1. Win a Player Pluss HSS Strat! Strat-Talk.com Member Giveaway! Click Here for Details

68 custom pro reverb

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Colestrat, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I’m thinking of buying either a pro reverb or a vibrolux reverb, what are the tonal differences? I just spent most of the day playing a 68 custom vibrolux it was pretty sweet and I know it’s much different from an original BF or SF vibrolux. I plan to convert the amp to a BF with a different speaker and different control plate. Between the pro and the vibrolux which sounds more articulate and which would be closer to an original BF?

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Just a thought: why not buy the the 68 custom vibrolux since you like it and just play it for awhile before changing stuff around? You might end up liking it long term as is.

Chmason85 and albala like this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Man you’ve been really going back and forth over these silverface amps! It’s understandable as it’s a big purchase. Buy a deluxe reverb and don’t change anything, you will find your sound if you just play it for a while, and it will be plenty loud. I personally use a 68 custom Princeton reverb for everything; it’s my only amp and covers everything I do.

panhandler1956 and Antstrat like this.
  4. Antstrat

Been through a boatload of Fenders (still have a bunch) and if there's one amp I'll never sell is my 65 DRRI. Bone stock for 15 years and still sounds great.

Chmason85 likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Not familiar with the Pro Reverb, but I love my Vibrolux. Got rid of my DRRI in favor of the Vibrolux.

PA100 copy.jpg

6. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I played a 65 DR as well today and it was very dark for me I did like the vibrolux but I want something new that sounds like an original black face amp

7. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Colestrat

I think it may be easier to get a nice handwired Vintage-Sound or Allen amp clone of that old Fender.

Not saying the Fender reissues are bad..Just their hard to modify on the inside .

Stratoskater likes this.
  8. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

Thanks I’ll check out Allen amps :)

9. MartinC

MartinC Strat-Talker

Agree with that. OP - you might be overthinking - or maybe 'over-reading' on this. All the talk of "dark" tone. Never heard one of those in my life. Heard amps sound different as you change the tone controls yes. The amps you are considering are (a) great and (b) depending on equalisation settings sound very similar. There would be more change from swapping out a speaker say than between the tonal properties of the amps themselves. Just get one and play!

Chmason85, Antstrat and Colestrat like this.
  10. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I want an amp that has 6L6s breaks up around 5 and has 2 speakers.

11. Antstrat

Have you played through an origional blackface? If so what does it do for you? I'm merely curious, whatever you get must make you happy :)

12. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

I have I played a 66 TR and a R5 Dr the Dr sounded great and the TR did too but that’s down the road and I’m looking for a lot of clarity and articulation :)

13. Antstrat

Got it, thanks for the reply :)

14. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

Also with 6L6 tubes so either a pro or a vibrolux I wish fender made a 65 reissue I’d buy both in a heartbeat.

Antstrat likes this.
  15. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

What are your uses for the amp? Home playing or gigging?
    Only cause I owned a 65-66 pro reverb way back. It was great but really a loud amp. Vibrolux is similar but with smaller dual 10" speakers a little less loud. But probably close. Both would work well if using OD pedals for your dirty sounds. I wish I had kept mine!

16. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I’ve never owned a 6l6 that broke up at 5. Even ones that would break up at 6 or so were incredibly loud since they are usually 30+ watts. If you are playing at home only get a Princeton, if you gig get a deluxe if you want overdrive at bar gig volume. Anything bigger will be super loud when it finally breaks up. My favorite 6l6 amp ever is my Carr Rambler.

Chmason85 likes this.
  17. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

Stop reading things on the internet and just buy an amp, you’ll get any sound you want

rolandson, Colestrat and Antstrat like this.
  18. Antstrat

Carr Rambler, my dream amp someday! One of the last mom n pop shops in my area carries them and every so often I drop in just to play one.

Stratoskater likes this.
  19. Colestrat

Colestrat Strat-Talker

After I graduate I’m gonna gig, I play cleans 99% of the time and I’m looking for a good bit of headroom and brightness. And I prefer 10 inch speakers but 12 sound good as well :)

20. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

The pro will deliver a fall off of about 5db around 900hz over the vibro...which will actually create the impression of a boost of almost 10db from ~850hz ascending through ~1.5khz.

Buy both.