65 Deluxe Reverb Or 65 Princeton Reverb? I need to decide..

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by peiyuanchao, Aug 3, 2021.

65 Deluxe Reverb or 65 Princeton Reverb (with 12 alnico speaker)

1. 65 Deluxe Reverb

2. 65 Princeton Reverb (with 12 alnico speaker)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

All you need is a skateboard to move it.

2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Instead of an attenuator, you should look for a drive pedal you like the sound of.

3. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

In my limited experience with attenuators they are not really the answer .... if the question is how to get that loud-amp-dialed-into-the-sweet-spot sound but at lower SPL levels. There are a couple of components in the tone equation of a pushed amp that can't be duplicated without volume because they require the speaker to be excited to an appropriate level. You can get part of the sound of a power section being pushed but that doesn't build in the speaker related components of the tone. Or maybe I am missing something? Do attenuators now come with "pushed speaker" emulations?

stratocarlster likes this.
  4. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

This is true if the intention is to run the amp at 8 but attenuate it down to the level of 2 (plus it will be eating tubes). But if you want it at 8 with the sound output of 5 or 6 - yes it won’t sound exactly the same but it will be pretty close.

You could also use something like an OxAmp to get all the dynamics of a cranked preamp from your amp and then use a speaker emulation for the cranked speaker at any volume, and they work really well but of course are expensive. So yes, some attenuators do come with pushed speaker emulations.

But in the end I agree that a good tube amp needs to move air to start showing it’s potential.

5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I had a ‘68 deluxe reverb for a couple of years. For be it started to break up a little to early, earlier than a ‘65 does. Coukd be what you’re looking for.

6. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

The UA Ox-Amp is freakishly expensive for a bedroom rig.

peiyuanchao likes this.
  7. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

I know this is sacrilegious, but as a bedroom player, I would also look at the Tone Masters (Deluxe, Twin, Super)

They are pretty close to the tube counterparts, and with the attenuators, you can get great break up at bedroom level.

If it HAS to be tubes, the new custom 68 Vibro Champ at 5 watts is another option.

jtoomuch, Morf2540 and Jead like this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

At bedroom volumes they're cut from the same cloth.

Stage volume is where the differences come into play.

Impulsive guppy and tanta07 like this.
  9. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

Princeton

That is all

I had an Ampeg 15/7.5 watt switchable amp until just recently, first tube amp, and apart from its insane clean headroom (you couldnt make it break up - even taps fully open), the one thing i learned is that even 7.5 watts is LOUD. The day i sold it a few weeks back was the only time i ever heard it at its full potential of 15 watts (as i told its new owner), previous to that it had never been above 4 (On 7.5 watt half power mode) in my high density unit building.....

While the Princeton wont have the insane clean headroom i had, or even as much the Deluxe has, it will start breaking up nicely at the point where your neighbours maybe wont hate you

I had actually been on the hunt for a '65 Princeton before i bought that, but the Ampeg came along at $400 while the Princeton was $1500-$1700. Ive had to give up playing after 30+ years due to a shoulder injury, but i think ill always wish i had of gotten the Princeton ...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    peiyuanchao and ratdoc like this.
  10. Jimgchord

Jimgchord Strat-O-Master

Princeton reverbs do sound nice, best with a 10" speaker imo. They arent exactly the blackface fender sound like the deluxe reverb, they kinda sit between tweed and blackface tones.

11. ratdoc

ratdoc Strat-Talk Member

For my money, I've never heard anything I liked better than a 12" Princeton Reverb...ever.

stylemessiah likes this.
  12. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

i had a mesa i could switch between 5, 15 and 30 watts - and yes, the overall volume change was not what logic thinks it would be.

stylemessiah likes this.
  13. peiyuanchao

peiyuanchao Strat-Talk Member

that is so intresting, getting the best in two worlds! thank you!!

14. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Either choice is great, but I might go for the Princeton for the 12” speaker.

stylemessiah likes this.
  15. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

Yes. UNLESS you just want a clean tone. You can't really turn either up enough to get some grit and still call it bedroom volume.

16. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Has owning one or the other been a long-time dream, want, desire? If yes, get that one, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself for letting it get away. If no, then consider the following:
    • Part of the Makeup Of Breakup™ ;) is the speaker. I use my 1972 PR mainly for Jazz gigs, so I ordered a Weber Vintage Series Ferromax 10" speaker spec'd for late breakup/clean tone. Most speaker manufacturers make models for a range of clean to dirty. In general, ceramic speakers have a cleaner tone than alnico, but it all comes down to speaker A vs speaker B, there are some alnico that are cleaner than some ceramic.

• Since you're going for that clean Fender tone, if you do replace the speaker, get one that's "American Voiced," not "British Voiced."
    • If you set it on 7, do you want the neighbors saying, "Do I hear a guitar?" Or would you prefer, "Who the #$%&*! is playing that darn guitar so loud!?"
    IMO, the Princeton Reverb is ideal for bedroom levels, with or without pedals. I live in a tiny house (500 sq. ft.), I rarely turn any of my Fender tube amps up more than 3 unless I just want to rock out for a while. I'm lucky in that my closest neighbor is far enough away that I don't blast his ears.

17. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I haven't read through all the pages, but I am also of the thought that the bigger the better (power wise)... I play a Super Reverb at home and it sounds fantastic. My father has a Deluxe Reverb and it is plenty loud (as you say). So whether you've got a Princeton, Deluxe Reverb or a Twin Reverb, you will need to use an overdrive pedal if you want dirt. Even the Princeton will be extremely loud in natural overdrive, so don't go on volume alone.

18. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Either one, get a power attenuator to lower the volume for the bedroom. If you can find some more money get a vintage handwired silverface model and have a good amp tech convert it to blackface specs. Or get a loan and buy a blackface.

19. Eric Dahlberg

Eric Dahlberg Strat-Talk Member

+1 for the 10 inch. More chime, more air, less floor rattle, lighter, and lower price.

20. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Only one amp. Sorry.
    The Wine red Princeton with the 12inch Jenson.
    [​IMG]

tanta07 likes this.