• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
It always amazes me how people want to try to redefine absolute truth. These redefinitions cause nothing but division even among the people that scream for tolerance and unity. When all they are showing is their own ignorance.
Enough of that talk about the difference between new and old math.
Math is math and no matter how you look at it, it is 9. Inside the parentheses first then left to right.

Last edited:

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
This equation recently was found on Facebook, and I was surprised how many argued for one of two possible answers: 1, or 9. Battle lines were drawn between those in the "old math" and "new math" camps, with references posted by both sides supporting the rational for their answers. I didn't monitor the posting to determine if there ever was a definitive resolution. FWIW, I was in the "old math" x=1 camp, as I see the problem as being 6 / 2(1+2) = 6 / 2(3) = 6 / 6 = 1.
If that's true my maths are terrible, the item in the ( ) should be done first so it would (1 + 2 ) = 3 x 6 / 2 =9

CalicoSkies

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 10, 2013
Beaverton, OR, USA
I've seen some math arguments on Facebook too, and I feel like my answer is right but it makes me wonder if I forgot my math, or if the rules are different now..

I thought the answer to this should be 1, but my phone calculator says 9. I guess I can see how it would be 9.. Parenthesis comes first, but then I remember multiplication and division is done from left to right, so you end up with:
6 ÷ 2 x 3
That becomes 3 x 3 and you get 9..

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
USA
It always amazes me how people want to try to redefine absolute truth. These redefinitions cause nothing but division even among the people that scream for tolerance and unity. When all they are showing is their own ignorance.
Enough of that talk about the difference between new and old math.
Math is math and no matter how you look at it it is 9. Inside the parentheses first then left to right.
It's only a matter of people using the parentheses differently in different parts of the world.

The actual math hasn't changed at all. It's just a sequencing of operations.

ThebiggestJerk

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 26, 2018
Home
Order of operations:
Pretty please my dear aunt sally.
Parentheses, powers, multiply, divide, add, subtract.

let’s make it easy rewrite it to read:
6/{2(1+2)}=X… more bracketing for convenience.
So if we divide both sides by 6 we get 2(1+2)=x/6
Then either with FOIL or the distributive property 6=X/6, divide each side by 6 and x=1

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
PEMDAS or in this case PMD since there are no Exponents, Addition or Subtraction. Answer is 9.

P 1+2 = 3
D 6/2 = 3
M 3x3 = 9

There is no "old" math or "new" math. There's just math and BS ways teachers try to explain it, or the methods they find acceptable to determine the answer. But the answer is always the same.

EDIT FOR CORRECTION: Double checked my work. Changes reflected above.

ANSWER IS 9. I forgot that MD and AS do not have a specific order except in the mnemonic but as @Believer7713 pointed out from left to right, (whichever comes first). Now I remember why I always hated that specific mnemonic. It's not really useful.

Last edited:

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
To me math is addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Once you start adding letters and punctuation it is no longer math
I used to feel that way too, but really any symbol is acceptable as long as the people doing the maths agree on the symbol.
You will see it more in higher order maths, weird symbols some of which I surmise may be unique to the equation.

The letters are just variables or unknowns, if you put a number there then it isn't variable or unknown.:confused:

ThebiggestJerk

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 26, 2018
Home
PEMDAS or in this case PMD since there are no Exponents, Addition or Subtraction. Answer is 1.

P 1+2 = 3
M 2x3 = 6
D 6/6 = 1 All day long.

There is no "old" math or "new" math. There's just math and BS ways teachers try to explain it, or the methods they find acceptable to determine the answer. But the answer is always the same.
It’s a language.

Status
Not open for further replies.