lot of things. There is no such thing as "twang" that a competent tech is going to miss, when declaring the guitar to be in good working order. Its either in good order, or its not twanging on its own.

So there is some contradictory information. Either there IS an issue with the guitar, or with the player. There is no supernatural force happening here, that would defy 50 years of expertise and experience. It will prove to be one or more of the same things that happen commonly to cause "twang" and "stiff" action. One is a malfunction, the other may not be.

CB91710 likes this.
  10. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

:)

I like to think I am a junior GOM; a grumpy old man in training. It's a badge of honor. :)

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  11. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Ah.. twang and stiff action.. they were the days.. ;):D

Cerb and Tuner Sandwich like this.
  12. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

I have the same problem on my am pro strat. High e string just buzzing on the open chords for no reason. Tried everything, still can't solve it.... it makes me crazy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.