59 vs Jazz for cutting through?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by TangerineDog, Feb 23, 2020.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

I'm reassembling an old Strat for jamming purposes and this time, it's just about cutting through - which, of course, is mainly an amp thing, but every little helps :D
    I'm going with an HH setup with a JB in the bridge.
    For the neck, I've got a 59 and a Jazz and am wondering... which one has more mids? Which one will be heard better?

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

They're nearly identical pickups. I think the distinction is mostly a marketing thing, with one meant to be sold along side the JB and the other marketed as a PAF replica.

TangerineDog likes this.
  3. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talker

I got the impression that the Jazz was a little brighter/thinner than the 59 which can get a little more muddy with some extra bottom end in the neck. I seem to recall they are very similar and someone mentioning that the type of magnet is the biggest difference.

the 59/JB combination is what Dave Murray (Iron Maiden) has used in his Les Paul for years. He is better known for his Strat Playing. But their latest album studio recording is all Les Paul with the 59/JB combination through a Victory amp.

4. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

The Jazz and '59 neck are functionally identical, spec wise, AlNiCO 5 bars and inductance and DC resistance values that overlap within the margin for error. I think the '59 probably uses enameled wire, and the Jazz polysol, but that's a trivial difference.

I think the Jazz was simply meant to be PAF spec neck, but with a four conductor wire so that it could partner with the JB bridge and split in super Strats and shredder guitars, because the '59 was marketed as a vintage correct two conductor pickup. But as time went on, people wanted 4 conductor '59 neck pickup, and a bridge pickup that also had the name "Jazz", and so their original marketing got all mixed up, and now they pretend they're more distinct than they really are.

Last edited: May 3, 2020