60s Series Strat from around 2000

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
8DC5F1BC-DE13-43E4-B5E2-C60D444C5C3F.jpeg 0C210C32-D0C0-4BC1-B2FC-AD17DC97B8B8.jpeg Hey everyone. My buddy who I’ve known forever suddenly pulls a Strat out the other day. He said “oh yea, I never showed you my real fender”, so I thought what the hell, get it!!

He doesn’t play guitar as of yet, and he bought this guitar around 99-2000. I said, dude this is a 60s series from then. Mexican, White with mint guard and so on. I’m setting it up for him so maybe I can get him started playing.

Anyway, holy cow it’s a nice guitar. The build is fantastic and the pickups are seriously good. After I took out some neck relief, it already started to play nicely. A little more tweaking, and he is going to have a great guitar to learn on. This thing has been sitting in its case for 20 years and it’s basically mint. Sorry for the incredibly bad pics-my phone is crap.

guitarman1984

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 24, 2013
Italy
Classic series are nice guitars, basically an American Vintage except for the poli finish and the generic vintage pickups.
Cool!

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
I ya ent told the dude yet, but I’d buy it if he ever decides to sell. It’s in perfect condition. The neck feels really nice. It’s the right color combo that I like. I’d change the bridge pickup to something less harsh, but it’s perfect otherwise. The fit and finish of this particular guitar are as good as anything other Fender I’ve played. Very impressed. Sorry for the gushing, but it’s cool.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
I ya ent told the dude yet, but I’d buy it if he ever decides to sell. It’s in perfect condition. The neck feels really nice. It’s the right color combo that I like. I’d change the bridge pickup to something less harsh, but it’s perfect otherwise. The fit and finish of this particular guitar are as good as anything other Fender I’ve played. Very impressed. Sorry for the gushing, but it’s cool.
I have multiple sets of those same pickups. All you have to do is run a tone pot to the bridge position, and the pickup sounds great. My outlook on strats has changed dramatically since I started using master tone for all 3 pickups.

Even vintage bridge position pickups sound good now, when i used to hate them, just a matter of weeks ago.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
I have multiple sets of those same pickups. All you have to do is run a tone pot to the bridge position, and the pickup sounds great. My outlook on strats has changed dramatically since I started using master tone for all 3 pickups.

Even vintage bridge position pickups sound good now, when i used to hate them, just a matter of weeks ago.
That is great information and thank you! That makes complete sense. I’m not too savvy with the electronics end of a guitar. I feel a little dumb about this-I have multiple strats that are HSS with a master volume and master tone. I forgot until playing this guitar that the bridge pickup isn’t wired to the tone control. Again, thank you.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
That is great information and thank you! That makes complete sense. I’m not too savvy with the electronics end of a guitar. I feel a little dumb about this-I have multiple strats that are HSS with a master volume and master tone. I forgot until playing this guitar that the bridge pickup isn’t wired to the tone control. Again, thank you.
No problem!! It will always sound twangier than a humbucker, but it definitely is great for a rock tone with more mid/treble emphasis, with some overdrive.