68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb Amplifier (anybody have one yet?)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mike Manhost67, Apr 18, 2021.

1. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

IMO the reverb shouldn't hum when you turn it up. That needs to be repaired, or replaced if there's still time to do that.

There's new-owner chatter on other forums, mostly centered around idle hum noticed by folks who have never had a single-ended amp, before. They aren't dead quiet at idle. The only gut shot I've seen showed heater wires that weren't twisted together and weren't long enough to disconnect, twist, and reconnect. So far, no one with an opinion has wanted to void the warranty by rewiring.

93-Strat and Mike Manhost67 like this.
  2. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

Thanks, I'm re-ordering it again, hoping it was just an issue with the one I bought and send back.

I have heard from people on other forms that there is a hissing that occurs as you turn the Reverb up, but I'm giving it another try because I loved the sound of the amp so much.

archetype likes this.
  3. Mike Manhost67

Tech question here.

The second input on the VC is -6DB. How much lower volume is that.

Is it half, 1/4, or a 1/3 lower? Just trying to put this in language I can understand.

4. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

It is half the gain of input #1.

Mike Manhost67 likes this.
  5. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I was so excited to see that they were doing a Vibro Champ reissue, expecially in silverface cosmetics and then I saw the Reverb... Total let down to me. No rectifier tube either, which they may have needed to do away with that for the reverb by replacing the 5v winding with another winding since the reverb is dsp.

Also 10" speaker, another thing that is different. They may as well have taken the Princeton Reverb, changed the ot to single ended, gave it one power tube instead of 2 and changed the circuitry to accomodate that.

To me part of the Champ/ Vibro Champ appeal is simplicity and it would have been nice to have the original circuit to this is all, not one that has been hacked up to be something else. I have been hoping for an actual reissue for years. Maybe one day.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Stratoskater likes this.
  6. Mike Manhost67

I never played the older champ, so have nothing to compare it to, but sound wise, I'm loving this amp.

Have you played one, or is your disappointment based just on the specs?

7. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I;
    I'm sure it sounds great and would like to try one, just disappointed in the extra features and differences is all. I wouldn't care so much if I hadn't been wanting a spot on reissue of the original already. I wrote Fender a few years ago asking for them to do one like the '68 series with pcb and all that just to keep cost down. I know that despite all that, it has the best amp tremolo unit ever devised. The 2 triode version is a lot better than the single triode version the Princeton has mainly because you don't have the noise and the cathode follower just does something to make it all sweeter with better intensity.

8. Mike Manhost67

Sorry for this stupid question.

I returned my first VC because there was a problem with hissing when I turned up the reverb. The second VC came and doesn't have that issue.

I've had it for about 3 weeks now, and am noticing for the first time a low humming. I know one tube amps have this problem, but this is the first time I'm noticing it, and I don't think it happened before.

It stops if I pull out the speaker, is this normal? Thanks for any insight.

9. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This tune features my Silverface Vibrochamp on both left and right guitar tracks. Recorded with a SM57, I think? You can really hear the sound of that amp on this.

albala and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

You never run a tube amp without the speaker plugged in, you run the risk of cooking the transformer. I returned two of the Custom Deluxe amps because of the idle hum and hiss. They reduced the negative feedback on this series of amps to make them overdrive sooner and this causes more noise. I tried one of these and compared to the 74 vibro champ I owned it did not sound as good and had more noise. I too was very disappointed they added Reverb to this awesome circuit plus made it digital to boot. It is odd your amp would develop this noise now, the two I owned had it from day one.

bsman and Mike Manhost67 like this.
  11. Mike Manhost67

Thanks for the reply. I only pulled the speaker plug out for a second, because I thought maybe the noise was coming from the wire, and I was testing it.

Its that kind of thing where you go, "Has that hum been there since day one, I don't remember ever hearing it"
    Then I'm trying to figure if I had the fan on before, and did that mask it. Its one of those things that drive you a little batty.

I love the amp, and the sound, even with the digital reverb, going to have to spend some time figuring this out.

Stratoskater likes this.
  12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I hope you get it worked out man. I believe Fender had an issue with hum on the first batch of the 68 Custom amps and something with the bassbreaker series too. Sometimes the first run of a new amp takes a bit to iron out all the bugs.

13. Mike Manhost67

14. Mike Manhost67

15. Mike Manhost67