Status
Not open for further replies.

AxemanVR

I appreciate, therefore I am...
Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Open a math book yourself and learn real math the right way

Its healthy for your mind and its fun. The basic maths is all the proof you need and its not my fault you fail to understand them.

I already said its simple. Order of operations and distribution go hand and hand its really as simple and elementary as that. If you cant understand that from me actually open up a math book and dont take my word for it.

That’s just it, I don’t take your word for it. You have absolutely no credibility. Your demeaning attitude is all you have to back up your unsubstantiated statements. And you provide absolutely no confidence that you know what you’re talking about.

I’ve been researching this exact equation and the vast majority says the answer is “9”.

My own calculator says it’s “9”.

Sorry, but making blanket statements and snide remarks falls way short of proving you’re view is the correct one.

You claimed to have gone to college. Wouldn’t a college professor require you to back up your statements with documented facts rather than conjecture and rhetoric?

Last edited:

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
That’s just it, I don’t take your word for it. You have absolutely no credibility. Your demeaning attitude is all you have to back up your unsubstantiated statements. And you provide absolutely no confidence that you know what you’re talking about.

I’ve been researching this exact equation and the vast majority says the answer is “9”.

My own calculator says it’s “9”.

Sorry, but making blanket statements and snide remarks falls way short of proving you’re view is the correct one...

Your best source again is an actual math book. Dont take my word for it. Read a book and learn real math the right way yourself. If you dont understand it or know how to use a calculator the right way your going to keep on getting the wrong answer and falling for this simple, basic math trick.

Start with a good source, not me or random people on the internet, as said use the best source and that is an actual math book and learn actual real math.

Nothing beats learning real math from a real math book. Cheers.

Last edited:

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Your best source again is an actual math book. Dont take my word for it. Read a book and learn real math the right way yourself. If you dont understand it or know how to use a calculator the right way your going to keep on getting the wrong answer and falling for this simple, basic math trick.

Start with a good source, not me or random people on the internet, as said use the best source and that is an actual math book and learn actual real math.

Yeah “cheers”...

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
Sheeezzzzz....!

I am so fu*king embarassed.
Spouse wandered by and I said:
"Quick, what is the solution to...
6÷2(1+2)

She took one brief look and said...
I said "you're nuts, it's one".

She said " Says the guy who's hand I held through Diffy Q's..."

She's right. 43 years ago she did hold my hand through that, and Quant.
So I did what every loving spouse of 35 years would do. I set out to prove her as much an imbecile as most of those arguing that the solution is 9...
I went and dug out my daughter's middle school math text.
This is what I found...
20210819_174231.jpg

20210819_174242.jpg

Oh...
Because I'm stupid.

It really is 9

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada

People will and have stopped debating you. Don’t get the idea it’s because they think your right. It’s more than likely that they realize you aren’t open to looking at their arguments and their energies are better focused on other things.

As I mentioned earlier, when all the computing systems get 9 and you get 1, it’s probably not them that need to recalibrate.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Infinity is a concept. I don’t think there are any mathematical branches that consider infinity an actual real number.

I just dabble in Calculus but I’ve seen it used in Calculus more as a comment that the function of whatever your solving is infinite meaning as x increases, y decreases or vice versa and that there is no end to the increase or decrease. It’s like a line that continues in both directions without beginning or end.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen infinity used as a number because it wouldn’t return a result you could define. For instance you couldn’t say x is the amount of money I have to spend on guitars and x = ∞-1. You can’t solve for x and get an actual number. X would always be ∞-1.

Do you have any examples of where infinity is used as a real number in daily real world math problems?
Johnny Carson had an old joke about the only number greater than infinity was infinity plus shipping and handling.

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
Glad I could help.

No “cheers”, as in “I’m done with you”, but you don’t seem to understand that simple concept either.

BTW: 6÷2(1+2) = 6÷2x3 = 3x3 = 9

Yes, 2(1+2) by itself is 2(1)+2(2) but with the 6÷ placed ahead of it, (1+2) = (3) comes first, THEN division follows that - from left to right - then finally multiplication.

And frankly I don’t care what a turd like you thinks...

0A50D177-57AA-4285-9BE4-7467DFF83A63.jpeg

Last edited:

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Sheeezzzzz....!

6÷2(1+2)

So I did what every loving spouse of 35 years would do. I set out to prove her as much an imbecile as most of those arguing that the solution is 9...
This is what I found...
View attachment 501759

View attachment 501758

Oh...
Because I'm stupid.

It really is 9
This is correct but again when you have parenthesis in an equation you have to finish distributing before you carry on with the equation and that means multiplying whatever is in parenthesis with whatever is outside and then go on.

While this is correct it, in regards to this equation one cant ignore the distributive property which also applies in this equation as well.

Its tricky but if you try to find a similar equation in the book and go at it yourself, check with the answers in the back of the book and see what you find. Most likely you will find that you have to apply the distributive property fully by getting rid of parenthesis all together going into order of operations and finishing up the equation to get the correct answer.

fernank017

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 17, 2010
Canada
People will and have stopped debating you. Don’t get the idea it’s because they think your right. It’s more than likely that they realize you aren’t open to looking at their arguments and their energies are better focused on other things.

As I mentioned earlier, when all the computing systems get 9 and you get 1, it’s probably not them that need to recalibrate.

