7 way pup switching

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by chrose1201, Jan 10, 2020.

1. chrose1201

chrose1201 Strat-Talk Member

Happy new year! I wasn't sure if I should put this in the pickup forum or here. On my new build I am planning on having a volume with a treble bleed mod on it and one master tone pot to cover all 3 pups. I also am going to put a greasebucket mod on the tone pot. That left me the space where the 3rd pot would be. I don't want a custom 2 pot pickguard so I was going to put in a dummy pot that did nothing, but saved a spot and left a knob there. My tech suggested putting in a push/pull to control the bridge pup thereby making it a 7 way switching set up. Videos showed it to sound pretty interesting having the bridge and neck pup as the 6th tone and all 3 pups going at once as the 7th tone. Looked pretty interesting. Has anyone done this and if so did/do you like it? Is there much call for those tones?
    Thanks

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Well bridge + neck will have a Tele-esque quality and Gilmour famously used a neck-on switch on his black Strat so it certainly isn’t gonna limit your options...
    ;)

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  3. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-O-Master

A straight forward and simple mod and easily reversible if you don't like it. Some interesting tones to be had with it.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  4. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

I want to do this to my American Standard. I have this option on my G&L S500 and use it constantly. The amount of different tones are unlimited. Can’t see any down side to it, it’s my all time favorite setup.

5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

Use the third hole to do a Dan Armstrong blender mod.

jvin248 and ChrisD like this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I generally like having 7-way pickup switching, and I like the tones. Ever since I first tried it, it didn't really make sense to me the standard Strat only had 5 pickup settings when you could potentially get 7 from 3 pickups. I think the bridge & neck pickups together have a fairly strong sound, and all 3 pickups together have a more chimey/"sparkly" sound to me.

7. chrose1201

That's the video I watched. I myself will not be doing the work. I want it to ACTUALLY work! :D

8. chrose1201

Alrighty, I guess I'll do it!

9. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I have all my Strats wired for master volume, master tone and the extra pot used as a blender following fezz's diagram that I found on the site. Its great and allows you to dial in different amounts of each pickup. Some very useful sounds to be had from this setup :thumb:

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  10. chrose1201

Thanks for that, that was also a pretty cool mod. I watched some videos on it. It's pretty cool but I'm not so sure it's what I want. I think I'll stick with the Gilmour mod.

ChrisD likes this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

This is neck and bridge:

This is all three:

ChrisD and EC Strat-boy like this.
  12. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

Sooo glad I did a 7 way mod. Neck and bridge and all 3 are such good tones on. Strat. Great with most genres Really like the neck and bridge for blues

Love having a master tone control and instead of a blender, I prefer a mid boost with the last control. The extra gain you can dial up is awesome. Perfect for classic rock and leads.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I did the 7 way mod, sometimes called the Gilmour mod, but once I found the Armstrong Blender mod I stopped all that other stuff.

ABM: Second tone pot blends between stock SSS and HSH. You can sweep through PAF into hot super strat humbucker output.

The other mod you can try ... physically (or solder wires at the switch) swap the neck and middle pickup in the pickguard. You trade the #4 Quack for the neck+bridge option. It's a no solder mod that is easy to reverse at the next string change if you don't like it. View your 5-way as a 3-way Tele switch with an extra middle and middle+neck combo at the one end. Easy.

14. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

I have done it to any Strat i have had. I put a mini toggle in the one I have now.

The neck and bridge are a cool option, kinda gives you a Tele tone.

15. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Hey fezz, sound clips awesome per usual, just wonderin', is it Trout, or Walleye yur cookin' there ?

16. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of DILLIGAF Strat-Talk Supporter

Heh. No clue. Some photo from the internet.

17. chrose1201

Thanks, The few videos I was able to find mostly talked about "how" to make the mod. but no good (to me) videos on practical use and sound.

18. chrose1201

I liked what Jvin248 said about the ABM but for me, from everything I have seen and heard, I think the 7 way is my "ticket to ride".... The non visual sound clips really helped. 7 way it is for me! Thanks all!

fezz parka likes this.
  19. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Does anyone make a peddle that Does that rather than screw with the guitar?

20. chrose1201

I am not the electronics expert, but I would think considering this is accomplished through wiring, that any pedal would simply mimic the tone. Of course they do a pretty damn good job with electronics these days...

thomquietwolf likes this.