57/62 fender pickups tone control options

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by zerorez, Oct 5, 2019.

1. zerorez

zerorez New Member!

Hello all, longtime observer here, my first post to seek assistance.

Looking at replacing the hot pickups on my 62 clone parts caster with a rosewood board and going back to vintage specs for best quack in the 2/4 positions.

I can get a prewired fender pickguard with the 57/62 option and it will have the traditional independent tone control wiring to the neck and middle and no tone control for the bridge.

If I change the tone control options to 1 master to bridge and 1 for both the neck and middle, will this effect quack in the 2/4 positions?

Should I leave it stock, like Leo designed it?, I want to get the best vintage quack in the 2/4 positions.

Thanks

2. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I personally like a tone for the bridge and the other for the neck and middle. @fezz parka has a lot of knowledge on this as do a lot of other folks on the forum.

welcome!!

guitarchaeologist and zerorez like this.
  3. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

No that wouldn’t affect quack in 2 and 4

IMO bridge needs a tone pot

PCollen and zerorez like this.
  4. zerorez

zerorez New Member!

If wiring up a separate tone pot for the bridge only and the other for the neck and middle.

What capacitor values would work best?

Thanks

PCollen likes this.
  5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Most prewired Strat pickguards are wired with a traditional configuration with Tone-1 on the neck and Tone-2 on the middle, with no tone control on the bridge.
    The American Special, Performer, and models with the "Delta" tone circuit put Tone-1 on the neck and Tone-2 on the bridge, with no tone control on the middle. I like this configuration because I rarely/never use the middle pickup alone.
    It's just a matter of adding one jumper to a conventional circuit to connect the bridge pickup to the middle on Tone-2, or on the Delta style, one jumper can connect the middle pickup to either the bridge or neck on tone 2 or 1.
    Regardless, the configuration of the tone controls will not impact the "quack" in the 2 and 4 positions.
    Always keep in mind that Leo was not a guitarist. His original designs and what came later were based on lap steel needs. Amps of the time were not particularly bright (and Leo had hearing problems). Given this, the tone control was omitted from the bridge pickup with it intended to be used to cut through the mix.

Another option is to rewire Tone-1 as a master tone, and rewire Tone-2 as a blender, connecting the bridge and neck pickups, allowing for a Tele tone on positions 1 and 5, or all 3 pickups in 2 and 4.
    With the blender rolled off, switching and "quack" are not impacted.

mexicaster and zerorez like this.
  6. CB91710

No change from existing, depending on your taste.
    Through the years, single coil Fenders have stuck with 250k pots, but tone cap values have varied from the current 0.022mfd up to 0.1mfd
    With the tone control on 10, there is little to no difference. The higher values (0.047-0.1) result in more highs being rolled off, so the control is a bit more responsive.

Nate D and zerorez like this.
  7. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

If I change the tone control options to 1 master to bridge and 1 for both the neck and middle, will this effect quack in the 2/4 positions?

Minimal if any noticable effect, and that is a good tone control configuration to have.

zerorez likes this.
  9. PCollen

.022uF cap is the Fender standard, and you only need 1, You will only need to change the wiring at the pickup selector switch

Nate D, CB91710 and zerorez like this.
  10. CB91710

Agreed.
    Most flexible option without adding a blender.
    The bridge is "more brighter" compared to the middle than the middle compared to the neck, so it is more natural to have the bridge on its own control, and then you don't have two controls interacting between the 3-4-5 positions.

I do like the idea of a blender pot, or simply a toggle connecting the bridge and neck pups to get the middle Tele-like sound. The G&L S500 has this from the factory.
    By Tele-like, it's not going to be the same without the Tele bridge pickup configuration. The bridge plate makes a difference in the magnetic field.
    But the connection does add more flexibility to an already versatile configuration.

Nate D and zerorez like this.
  11. CB91710

Here's your 4 basic options without getting too elaborate.
    None will impact the "quack" in 2-4.

This does not include the blender pot option with master tone, "Greasebucket" option, treble bleed, or the "Tele switch"

You can see, it's just a matter of adding/removing/moving a jumper, and the wire from Tone-2 to the 5-way switch.

Strat Tone Options.jpg

12. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

.022µF

and put those pups down level with the pickguard, and try the treble side up about 1/16-1/8"

The low output (vintage) pups sound killer like that.

And BTW , THIS is the Tundra !! :D :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    zerorez, Nate D and PCollen like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Well...since I think quack (2 and 4) is the great mediocre maker...I don't have anything to offer. Quack is wack. LOL

I like a master tone and a blender. And a three way switch wired like a post 67 Tele. The blender is for the middle pickup. I do enjoy all three at once.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    zerorez, Nate D and lineboat like this.
  14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

The value that sounds good to you. Try .015, .022, .047. And .1uF.
    I use .1uF in everything but my 65, which has the original .05.

zerorez and Nate D like this.
  15. PCollen

If using a single-ply vintage pickguard, which is about 1/2 as thick as the 3-ply, you might not want the pickups adjusted level with the pickguard, but it's a good place to start and then "play it by ear".

zerorez likes this.
  16. zerorez

zerorez New Member!

On Frailin's website, the loaded pickguards with two tone controls offer a option for two tone capacitors.

The separate tone for the bridge pickup, has the option for a value called the magic cap?

Based on the recommendations here for tone options and not affecting the 2/4 position quack.

I am going to go master volume, master tone, blender.

57/62 Fender's on order, looking forward to the new pickups. :cool:

17. PCollen

You can add separate caps to each tone control on any typical Fender Strat..it's an easy mod.

Understand that the 57/62 aftermarked, OTC set Fender sells does not have a RWRP middle pickup, at least not the last time I looked into it. Only the 57/62 set on the Classic Player 50's has the RWRP middle pickup. That's odd, but that's the way it is.

zerorez likes this.
  18. 1300Valencia

1300Valencia Senior Stratmaster

I'd start with 1/8" from the bottom of the two E strings to the top of the polepiece (and no closer), not how far the pickup sticks out of the pickguard. But that's just me.

PCollen and zerorez like this.
  19. PCollen

That is the correct way it should be done. Distance from bottom of E stings to top of pole pieces, not height of pickup cover above pickguard.

zerorez likes this.
  20. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

I just add a simple jumper to the stock wiring. This gives me tone#1 working For the neck pickup, and tone#2 working for both the middle and bridge.

zerorez and guitarchaeologist like this.