7.25 radius

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Adf91081, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Adf91081

Adf91081 Strat-Talk Member

Got my guitar coming back from the workshop in a couple days - my first ever 7.25 radius, played well in the shop, fell in love etc, but could be better, so the complementary work being done etc. I like a medium action I guess you’d call it, anything around 1.5mm or a tad higher is the best for me, 1.75 on the low E (but on my Les Paul - diff radius). I told the guy this when he asked how I liked my guitars set up. He said he would look to set it up at 1.5mm. Anyhow, seeing as I’m a newbie to this radius... what should I expect from such a radius, would a 1.5mm action on the high E and 1.75mm on the low E at the 12th (I think that’s just under 4/64ths and just over 4/64ths) give me, say nice whole step bends without choking, and half decent clean notes. Or is this very low for a 7.25? I’m not a big bender but do like to squeeze it up between the 7th and 15th quite a lot. What’s your experiences?? Thanks all!

Slartybartfast and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

7.25 is great, nothing to report. Can bend and play just as easily as any other. Some (myself included) prefer it

LOSTVENTURE, Nate D, sgarnett and 8 others like this.
  3. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

My Tele is 7.25.. love it ! I have had Strats with 7.25 also, Right now my Strat is 9.5...

3bolt79 and Jason D like this.
  4. Adf91081

Sorry, maybe I didn’t actually say what I meant... so at those heights a decent 7.25 radius should play fine? If for example it comes back at say 1.75mm across the board and still chokes out, but the guy says thats the radius not the set up... should I be saying that 7.25s should be able to play ok at those actions heights? Les Pauls... I know optimums and what an average set up and action should achieve but this is new territory. Cheers

5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I sure hope I can eventually try a 7.25 radius someday. With guitar stores closed, and unknowns on radii on wall guitars, don't know how hard that's going to be to try. All I know is that Ive always had 12" radii and buying my first guitar with a 9.25 I'm in love with lesser radii. I wonder now if I would like an even lower radius, can't wait to eventually find out. My new guitars are all now NOT 12" radii, and really liking it better. yeah one can adjust but if you really like something else, why tolerate it?

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I think that should be about where you need to be per the conversion I'm seeing of 6/64

4/64 is gonna be pushing it I think

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Paperback Rocker

I'd let the tech know you want it as low as possible without choking out on a 1 1/2 step bend and let him do the rest

8. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

This

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Adf91081

Thanks all. Bit of a strange situation, both I and the tech know the neck itself isn’t great, it’s not twisted, just not consistent, but somehow it was playing good with an action not far over 3/64ths. It was just choking up past the 14th on bends, and the D and G saddles were maxed out. Bemusing how it was playing so well. It just needs higher action but he’s going to work on the frets to get them consistent and level up the neck. I’m sure he’ll get it as low as it can go without choking, but I just wondered what is the rough norm for that radius. Basically as I don’t know about this radius I don’t want to be fobbed off and told that 5/64ths (2mm) is normal for a 7.25, when actually they should be able to be lower and actually it’s just a rubbish neck!

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Paperback Rocker

11. kdines

kdines Strat-Talker

I’m in a similar boat - my two guitars with 9.5 inch radius are my preferred ones. I definitely find it a little easier to do clean barre chords with them compared to my 12 inch radius guitars. I’ve never tried a 7.25 inch radius neck but am very keen to do so one day.

3bolt79 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  12. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Fret levelling should have a fall-off above the 12th Fret.

I agree with Matt that it needs a shim.

The other thing is following the radius. I do not do that for the B and high E. They match the height of the G. You can bend all day if you do this.

Also...measuring is for getting in the ballpark. The rest is by feel. If it feels good and sounds good...it is good.

13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I set my action at 5/64 straight across at the 17th freton my 7.25 radius guitars. It’s a good compromise between low enough action and being able to bend a maj 2nd or minor 3rd, and not fretting out.

Chicago Matt and Jason D like this.
  14. jayaitch

jayaitch Strat-Talker

I’ll second what fezz says about the B and E strings. That is something I do as well, and is a solid work around for string bending on that old school radius.

15. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

All of these measurements and technicalities are all very well but a good tech will adjust any particular guitar to its optimum, the measurements may not be exactly the same as it says in a book.

16. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

I agree, 4/64 is a bit too low for a 7.25.
    It's not a bad thing, it's very comfortable for chording anywhere on the neck. If you put the action to what I would call as "medium" you shouldn't have a problem with buzz.

There is a bit to do with your style of playing as well. Anyway, have fun!

17. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

I don’t know the measures, but the guitar is set up just the way I like it. My first 7.25 radius guitar, love the neck. Not the biggest lead player, so nothing above a whole step anyway.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Decades ago a tech set my old Strat an he told me that many players had the frets profiled so that the frets themselves were flattened to say a 10 inch radius so that choking out on bends was eliminated. So he did that on that Strat for me and it was a big improvement. Since that I’ve done this a few times and it works great. You get the feel of vintage but the advantage of flatter frets.

Tomee, diogoguitar and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

The measurements don't matter. The guitar will play best when it's set up to play best for you. My 7¼" neck guitars aren't set up much differently from my 9½". They all feel pretty much the same to play.

20. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

I have my 7.25" radius Fenders set up as 5/64ths on the low E and a hair over 4/64ths on the high E (basically just so high as to see the line on the ruler under the string). Works for me. Anything lower than that on the high E and not only does it choke but it is difficult to bend. Of course your frets need to be level.

3bolt79 likes this.