Join Strat-Talk Today

60's Stratocaster pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Oliade677, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Oliade677

Oliade677 Strat-Talk Member

I posted last year about a partscaster I picked up which consisted of a 61 body with 72 neck. What I'm curious to know now is, are the single coil pickups potentially original to the body?

The pickguard, knobs, and saddles were replaced, but the ton pots and selector switch are original, along with some of the wiring. There's also a Gibson T-top patent sticker humbucker in the bridge position. I need to take an ohm reading of the pickups, but there are details that match those of a 60's Strat. They both feature unmarked black backs, staggered poles, and the bobbin is thick showing no signs of waviness. Even the eye test looks good, as they appear aged.

Some overall history on the guitar. It's evident the guitar was serviced in the 70's. There's a professional route job done in the bridge position to accommodate a humbucker, and a special-ordered 4-bolt, single piece maple neck was installed. My assumption is the original neck died an untimely death. So bottom line, extensive work has been done to the guitar. I realize the plastic leads are 100% not original to a 60's pickup, but I think it's reasonable to postulate that the leads were redone as part of this work, or even at a later date.

What do you make of these pickups? I'll be sure to post info on the ohm reading once I've done that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

They could be, but they've been modified - that's now how Fender hooks up to the eyelets for the bobbin and it's the wrong type of wire coming off the pickups for anything 1960s.....they would be cloth push back originally, and would have been soldered to the eyelets then put through the hole just above those 2 eyelets - so the wires come out the bottom.

The humbucker looks to be a Gibson or Gibson knockoff

Do you have a meter to measure resistance?

3. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talk Member

It seems unlikely that those are original pickups.

But is that the remnant of a Pat. No. sticker on the humbucker?

kris ford likes this.
  4. Oliade677

I'll measure resistance tonight. The leads have almost certainly been changed. My thinking is that they connected the new leads to the back of the bobbin so as not to interfere with the original winding of the pickup. Could be totally wrong.

The humbucker is definitely a Gibson "patent sticker" T-Top.

kris ford likes this.
  5. Oliade677

Ohm reading for those interested.

Neck pickup:

[​IMG]

Mid pickup:

[​IMG]

And another pic of the pickup straight on:

[​IMG]

6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

They could be, they copper wire fits what Fender was still using in early 60s. But they've been drenched in wax.

I'd shoot an email to Fralin and ask. Maybe include diameter and length of the magnets also. That way he can verify if they're vintage or not.

Oliade677 likes this.
  7. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

Your DCR measurements look good. The specs below were allegedly made by Seymour Duncan.

[​IMG]

Rob DiStefano at tdpri.com could be a good person to ask. He has a lot of experience with old fender guitars and he is a respected pickup winder who has done many repairs. And always willing to help.

Comparisons with known samples is a good idea also. I found these. Assuming this set is original. Difficult to see for sure but your pickups appear not to have the same round edges on the top of the poles like these. Can we take another look at the tops?

More pictures at the link.

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/de...R-STRATOCASTER-PICKUPS.6K-ORIG-MINT-SHAPE.php

[​IMG]

Oliade677 and Seymour Duncan like this.
  8. Oliade677

I see what you are saying. Here are some better pics. I think they share the same characteristics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A user on another forum suggested the pickups were south polarity with clockwise tl/tg winding. All things given, seems these could be ‘61 pickups.

9. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

These new pictures give a better view. The nearest pole piece to us on the middle pickup looks a little flat when compared to the others but even with that I cannot see anything that says to me with certainty that your pickups are not genuine. It is easy to check magnetic polarity with a little compass.

Wake up @LtKojak :)

Oliade677 likes this.
  10. Oliade677

Awesome, I think there's sufficient evidence to surmise that the pickups are genuine. The body is dated 6-61, the pickups have 23rd week of 1961 codes, the serial number on the neck plate dates the body to 1961, and even the case falls in the correct era. Pretty exciting, if true!

I'll pick up a compass and test polarity tonight, FYI.

CFFF likes this.
  11. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Yep for sure..that is an early 70's version T TOP, (no ifs, ands or buts..the slotted screw is the tell there ;) ) had 2 just like it in my old 71 SG.

CFFF likes this.
  12. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Oliade677

That's perfect, as that also fits with the age of the neck (May of '72). My guess is that early in the 70's either something happened to the original neck, or the owner decided they wanted a different feel for their guitar and opted for a maple neck and a humbucker in the bridge position.

kris ford likes this.
  14. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Would love to see that 72 neck..is it a four bolt, or converted to 4 from 3 bolt set up?

15. Oliade677

It's a "Special" stamped factory 4-bolt, one piece maple neck. Definitely an oddity for the year. Most necks of the time had two string trees, a bullet truss accessible from the headstock, and 3-bolt setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guy Named Sue and CFFF like this.
  16. LtKojak

LtKojak Strat-Talker

Are you sure the body and specially the neck are real Fender???

Those single-coils look and measure pretty much like Seymour Duncan SSL1s.

The HB seems to be a Gibson early Pat#.

17. Guy Named Sue

He'll have to have a pickup winder take a look at the single coils and measure the magnets in length and diameter to see. They have been potted and wires have been changed, it could be Fender.

The HB is not a real Paf, it has the wrong kind of screws.

18. Oliade677

Seymour Duncan pickups appear to be clearly marked. These pickups have no markings. I contacted Rob to gather his thoughts. He says the flatware appears to be comprised of vulcanized fiberboard and that the coil wire appears to be the correct formvar. He also said it would be impossible to prove the parentage of the pickups. We may not have a definitive answer, but given the overall specs of the guitar, I'm inclined to believe they are original to the body.

Regarding the neck and the body, what gives you pause? A factory 4-bolt, one-piece maple neck is not a common 70's Fender neck, but they are out there. Here are a couple that share many of the same characteristics:

https://www.eddievegas.com/store/de...RATOCASTER-WITH-SYNCHRONIZED-TREMOLO-1971.php

https://reverb.com/item/1893746-fender-stratocaster-1971-maple-neck-four-bolt-one-piece

https://reverb.com/item/4063442-fender-stratocaster-1971-neck-4-bolt-one-piece-maple

https://reverb.com/item/14374660-fe...t-maple-neck-hendrix-tone-1971?show_sold=true

Personally, I don't have any doubts about the neck. As for the body, there are a number of markers that correspond to a 60's body (nail marks, dowel marks, pin router marks, possible remnants of original finish in input jack cavity, correct weight and shape, neck plate with '61 serial number), but I can't say with 100% certainty.

19. Oliade677

You're right, it is not a real PAF pickup. But that's because it is a patent # sticker HB. Check out Kris Ford's post above. Here's a set that has the same characteristics, as well:

https://reverb.com/item/2380850-gib...ups-1971-les-paul-sg-335-67-74?show_sold=true

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  20. Guy Named Sue

Oliade677 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.