6÷2(1+2) = x Solve for x

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by PCollen, Aug 14, 2021.

6÷2(1+2) = x Solve for x

Poll closed Aug 16, 2021.
  1. 1

45.1%
  2. 9

54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Maths lol

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Are you 100% sure. I mean we need 5 builders here to figure it out and they have to ask 1 manager at Home-Depot.......

Your just 1 builder dividing the work 6 people have to do.

Your the builder here not me.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Nope still ain't happy + I'm getting pissed at myself
    600 x 1200 brings me to 720,000
    This one gonna eat at me

The-Kid likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

You got it right this time.

It was a trick question......much like the equation in OP.

5 builders and a Manager at Home-Depot could figure it out but we just need 1 @Bob the builder to get the correct answer.

Sorry for the horse play but just had to.

Whether higher or simple maths no maths are possible without following simple arithmetic and the fundamentals here such as the basic properties of math and proper order of operations.

Either way you get a pack of smarties and a golden star sticker!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

My biggest stumbling block in school was quadratic equations and it's been alot of years

Skychurch, CB91710 and The-Kid like this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah trust me and tell me about it hell I forgot how to find the Maximum Area here for this word problem and I just learned the math for it about 2-3 years ago.

Honestly forgot much of it but again remember the basic properties of math and the proper way of doing order of operations following the properties of math which is essential to all maths.

Like I dont mean to be a complete asshat about the math here and well it really isnt like this forum is going to dictate how math works by popular opinion but as Ive said over and over again......

The basic principles of maths and the fundamental properties of maths is all one needs to do real math correctly along with some plain old common sense and well out of all the things folks disagree on out of bad faith or lack of good faith, IMO math is the one place we can and should all agree on just faith alone to be a certain way and show us a little bit of whats still good in the world.

Math is just undeniably beautiful IMO and its just a real force of nature, a force of the universe and a force of life.

7. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Great so....

These are the "Alt- Professors" right? Or how the kids say now a days the "Ternive-Professors"..........

8. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Me and the ((basic properties of maths)) lulz....

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

Listen, I’m sincerely not trying to start a new pissing match with you, but am just hoping we can at least agree on one thing (please hear me out before jumping to any conclusions)...

Parentheses aside, if one sees 6÷2(1+2) as being the same as 6÷2x3, then we are talking about the same basic expression as the one used in the example I showed earlier:

a ÷ b x c

https://www.strat-talk.com/posts/4450014/

I’m NOT asking anyone to agree with that, but, to hopefully understand how that conclusion can be made. And whatever ratio of “right” vs “wrong” that exists appears to have been notably obscured because of it.

My point here is NOT to prove one or the other is correct, but that “AMBIGUITY” does in fact exist (as it pertains to this seemingly simple, seemingly innocent expression).

To remove all doubt, the equation should have been absolutely written as:

6÷(2(1+2))=x

or

(6÷2)x(1+2)=x

Then it would have been 100% crystal clear! Either way, I am now whole-heartedly in agreement with those who believe that an immeasurable degree of ambiguity is undoubtedly the crux of this paradoxical debate.

So, whether it’s “1” or “9” is no longer my argument, but whether a “sufficient cause for disagreement on both sides” plays a significant role.

That’s ALL I’m saying.

Thank you in advance for your understanding...

Skychurch, The-Kid and dirocyn like this.
  10. AxemanVR

An addendum to this previous post:

https://www.strat-talk.com/posts/4450014/

Once again, I’m NOT trying to state this as some sort of fact that “proves” or “disproves” anything, but rather, I’m just conveying what I have found (or more accurately, what I haven’t found), as it relates to the “Distributive Properties” argument.

So I scoured that Algebra book I mentioned previously and actually found nothing that resembled a “division sign” (÷) followed by “distributive properties” type equation a(b+c).

In other words, I found nothing that even remotely suggests that our 6÷2(1+2) expression is a thing... which actually struck me as being quite odd.

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but (assuming the people who wrote that textbook were aware) I can only conclude at this time that they purposely avoided it altogether to remove any chance for misunderstanding or maybe never considered it in the first place because it wasn’t concise enough.

If that is the case then I give them a lot of credit for their foresight.

Anyway, I’m not saying a÷b(c+d) doesn’t exist, just that I haven’t discovered the “missing link” to support its existence...

...from a reputable source...

...yet...

Skychurch and The-Kid like this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah I hear you and most likely you will probably not find an equation like that in Algebra. In any event the distribution property, commutative property and associative properties and their different types apply here IME.

In Calc and Pre Calc you find a couple equations like the one in OP frequently and usually they are a part of an even bigger and longer equation with other parts similar to it.

You also sometimes had to convert fractions into a single line usually and it would look like this equation when changed from a fraction to a straight line equation.

I recognize it and the type of equations because it was one of those type of equations that when typed in a calculator without additional brackets would not yield the correct answer in the back of the book and when doing on real paper with a pencil would screw everything up if you didnt compartmentalize terms like this properly.

Even the best students had a hard time understanding it and even though they didnt understand it fully, and hell I didnt either in PreCalc at the time, pretty much we simply followed the properties of math and did it this way even though we didnt fully understand it as our tutors and Professors told us to just do it this way.

By the time we got to real Calc it just made sense and like a lightbulb the reasoning/logic behind it went off in my head half way in because we were dealing with infinity and even crazier numbers and symbols and conversions of math. Math was just not possible without the basics and it became evidently clear how much they mattered and why they mattered.

12. AxemanVR

`
    In light of no new evidence this discussion appears to be at a stalemate, since (after 751 posts) there appears to be nothing that specifically proves or disproves either of these conclusion to be absolutely right or wrong:

Stalemate.jpg

Furthermore, this contradiction and lack of any credible evidence to clarify things indicates that the real answer (to the question of "Which one is the correct one?") can even potentially lead to an equally contradictory: "Neither" and "Both"...

paradox.jpg

The reason "Both" may apply can be likened to asking people whether the color of the sky is "Blue" or "Azure". Either would be considered perfectly acceptable as far as I can tell.

The reason I include "Neither" is because I haven't found any evidence that the expression a÷b(c+d)=x even exists, and, if something doesn't exist, then how can it ever be quantified? It can't.

And just because I can actually "see" the expression 6÷2(1+2)=x right in front of my stupid face, that only means it's been "illustrated" but not necessarily "Proven to exist in the real world in some meaningful way". For instance, just because the word "Zombie" exists doesn't prove that actual zombies really do exist (except for the musical group "The Zombies" and the ones in "The Walking Dead" TV series of course).

Anyway, in such a divided, contemptuous debate there has to be irrefutable proof or it's "Not a Thing"...

`

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Skychurch and dirocyn like this.
  13. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Thanks for playing. I'm now edumacated and in the "9 camp" . You can all go home now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.