Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

63 fiesta.... again

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Pinkfloyd1312, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Pinkfloyd1312

Pinkfloyd1312 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    The guitar that Gary's couldnt sell for 2 years listed at $47k is now listed by Emerald City for $10k more. I would pay more than I probably should for it but these guys just make it impossible to even make an offer..... Makes you winder ifbthat even want to sell it.

https://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-stratocaster-1963-fiesta-red-3

2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair

3. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

the 68 strat they have looks killer.

4. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

5. Pinkfloyd1312

Pinkfloyd1312 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    I just can't get over adding 10k to the price of a guitar that wouldnt sell, just seems like the definition of crazy. It's not like everyone that's looking at it doesn't know where it came from and what it didn't sell for. Internet has changed all of that moving stuff around to other local markets.....

6. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London
    Complete Smoke and Mirrors. It will never, ever sell.

That's a $20,000 guitar at best and they'll struggle to find a buyer even at that price. The only people who have $20k to spend on a guitar these days are collectors (not many left) and they will run a mile from the condition of that instrument.

SteveMAC, Michelotti and jofish like this.

7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    I do wonder sometimes if some dealers like holding on to their vintage instruments...!

Like "Look at all the cool old strats we have!" (because we never sell any ;) )

SteveMAC likes this.

8. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    It all depends on how much they have paid for it, or if on consignment, how much the owner wants for it...
    And, you only need one fool willing...

It's such a shame that we don't know the actual price for what these guitars are sold and only the advertised price.
    Some dealers try to get the most out of it, but it's impossible to know how low you can go and still walk out with that guitar.

9. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

emerald city has a pretty good customer list and eventually sells everything. Jay is a really nice guy. His business is also pretty diverse, so he can afford to sit on a few items, while others move.

Gary, OTOH... I have a friend who really likes him, so I think if you get to know him, he will deal... but I see a lot of his inventory just sit for a very long time.

I believe there are a lot of dealers that are hoping the market comes back to 2007 asking price levels. They buy low from individuals - most likely just below market value - and ask twice what it will actually sell for, thinking thinking their name will carry the weight to ask that amount.

10. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London
    [​IMG]

My near mint original one-owner 64 Fiesta with Gruhn's (personal) verification sold for just over $20k a couple of years ago. It took a year to sell and was a real struggle - ended up selling on Ebay.

I contacted a vast number of dealers in the UK and US including Gruhn's, Gary, Rumbleseat, Vintage and Rare and the best CASH offer I could achieve was $10,000 from a guy in California who wanted me to pay the shipping.

This was a 100% guitar with full provenance and no issues.

No dealers have any money. Just SOR or stuff they bought years ago cheaply.

Phone Emerald and ask what they'd pay in CASH MONEY for a similar guitar.

11. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

custom colors are tricky. they have been hit the hardest by the counterfeit market. BUT, I also believe that the more custom an item, the smaller the pool of buyers.

For example, your guitar is beautiful, but no matter how much I want a fiesta red strat, I'd still pass on yours because I want a slab board.

I want an olympic white strat too, but I'm much more flexible of it being slab or lam, but I would want spaghetti logo.

I'm probably dumb for being so specific, but thats what you get when you get to the narrow pool and I imagine there are others that have their own quirks in what they are looking for.

And the upcharge for the custom color isn't worth it to me, because I'm not looking to add to my net worth, so I would be just as happy getting a player guitar that I could have refinished to be whatever I want it to be.

12. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    I own an early 1963 Olympic White in very good condition, with full provenance since it was first sold. I've talked to some dealers and the money they'd give is just not enough. I understand however that they need to, because they are there to make money as well. Other option would be consignment, but add to my preferred selling price the commission and costs and the guitar would never sell. So, because it's my favourite one, I just keep it. Same with my other vintage gear. I can't even sell a '61 Vibrolux at a decent price.

What you say about dealers also goes for some owners. But I don't see the prices go up back to the level of before the bubble. It also wouldn't be correct, it's not worth it. We'll just need to accept that. And as far as the rare custom colours go, I don't trust if easily. I'll stick to sunbursts, olympic white, fiesta red and maybe CAR for Strats and Blondes for Tele's. Those were made in numbers, the others... well, just too tricky

13. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London
    Buyers are incredibly specific, and if you manage to tick all their particular boxes, then they will still offer 25% of the asking price and demand free shipping.

Even the super rich ones.