Join Strat-Talk Today

'62 AVRI Strat's.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by the picker, May 5, 2014.

1. the picker

the picker Strat-Talk Member

Hi,

First post and a question.

I'm looking at buying an '06 AVRI '62 Strat off of Craigslist. In my brief research I have found that these have been discontinued from Fender. Also, there is a sub culture around these particular guitars. Particularly how they have changed since introduced in 1982.
    I now know these are somewhat collectable, especially the early "Fullerton" reissues which are generating some amazingly high asking prices on E-Bay!

My question is, are the early "Fullerton" reissues really that much better than the "Corona" reissues? I mean, is there really a big difference in quality between an '84 '62 reissue and a 2006 '62 reissue (other than how many were made )?

Thank you, and I'm happy to be back in Strat-Land after many years!

2. radiocureee

radiocureee Strat-Talk Member

Take a look at my recent thread on here "Fullerton 62 vs CS. You'll find some links to other discussions as well as some answers you seek---the same ones I was seeking.

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Having owned and played many from all different eras...I can say that no,I wouldn't consider one era better than the previous in terms of quality.They have varied over the years but most of the differences are really cosmetic and in terms of vintage correctness.The workmanship and build quality has always been great since the 1982 ones.Like any guitar,it is always hit and miss....either you connect with a particular one or you don't.You can play ten guitars of the same series made the same day and you will find differences in each one that make you prefer one over another.I prefer the current post 2012 reissues(pure vintage series is a common title)because they are the most vintage accurate model to date....but vintage accuracy doesn't mean better quality.A 1987 AVRI 62 Strat might not be as vintage accurate with it's 'wrong' body shape,poly undercoat,white pickguard ect but it can still be a fine Strat in it's own right.

RevBillyG and guitarista#5 like this.
  4. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

I'll say one thing, finding a nice Strat like that on CL and getting to try it out and maybe bargain for a good price (although it might move fast..they are not common) is my preferred way to buy.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not sure that the early RIs are better quality (however you define quality), but they are different. Body curves are different, & the necks are noticeably slimmer than later RIs - so I prefer them. One of the main reasons the Fullerton RIs sell for so much is that they're rare - they didn't make so many back in those days. They are also an important part of Fender's history - the time when Fender re-learned how to make proper Fenders after the horrors of the 70s.

Whether the early ones are better or worse than the later ones is a matter of preference & opinion.

mabley123 likes this.
  6. Stratplar

Stratplar Former Member

7. the picker

avri usa

O.K., so I get this start on a good Craigslist deal and I don't see a "made in USA" anywhere . However, the neck plate a a "V" serial #. Did they make Japanese AVRI Strats as well? Should I be concerned? Is there a definitive way to check USA made authenticity?

Thanks Again

8. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

No "Made in USA" on AVRI. And serial starting with "V" is correct.
    There are clues to identify AVRIs but you never 100% sure. The early ones (82-86) are easier to authenticate because they have couple of uncommon features.

Fender Japan never made AVRI simply because AVRI are supposed to be made in America. But there is a series that is quite similar. The early Fender/Squier JV series (Japanese Vintage) were probably as good as their US counterpart.

RevBillyG likes this.
  9. the picker

Thank you!

10. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

I had a 1999 '62 AVRI which I bought new.

To this day I have no idea why I found such a well made Strat so uninspiring..?
    It sounded great, but it still left me cold (strange!).

I sold it without regret.

Maybe it was the overly orange neck ?

Maybe it just lacked any kudos / mojo or whatever? I don't know, but the fact that it came a definite second to my JV guitars is telling (the JV's aren't made any better, (except for the rosewood fingerboards; the JV's were a notch up on 'that particular' AVRI in that respect), but the JV's have a more vintage vibe.....deeper contours etc.).

I would love to get an early fiesta red Fullerton RI (plenty of history and kudos!). I think I would bond with it better, but they are well out of my reach on price now.

11. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

I have a recent (2011 or 12, can't remember) AVRI '62 and I'm hard-pressed to find fault with it. Everything about it is perfect; it's put together right. It also has a very thin finish and with the amount of play time I've put on it, it's already starting to feel like an old friend. I also have an early-Corona AVRI '62 Precision Bass. I wouldn't say there's any discernible difference in quality. Both are exceptional instruments.

12. Rockape

I am waiting for those 'pure vintage' models to be produced in fiesta red with a rosewood neck ('59), then I will go for it!

13. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

The AVRI '65 in Dakota red was beautiful. And the couple ones I tried did sound great.

14. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Strat-Talker

Wow this brought back memories! I had the same type of vibe with a 1997 '57 AVRI I bought used from a pre GC store in 1997. I remember the best thing about that guitar was buying it and then driving home with it. I was on cloud nine to say the least. It was my first expensive Strat.