Computing systems aren't the standard for the OOO because there are multiple standards. Not all calculators come up with 9 and not all calculators come up with 1. Stop perpetuating those myths. The order of operations change based on the mathematical field in question. Some journals, such as the "Reviews of Modern Physics", and the American Physical Society, (and many others) will openly state that multiplication comes before division, addition/subtraction are treated equally, and that functions like a/b/c are ambiguous and should be written as either (a/b)/c or a/(b/c) to avoid ambiguity, which is what this expression is. It's ambiguous, and one answer is not more correct than another.

Skychurch

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 31, 2013
Denver, CO
Sheeezzzzz....!

6÷2(1+2)

This is what I found...
View attachment 501759

View attachment 501758

Oh...
Because I'm stupid.

It really is 9

So you have me thinking ... ok, how does having the denominator as (ab) + (ac) differ from having 'a' factored out? Doesn't (ab)+(ac) = a(b+c)?

I'm still getting x = 1 no matter how I do it. I could be forgetting something; it has been a while but I did somehow make it through Calc I, II, III, DifEq, all types of EE and physics courses.

Maybe I should get my money back :) It's all in fun but you (your wife, mostly) has me rethinking my steps.

I've done it long hand, using my HP Prime (CAS mode), using my trusty HP-41C RPN and I keep getting X = 1.

I haven't had this much fun talking about Stratocasters in a long time.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
USA
I recall reading an article from BBC about this very math problem when the big debate first erupted online. I can't find that article now, so perhaps I was wrong about it being BBC, because now I see this solid write-up at Slate. Anyone participating in this thread should give it a looksie. It's a pleasant invitation to check the ego.

Like everything else, math is mutable. As someone pointed out above, even numbers are ultimately subject to human language and its expressions. Language is a symbolic, and therefore slippery, medium. It changes over time. Things are lost in translation. Meanings are disputed and overdetermined. Etc.

@The-Kid, it's good to see you back in these pages. But I gotta say, you're coming off a bit condescending with all this "basic maths" "elementary" "open up a math book yourself" stuff. @AxemanVR seems to be particularly annoyed by it for some reason, but it's all just getting silly.

Last edited:

AxemanVR

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Minnesota USA
It's ambiguous, and one answer is not more correct than another.

I was leaning towards it being “ambiguous” at one time, but after searching and finding that the answer “9” appears to be far more prevalent than “1”, that would seem to imply that the consensus agrees more with one than the other, thus making things more “decisive” rather than “ambiguous”.

In fact the poll here (albeit as unscientific as it is) also reflects that sentiment.

And, ultimately, isn’t that how “standards” are set?.

So, despite the “alleged” tendency to go either way, the two results can not be considered equal, therefore one can only conclude (if we had to pick one or the other right now) that one is “more accepted” than the other and ambiguous-ness is no longer an absolute truth.

So let the nay-sayers gnash their teeth all they want and call everyone who chose “9” idiots, because (unfortunately for them) the alleged idiots won this round and set the theoretical standard...

Last edited:

Skychurch

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 31, 2013
Denver, CO

Interesting article.

The article states,

"If you calculate the problem using this convention, it’s 6 divided by (2(1+2)), which is 1. Typically, though, if the author wanted you to interpret it that way, she would have used parentheses to indicate as much."

I guess that's the part I'm not convinced of ... we don't know who the author is so we don't know for sure how they wanted one to interpret this expression. Maybe they had no freaken clue either :)

Andrew Wasson

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
So you have me thinking ... ok, how does having the denominator as (ab) + (ac) differ from having 'a' factored out? Doesn't (ab)+(ac) = a(b+c)?

I'm still getting x = 1 no matter how I do it. I could be forgetting something; it has been a while but I did somehow make it through Calc I, II, III, DifEq, all types of EE and physics courses.

Maybe I should get my money back :) It's all in fun but you (your wife, mostly) has me rethinking my steps.

I've done it long hand, using my HP Prime (CAS mode), using my trusty HP-41C RPN and I keep getting X = 1.

I haven't had this much fun talking about Stratocasters in a long time.

Hmmmm HP41C caught my attention. I always wanted one of those. Beautiful programmable calculator and they still command a high price. That’s an engineers machine.

I still have the Ti55 programmable that I could afford in 1979 from my paper route money. Then I got a Ti58C programmable (C is for constant memory, thank goodness). It’s also a worthy programmable.

My Ti55 and Ti58 machines will give me 9.

My circa 1977 RCA CDP1802 powered Cosmac ELF 8-bit computer with 32k RAM / 32k ROM with Basic also gets 9 if I run a simple BASIC program:
10 X = 6/2*(1+2)
20 PRINT X

Maybe I ought to try with an HP 41C emulator. I’ll have to brush up on RPN.

I’ve also got a Sharp PC1251 pocket computer but I’m pretty sure all basic interpreters will give me 9.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Computing systems aren't the standard for the OOO because there are multiple standards. Not all calculators come up with 9 and not all calculators come up with 1. Stop perpetuating those myths. The order of operations change based on the mathematical field in question. Some journals, such as the "Reviews of Modern Physics", and the American Physical Society, (and many others) will openly state that multiplication comes before division, addition/subtraction are treated equally, and that functions like a/b/c are ambiguous and should be written as either (a/b)/c or a/(b/c) to avoid ambiguity, which is what this expression is. It's ambiguous, and one answer is not more correct than another.
Please tell me what the 000 means in the context of your post. A G search indicates a connection to the spiritual infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.