• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilroy

Strat-Talker
Jun 21, 2011
PA
The answer is 1, and there is no discussion to be had, no opinions. It's PEMDAS. The order of operations: Parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

6÷2(1+2) = x

P: 1+2 = 3
E: N/A
M: 2(1+2) = 2x3 = 6
D: 6÷6=1
A:N/A
S:N/A

davefest

New Member!
Apr 7, 2021
New Orleans
PEMDAS / BEDMAS / BODMAS… They’re useful but flawed because people take them too literally. Division and Multiplication carry the same weight and adding and subtracting carry the same weight. The important thing is to take care of what’s inside the brackets and the exponents, then multiplication, division left to right and finally adding and subtracting, left to right.

FWIW, my daughter tells me they are now teaching GEMS:

G = grouping; i.e., parentheses
E = exponent
M = multiplication/division
S = sutraction/division.

Left to right within M and S. The E level might still need elaboration, but definitely a big step forward from BODMAS/PEMDAS.

Dave

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
Says the poster that writes without capitalization and punctuation.

I see what you did. Pretty clever!

i am informal here cuz i usually miss something when i check my spelling and stuff anyway. plus my brain talks faster than i can type so i just lay it down so i do not forget.

but i try my best to be sure communication still occurs even if i am an informal typist.

i wish i could type this well -

bf1024

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 24, 2019
florida
It always amazes me how people want to try to redefine absolute truth. These redefinitions cause nothing but division even among the people that scream for tolerance and unity. When all they are showing is their own ignorance.
Enough of that talk about the difference between new and old math.
Math is math and no matter how you look at it, it is 9. Inside the parentheses first then left to right.

NOPE..Inside the parenthesis first, then order of operation...NOT left to right...order of operation is M-D-A-S (My Dear Aunt Sal----we learned that in 3rd grade, amazing how many forgot it). Who's the dummy now..heh, heh

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
This is the only correct answer. Math is called the universal language for a reason, because those who know it, properly read it the same way. Imagine if scientists, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, etc. decided on using their own interpretations of the "rules of math". Wow, the tubes, circuit boards, speakers, etc. on your precious amplifiers would be incompatible, not to mention airplanes literally falling from the sky, etc. While there are many "either/or" conversations, this is not one of them.
Believer7713 You nailed it. At least according to the old school math I was taught. When my kids brought home elementary math in the late 90's and showed me the processes they were being taught I was stunned. It seemed the math establishment had replaced and distorted a process that was simple with a harder and less logical process. No wonder my son didn't get it.
Really, I stopped reading this forum until a little while ago when I saw I had been quoted.
The laws of mathematics are constant and purely concrete. Like the Law of gravity. I know this is cliché but if you step off the roof of your house you will fall. That doesn't mean gravity exists. The fact that gravity exists means that you will fall.
The laws of mathematics dictate what the answer will be. The answer does not dictate what rules should be followed. That mentality creates a "my truth" situation and in those, no one will ever be able to agree, or be right, because the absolute has been removed from the truth. If there is no absolute then there is no universality which creates a world of chaos. Just like this thread. These laws are not in any way abstract like the laws of society have become. These laws also continually apply throughout all math the higher you go. They do NOT change...EVER. They also don't care if you agree or not.
The laws that dictate math state that the parenthetical question needs to be answered first. Then since multiplication and division do not take precedence over each other but do over addition and subtraction then you MUST solve them in the order they are read (Whether that be left to right, right to left, up or down). If you assume that there is a other set of brackets in this equation you are wrong. The equation is written correctly and should be read 6/2 (=3)multiplied by the quantity of 1+2 (=3). Therefore 3•3, 3×3, 3(3) however you choose to write it, equates to 9.
What we are dealing with here is a case of ignoring the basics. These rules of math are even the reason that music works the way it does. It's no wonder that music theory is so confusing to many...since the basic laws of simple grade school math have been blurred by people that want to change the world.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
NOPE..Inside the parenthesis first, then order of operation...NOT left to right...order of operation is M-D-A-S (My Dear Aunt Sal----we learned that in 3rd grade, amazing how many forgot it). Who's the dummy now..heh, heh
But since I read from left to right the order of operation is () First, the division THEN the division. So I'm not The dummy.;)

rcole_sooner

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
PEMDAS seems to leave out left to right as the first rule.

o_O

..and as I reread my own post, I noticed the post above mine. But as far as I know the implied multiplication is equivalent in ordering to the division. That means () is not first, () come after dividing 6 by 2. Then that value is multiplied by the contents of ().

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
Because it's ...

6/2(1 + 2) = 6/2(3) = 6/6 = 1

No it isn’t. This is literally grade 7 math. The point of this little expression is to see if the student understands the order of operations and if you didn’t answer with 9, you got it wrong.

When it comes to multiplication and division, outside of brackets, they have equal importance so it is always left to right.

6/2(1 + 2) = 6/2(3) = 3(3) = 3x3 = 9

If you’re a real star of the grade 7 class and you really understand order of operations you can solve outside the brackets first and then inside the brackets because you know that division and multiplication have equal importance and you can do this.

6/2(1 + 2) = 3(1 + 2) = 3(3) = 3x3 = 9.

Yeah, that’s right… I just blew your mind

bendeane

New Member!
Jan 20, 2013
A basic sub-rule to PEMDAS is perform multiplying/dividing from left to right based on whichever operation is first. PEMDAS holds multiplication/division as equals and addition/subtraction as equals performed left to right. If we're gonna follow rules, we follow all of the rule, not just the parts we remember. The origins of this equation are either forgetting that the MD and AS are equals performed left to right, or are counting on half of us forgetting that sub-rule for exactly the purpose that has been displayed here.

ThebiggestJerk

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 26, 2018
Home
The answer is 1, and there is no discussion to be had, no opinions. It's PEMDAS. The order of operations: Parentheses, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

6÷2(1+2) = x

P: 1+2 = 3
E: N/A
M: 2(1+2) = 2x3 = 6
D: 6÷6=1
A:N/A
S:N/A
The issue that seems to exist is in the order of operations in that apparently in some parts of the world division comes before multiplication.
But bottom line is that it is 1 because this coefficient 2(1+2) needs to be handled first. You can’t divide 6/2 and just leave off the (1+2). That’s just poor maths.

Mhannigan

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 30, 2021
It always amazes me how people want to try to redefine absolute truth. These redefinitions cause nothing but division even among the people that scream for tolerance and unity. When all they are showing is their own ignorance.
Enough of that talk about the difference between new and old math.
Math is math and no matter how you look at it, it is 9. Inside the parentheses first then left to right.

+1 (get it?)

9 is the only correct answer. There is no other answer to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.