Join Strat-Talk Today

'62 AVRI Strat's.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by the picker, May 5, 2014.

1. omni43

omni43 Strat-Talker

I have a 2006 AVRI that I bought used 2 years ago. It is sort of a blueish green, I forgot the actual name of the color. It is definitely the best guitar I own. I have 8 different guitars, and I always come back to this one. But like others have said you may or may not bond with it.

2. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

I own V002504
    6-25-82 x 62 Reissue
    3 x Red Bobbin Pickups.

There were 3 different color bobbins on the earlies guitars. Red, and Grey were the most uncommon, and Black was the standard color.
    Some are a mix of all 3. Some have 3 Grey ect. The Red, and Grey Bobbins are the most sought after. No Red/Grey are found after V008000-1982.

The Fullerton Bodies more resemble a 54 than any other year, though they are still different. 54 had the most contour of any post 54 bodies. The Fullertone Reissue bodies also have a very slim, and curvy design. I like these bodies as well as any. Better than most.

The earliest guitars alo have hand routes, as the control plates didn't fit, so they had to route them by hand at first. Mine is one of the hand routed bodies.

I also have 7-13-82 x 57 Reissue Body I used for a Partscaster, and is my #1 Guitar. Have had it for 9 years. I love the bodies, but they are expensive to buy. It is also hand routed.
    My 62 Reissue also has 2 Factory String Trees.

The Nut Width on the early AVRI are 1 11/16th, so it is a compromise between 1.50, and 1- 3/4. 1 11/16 is same as a Les Paul.

Fender took a Poll in Guitar Player, and asked what features they would like in a Strat, and AVRI is what they built.
    .79 thick at 1st fret. May be .82 - .84 at 12th.

Fender started offering Necks from the Factory starting in 1960. They have several different Nut Widths.

Normal nut width for a Strat was 1 5/8. In 60 they started offering
    • A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
    • B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
    • C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    • D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.
    The earliest JV Guitars had all USA Electronics, and in many cases have the Red, and Grey Bobbin pickups. They also have Vintage Correct 1 5/8 nut, and 12th fret dot spacings. Bodies are different though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. mabley123

Partscaster with 7-13-82 x 57 BODY.

2 x 66 Strat pups
    1 x 65 Strat pup
    Ilitch Noise Reduction Backplate
    MannMade USA Tremolo
    Gotoh SGL510Z Height Adjust Post. Mak Lok 1:21
    Torrified Maple Neck
    African Blackwood Board.
    Tommy made the neck.. USA Custom Guitars.
    12 Radius
    1 inch Fatback
    Vintage 6230 frets
    1.625 Nut.
    Historic Makeovers Guard/1 Ply-Celluloid Nitrate
    Plek/Assembled Joe Glaser Instruments.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

IMO, the '62 RI improved as a "reissue" over its production life. The Fullertons are least accurate, but far more directly linked to Fender history, and will retain more value and desirability over time. The 1998 to 2011 AVRIs are incredible player guitars, if you prefer vintage specs and a durable finish. The 2012-2017 AV/"PV" line are so accurate and excellent that I sold my beloved AVRIs to replace them with those in 2013. Sorry, I'm wandering off track...

If you like the Fullerton and can get it for a good price, you can't lose.

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Good chronology - but I do want to point out that the 2nd generation of AVRIs lasted until the middle of 2012; the revised AV/"PV" models weren't released until mid/late August 2012. So there are 2012 AVRI models as well was 2012 AV/"PV" models. But that really only comes into play when discussing the '52 Tele, as it was the only model that was continued in the AV/"PV" series; all the other models changed to represent different years.

6. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Yeah, 2012 was the transition year; I could not get my greasy hands on one until 2013...

Regarding the '52 Tele, they kept the name, but changed everything. I had a gorgeous, perfect '99 '52 AVRI that I bought after running the racks for a year, and a CS NOS Nocaster that I acquired thirdhand for an absolute steal (in-your-face, best tele pickups ever). When I picked up a 2016 '52 AV whilst buying a sack of picks at a Guitar Center, I was immediately blown away and knew that it would be leaving with me. The post-2012 AV is really a CS NOS '53, but with lighter wood than the CS used for their NOS models and no poly undercoat; this 2016 is bland-looking, but weighs about six and three-quarters pounds and the neck feels perfect, thicker than the AVRI '52 and far slicker than the Nocaster U. The problem with the pre-2013 AVRI and the CS NOS models is the heavy poly undercoat, unless you're playing out often, in which case it is your friend. The PV pickups do not have the overwound balls of the early '99 Nocaster (look those up), but they sound more like vintage recordings of blackguard teles than anything else I've played. The AVRI sounded excellent like all AVRIs, more cut for band use, but was not really an authentic blackguard sound. FWIW, the AVRI '62 Jazzmaster also had way more balls for surf and rock than the AV '65 that replaced it, but the AV '65 feels perfect.

Anyway, another off-topic dissertation from somebody who dug the originals and started buying when the RI scene became really compelling in 1998-99.

The AOs are outstanding player instruments, but I prefer a 7.25" radius and no thick undercoat.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    How is that Ilitch BPNCS working out for you?

I just put a set of Fender Pure Vintage '54 pickups in my 2018 Fender Road Worn 50s Strat (no RWRP middle pickup) and, while I'm really happy with the tone, the noise is a bit too intrusive for anything other than hard driving rhythm playing.

I'm not expecting absolute silence and can live with a small amount of hum. Does the Ilitch sufficiently reduce the amount of hum overall to make it worth the cost?

Thanks!

`

8. mabley123

I love the Ilitch. Iv had it a long time now, and recommend it.
    I got mine when they only made the backplate.

They make a guard now, and is what I would get. Not that 1 is better than the other though.
    They will put it on a supplied guard if it passes their inspection.

AxemanVR likes this.
  9. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Come on guys....

None of you noticed it was a 5-year old Zombie thread???

[​IMG]

Mr Dunlop likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.