62 Strat Reissue, American or Japanese Model?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zimbo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. zimbo

zimbo Strat-Talker

I'm thinking about getting a Fender 62 reissue strat. I'm debating whether to get the American Corona model or the MIJ model. There's a big difference in price and I'm wondering if there is a big difference in quality?

Here's a local one f/s at a pawn shop that I played and liked although I think it's overpriced.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/msd/4466713674.html

2. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You're right that's a silly price.

I would be happy with an AVRI62 or an ST62. Both are high quality guitars.

3. DEXTER74

DEXTER74 Strat-O-Master

Looks nice. Does it have the mint guard on it? At any rate, maybe you can negotiate with them and get the price down some. Decide on a price you are willing to pay, and see how close they will get to it. Offer them a lower price than you expect to get it for, then go up from there. Good luck.

4. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

It is very overpriced. I and several others on the forum are a bit prejudiced in favour of MIJs but I do think they represent great value for money

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

You can probably get a a VSP for 300 less than that new, and a VSP MIJ is pretty much a reissue. An st62 would be great too or a Classic Series 60s MIM, neither a true reissue but they both have enough vintage features to make you feel like your playing good stuff.

6. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

You need to remember that the MIJ's are not true "re-issues", they are models that are based off a certain era in Fender's history....and the MIJ's have several models in the ST-57, St-62, etc....series, with various appointments, like the base line might have ceramic P/U's and the upper line might have USA vintage or Texas Special P/U's. The bodies might be alder or basswood, again depending on the series.

I would go with the AVRI if you want a true AmReissue....good luck

7. The-Kid

What are you paying for in a reissue?

Specs.

Aside from the specs the MIJ stuff also seem to have sleeker and morr correct contours than a lot of avri's. Aside from some neck profile differences what are you paying for when you get an avri?

8. Aprilia

Aprilia Strat-O-Master

ST62/VSP.....2 piece alder body, US electronics, steel block, custom Alnico V pickups, quality the same as the custom shops I sold...........I'd do the VSP.

9. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Specs.....that is exactly what you are paying for....buying the AVRI (or what ever they are called now) gives you the exact (very close at least) specs of that model guitar. With the MIJ's, you might get a basswood body or ceramic P/U's. Unless of course you know exactly what to look for, and besides the 200 people here, not many outside this forum know the difference, but there is difference.

I own a few left handed MIJ strats (ST-57, ST-62, ST-68) and they are very nice guitars. But they are not replica's of '57, '62 or '68 strats.....the specs are not consistent with '57, '62 or '68 strats.

10. The-Kid

Well either a ST-62 TX or VSP model would do IMO....probably have better countours too.....

Both are alder and have alnicos and vintage speced.

Cant go wrong with either. Hey but if you want to get an interpretation of what FMIC passes of for vintage then go ahead and pay the extra dough.

11. STRAT'71

STRAT'71 Senior Stratmaster

I find the deviances of the MIJ guitars from the original are these,
    1. Poly finish instead of nitro.
    2. Low grade pots and switch.
    3. Mazak tremolo block.
    4. Bodies may be basswood. Can be alder.
    5. Plastic sheathed wiring.
    2, 3 and 5 can be cheaply upgraded.
    The pickups up to 1996 are alnico, after that, ceramic. (As supplied to Europe and USA{?} in the nineties)

They look more accurate than the original AVRIs.

My MIJ 54 and 62 are as upgraded as possible, including Fender pickups, and are great guitars.
    Given the choice, though, I would swap for the AVRIs

12. 98BlackStrat

98BlackStrat Senior Stratmaster

The older AVRIs are not much more vintage correct than the higher end MIJ VOS line which is also in Lacquer. The saddles slots on the AVRI 57 and 62s were not as long as what was used in pre-CBS Stratocasters and the AVRI saddles had "Fender" stamped on both sides instead of "Pat Pend" on one side. The string end recesses in the AVRI Steel Trem blocks were drilled too deep so that they could accomodate Bullet end strings. Also the Gotoh tuners did not have "Kluson Deluxe" stamped on them like a pre-CBS Stratocaster would. The new American Vintage line is a little closer in terms of those details, but the price went up quite a bit when they were introduced compared to the outgoing AVRI 57 and 62. On a personal level I would rather have an AVRI though because they are actually made in a Fender factory, and I'm still kicking myself a little for not buying an AVRI 62 when they were still available new.