Brought it to band rehearsal and the party was over. Maybe the hype got me? Sold it shortly after for a new hand picked 98 AMSTD. That was a long time ago and I feel my taste have changed. I remember hating the pup's but now I like those old 57/62's. But at that time I was not inspired. Like to have another shot at it though..

RevBillyG likes this.
  15. Rockape

Hi blueworm,

Yes, I think there was one at Musikmesse..? (Maybe not dakota red? can't remember now).

I'd love a '65 model, but a rosewood '59 (being my birth year) in my favourite fiesta red finish is the one I have to have! Come on Fender!

:)

16. Rockape

Yeah, same here.

Got it home, sooooo pleased that I had got the new more vintage accurate model, but after a few plays, it ended up in my cupboard for years.

It left my custody because my son was gutted that he could not afford the (his dream) white Gretsch Electromatic he was trying out when we were in a guitar store near us.

He has young children and had no way of affording it, so I just was walked up and asked if they would take the 1999 AVRI in part ex (a swap would have been fairer but they are a buisness, so I had to pay an extra £200).

I had to laugh, because the shop staff viewed it with so much suspicion, until the manager walked up, gave it a quick once over and said "you've got a deal!"

This was it at around 10 years old (no change when I traded it last year.....100% Mint!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With my early JV (check out the orangey headstock):

[​IMG]

I was not overly impressed with the AVRI's contouring.
    AVRI below, JV above:

[​IMG]

AVRI left:

[​IMG]

The burst is more brown on the MIJ JV.

1999 AVRI: Great sound! Great build quality! Somehow uninspiring ...???

The current AVRI's are closer to the original article!

RevBillyG likes this.
  17. otstratman

otstratman Strat-Talk Member

I owned and played a 1987 Fender AVRI '62 Stratocaster Fiesta Red. I had been through a Black one and a "first year" Gun Metal Blue American Standard with the hope that the "Fender Eric Johnson Ad" would be true in regards to the claim that the all new tremolo solved the tuning issues of earlier Stratocaster's. Maybe so but I was a teenager and had no idea what a good set up was? I bought this '62 RI from a Luthier whom had purchased this one and a '57. He told me he was selling the '62 because he wanted the '52 RI Tele. I immediately fell in love with this Fiesta Red Strat because it was very well made and the set up was perfect. It was one of those Strat's which really did stay in tune even with whammy bar usage. It was my one and only Strat from early 1989 when I bought it (for $500.00) up and until around 2016 when I sold it for 4X what I paid. In hind sight I should have kept it. I went through many Strat's until I found a '54 RI which was almost as good. Stupidly, I ended up trading that '54 RI for a beautiful 2005 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster will the Bill Lawrence Designed "Samarian Cobalt Noiseless" pickup's. That was a really good Strat but I never bonded with it. The moral of the story here is if you have an old or newer Fender AVRI '62 Stratocaster and you either really like it or absolutely love it then keep it forever. Believe me you will save yourself a lot of grief and regret by doing so.

18. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

I've owned two 62s, one was a 1987 and the other a 2008, not much difference other than the 2008 had better chrome plating on the metal parts. The 82-84 Fullertons are expensive because they have original bridge and saddles pre-CBS parts or parts made on the pre-CBS tooling. Fit, finish, quality, "mojo" wise, they are nothing special. I've owned both the 57 and 62. There is only TWO differences on those models - the fretboard material and pickguard. Other than that, exact same guitar.

The pickups in them are a matter of taste. They are bright, some say shrill, they are glassy and lack warmth.

The 7.25" radius is great for non-benders. It's comfortable, but doesn't work well with bending up the past the 12th fret.

Unless you just want to own one to own one, there are as good or better guitars for the money. The MIM Classic Player is 90% of the same guitar with better sounding pickups for 1/2 the money. The Squier Classic Vibe is 75% of the guitar for 1/4th the money.

And here's a BIG thing... the color of any AVRI. in a 62 if it's CAR or 3TSB, it's worth 1/2 what a white, blue, red, green guitar is worth.

19. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

Since I've been collecting/playing for some time now, I think I have one version of each of the AVRI and AV models (Strats , Tele, Jazzmaster, Jaguar) that were available. These guys have it right when they say that the earlier models were something less than vintage correct.
    That said, they are all at the top of Fender's offerings, CS included. You can't go wrong here, but don't think of it as an investment. I've never had trouble nailing down any of them, from 82 onward.

20. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I recommend FSR AVRI '62 (have it) in Tropical Turquoise, is a incredible guitar (check Reverb for...). I would say it's next to CS concerning quality/build and those 57/62 pups sound great being a real fit!

Kester likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.