Join Strat-Talk Today

5e3 kits

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Wxman2000, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wxman2000

Wxman2000 Strat-Talk Member

Hey all, got a question for some of the more experienced out there. Long story short, I'm having a surgery shortly that will have me off work for 6 weeks so I'm looking for something to keep me busy around the house once I feel up to it.

I've always wanted a good 5e3, but I'm unsure if my skills would be up to something like that. I've got minimal soldering experience (changing pups, building pickguards, etc.), but from the looks of it, an amp is a lot more involved with less margin for error.

Basically, I'm wondering if one of these kits (looking at the Mojotone ones) are something that is doable for someone with minimal experience...or would I be better off finding an already built one on Reverb or something?

I appreciate any advice/insight. Thanks!

93-Strat and Stratoskater like this.
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Just take your time and follow the plans and you should be fine. 5e3’s are insanely great amps. You can find prebuilt ones for good prices as well. I got the fender 57 Custom deluxe last month and it’s by far the best amp I’ve ever owned.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

For a first time build, I would build something simpler, like a Champ.

Triple Jim likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

If you can build a model airplane, you can build an amp. Follow the layout/schematic, make good solder joints, have clean lead dress, check everything at least 3 times, and you'll be fine.

I'd start with a Champ though. It's a simple build. :)

CB91710 and rolandson like this.
  5. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, a champ is perfect to start...and then to mod !

Take your time and choose a kit with good schematics and a step by step guide.

Good luck and enjoy ! Building amps is even more fun than building a partscaster : )

6. Wxman2000

Hmm...maybe I'm getting ahead of myself then...to be honest, I don't even know what lead dress is!

7. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't worry about it being too complicated. If you can't build a 5E3, you probably can't build a champ. My first and only amp build was a JTM45 bluesbreaker. Even that amp is really just more instances of the same kind of activities. Research thoroughly and have good instructions to follow. And remember the absolute most important instructions to follow are safety instructions.

I will say the main reason I built the amp was I wanted the experience of building an amp. If you just want a 5E3, you could buy one for not much more than a good kit. Possibly not more. Especially if you need to purchase proper tools to do the job.

93-Strat likes this.
  8. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

My first build was a 5e3, 20 years ago. It was a kit, came with really good instructions. Most I'd ever soldered was a cable. I took my time, it came out great.

93-Strat, fezz parka and Triple Jim like this.
  9. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I wasn’t so good with the models.

MitchellD1 and fezz parka like this.
  10. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Go for the 5E3 a lot more bang for the buck. Just post questions here if you have them. There are some extremely knowledgeable members here who will be happy to help you. Mojotone offers some of the highest quality kits available.

11. Wxman2000

How are the instructions with the Mojotone kits? Are they just diagrams, or are the more of a step by step layout?

12. fezz parka

Mojotone sells the kit with a C12R. Wrong speaker IMO.

93-Strat and Stratoskater like this.
  13. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Which is the right one?

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

If using a Jensen it'd be a P12r or P12q like the originals came with. Alnico Blue works well too I've heard. My 57 Custom Deluxe came with a Jensen designed for it and I believe designed after the P12q. IMO the 5e3 should have an alnico (like the P12) not ceramic (like the C12) speaker.

93-Strat and dbolt like this.
  15. fezz parka

Any AlNiCo. The classic speaker for a 5e3 is a Jensen P12Q. I prefer a Red Fang.

93-Strat, Stratoskater and dbolt like this.
  16. Wxman2000

Well, I came across a Carl's Custom 5e3 on Reverb this morning with a price to good to pass up...a bit less than a kit. It looks to be in great shape and I look forward to giving it a good workout when it arrives. Maybe getting a prebuilt one will satisfy my needs here and then I'll try out an easier Champ kit someday.

Silvercrow and Stormy Monday like this.
  17. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Get the mojo kit and then go to the fender amp field guide site and print off the schematic of for the 5E3 chassis layout and you will likley have no problems with the build , or surly nothing we could not help you with!

93-Strat likes this.
  18. Stevem

By the way, you can get mojo kits with or without the speaker, or up grade the speaker if you just call them.

Myself I would up grade to the Jensen p12Q, or if you want less bight on the top of your notes the Jensen C12N model.
    The 12N model will also be louder which these amps can make good use of if your playing out in a band !

19. Stevem

God speed on your recovery by the way!

20. Stevem

PS, there is a mod to the amp that you are going to make right off the bat to the filiment/ heater string that involves adding two 100 ohm 1 watt resistors and some added wire.
    Contact me when the time comes that your starting to building the amp.

fezz parka likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.