I have an MIJ ST58 which is a beautiful guitar, but(I'm going to get flamed for this I'm sure) it's hard not to think of it as a licensed Fender copy...an extemely well built one though it might be.

13. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

All true. Unless you know your way around the specs, MIJs can be more hit or miss.

For me it comes down to the necks. The MIJ necks are fatter than the US, & they tend to have a shiny poly finish, sometimes quite thick. The various USRIs have nitro of some kind, even if it's only a top coat, & it feels different. It's not that it's necessarily better, I just prefer the feel. And it's the feel of the neck that makes or breaks a guitar for me.

So it's a very personal decision that only you can make. In my opinion you should buy whichever one feels best to you.

14. The-Kid

IMO when you get down to specs it really becomes redundant now dont it when you compare an MIJ and its MIA counterpart, they offer the same specs practically..........

Know what to look for and you will get an MIJ that is just as good as an AVRI or better when it comes to vintage specs minus some minor differences in the contours, finishes and neck profiles.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  15. Aprilia

Aprilia Strat-O-Master

I believe the VSP is nitro, they use the same electronics as the USA standards, a steel block, 2 piece alder body, cloth covered wiring, alnico pickups (which sound really good). I waited 3 weeks to get mine from Japan but it was well worth the wait. Just another option for someone looking. Oh, and killer customer service!

16. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Apples to oranges comparison, IMO. If you're ok with the specs of the MIJ, I would say save the money, and get a MIM Classic Series 60s. Closer in spec to the MIJ, but some better components (pickups). Or, spend a little more, and get closer to the AVRI and go with the new MIM 60s with the nitro.

17. The-Kid

This is simply not true.

My Waynes World Squier MIJ is closer to spec to a vintage body than my Classic Series 60s body ever will be. And the Waynes World is a "lower tier" model with a basswood body? Go figure!

Also another thing to note is that within the ST57/62 line there are tiers as well. If you wanted something like the Classic Series 60s MIM the counterpart would be the ST-62TX MIJ or something similar. Regular ST-62s have ceramic pups and basswood bodies but offer vintagy specs with the countours and the 7.25 neck and truss rod at the heel. The MIJ ST-62TX would be better IMO than the MIM Classic Series 60s in this because the MIJ would have better hardware with the steel trem and Texas Specials....Also nicer more correct contours on the MIJ.....

The more correct counterpart to a AVRI MIA however would be the ST-62VSP.

Really just comes down to preference. I really dont see how one could be better than the other. Different yes, but better......

Well that is subjective in my opinion.

Do you want a 62 strat or a 65?

One has a slab rosewood and the other a veneer rosewood. One has sleeker and deeper contours and the other is more recessed and not as long. The neck profile are different for sure as well.

These are the main differences.

ST-62VSP
    http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/st62-vsp.html

AVRI65
    http://www.fender.com/series/americ...ound-lam-rosewood-fingerboard-shoreline-gold/

18. The-Kid

For the price though the American aint bad and if thats what your heart desires then you cant go wrong either way.

When it comes to the specs you desire then the AVRI 62 or ST-62VSP would do and either would be a great option.

19. Aprilia

Aprilia Strat-O-Master

They are both great options. I've owned both and personally much prefer the VSP. The quality is second to none, the custom pickups are outstanding (I tried swapping in Fralin vintage hot's and put the stock pickups back in and sold the Fralins). The neck is what you would expect from a top of the line MIJ and one of the few I have bought new that didn't need to be leveled. BUT, you can't do wrong either way.

20. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

They really don't.

A large proportion of FJ guitars have basswood bodies and/or ceramic pickups, and/or cheap electronics. None of the AVRIs have this. Sure, some of the top of the range MIJs have better specs, but you really have to know your stuff to identify which is which. They don't make it easy to identify them!

Basswood bodies may have their supporters (it's true it's not a bad wood), but they are NOT vintage correct - no 1954 to 1965 Strat was EVER made of basswood. The same goes for ceramic pickups - no range that includes guitars with ceramic pickups & basswood bodies can legitimately claim to be vintage re-issues or vintage correct - they're just not.

And 90 something percent of MIJ Fenders are finished in poly - all the AVRIs have a nitro finish of one sort or another.

I'm afraid that your enthusiasm for Fender Japan guitars is shoving objectiveness way into the background.