6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by rocks, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've been wanting to get a 6 string bass, how much time did it take you to get used to the added two strings?

2. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

My guess is twice as long as it takes to get used to a 5 string. :p

3. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I've been wanting to sit down and really give a 6 string bass a real test drive. The problem is every time I have time to do it there is some Victor Wooten wannabe there playing some funky stuff that makes it impossible for me to really hear what I'm playing or keep my timing.

4. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I wanna be Victor Wooten too, don't you?

5. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't mind being able to play like him, but its not really my style of music. I'm more into the classic rock, hard rock, blues and old metal. But if I had my choice I'd like to be able to play guitar like a combination of Jeff beck, David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix.

6. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I can see your point, but it only strengthens my own point lol. That dude has such a mastery of the bass guitar, can you imagine what you could take to your own styles of music with his amount of control and speed?

7. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

yes, but I don't need every wannabe there making noise when I want to try out a new instrument! The worst part is that you tend to see a lot of the same people there doing it. It makes me wonder if they don't own a guitar and just go to GC to practice on something they can't even afford.

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Strat-Talk Member

Are you looking for additional low end or something more like a Baritone guitar/Bass VI/Bajo Sexto to add texture or some cool rumble to your playing?

I'm not into the ultra low-end contrabass stuff. I love watching other players doing that stuff, but not what I like to play (or really listen to for any more than about 30 seconds). I do like the additional low-end twang of a Bass VI. Those are beyond fun to play.

9. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Strat-Talk Member

How much time?

I played one for a couple years, I went back to 5 string. After 20 years of playing a 4 string I could never get comfortable with the narrow spacing between the strings. I like the added range but it was just too hard to get my picking up to speed. Really threw everything off, especially poppin' the upper strings. YMMV.

10. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Hmmm, that does give me something to think about. I guess the only way I'll know is to try a few different things. I hadn't thought about the other possibilities until you just mentioned them. I think maybe one string lower and one higher than a 4 string bass would be cool for a little added range on both ends.

11. cmatthes

Ah...six string basses are overrated.

You need a TWELVE.

[​IMG]

(ha ha ha!!)

12. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Yeah, you'd pretty much have to just tap the fretboard with both hands at all times to use all of those strings.

13. cmatthes

Actually, it's just like playing a 4 or an 8, just an extra set of octaves in there. Takes a little getting used to, but sounds like a freakin' freight train.

14. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I know it's just octaves, I just can't imagine getting a proper pluck or slap on it. I imagine little to no space at the pickups to get a finger between the strings.

15. cmatthes

[​IMG]

Actually, it's not too bad in there, just better with a pick to get all the extra chime and grind from the octaves. I've seen a couple of amazing players snapping, plucking and popping on these before, but that's a different thing altogether.

16. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Yeah, it's definitely made for a pick. If you were meant to hit all those octaves with your fingers, they'd have strung it with the octave strings below the primaries.

17. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

I wouldn't want to tune that harp either.

18. cmatthes

Ha ha!! Not bad at all, actually once you get used to it.

Back to the OP's topic (sorry if I derailed anything!), I've seen the Bass VI used convincingly as a bass many times - never pulled the plug and snagged one over the years, but they are cool and different to play. I recall about 10-12 years ago that John Cougar Mellencamp's guitar player (not Mike Wanchic, some other guy) played leads on a Shell Pink Bass VI on two songs. Sounded amazing.

19. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Can you imagine the stress on that neck from 12 bass strings? It doesn't look like something with skinny fingers could play, they'd never fret all three strings. I'd like to hear that through a vintage SVT.

20. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Probably needs more than one truss rod.