70s Pickup Stamps

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Strat_n00b, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Strat_n00b

Strat_n00b Strat-Talk Member

Hi everyone,
    I’ve come across some supposedly mid to late 70s pickups online, whose stamps seem off to me. According to the usual sites, like
    http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html#serial
    or
    https://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/
    the last two digits should tell you the year the pickups were made (or, if it’s a four-digit stamp, the last digit). However, some stamps seem to begin with the date stamp (I’ve pulled these two pics from eBay, but there are definitely more of these out there). Apart from the order of the stamps, these seem to be originals, and if they are, surely someone on here must have come across these stamps before. So, has anyone?
    Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Not sure, but here are a couple of genuine ones, maybe some comparison of bobbin material etc might help or the wire colour. In case it helps here is a pic.
    70s pupsflsh.JPG

3. Strat_n00b

Thanks for the pic @Kyri, helps a lot. Indeed, everything else (wire colour, bobbin colour & material, lead wires, pole pieces) looks exactly like yours - just the order of the date stamp is different.

4. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

These are images of my 1979 Anniversary Strat.

DSC_0283.jpg DSC_0285.jpg

5. Strat_n00b

Thanks, awesome! All of yours seem to follow a “xxxx79” pattern, so they confirm the ‘traditional’ template. Makes me wonder whether the ones with a “79xxxx” stamp are originals or fake (do people fake these things?). On a side note, great to see 70s Strats with their original pickups, seems like a lot of people switched theirs at some point.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

And here are mine. Well, one of them.

[​IMG]

7. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

The "96" is consistent with the earliest 'X1' bridge pickups frpm 1979.
    Measure resistance to be certain.

8. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Yes, you are right, slightly hotter pup (9600 windings?) measures around 7.5K. An excellent bridge pup, I have a JV strat with 3 of them in it. Most had yellow wire to differentiate but this particular one might be one of the early ones before they started using the yellow wire. The all have the "96" written on the bobbin and all the ones I have seen have the same writing.
    Cheers!

9. Strat_n00b

Thanks for all the info guys, didn’t know about the X1s, they sound great!

But there’s still no sign of anyone owning legitimate/verified 70s pickups with a serial number that starts with a year (e.g. 79xxxx), right?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  10. Strat_n00b

Update: I’ve been able to find a two good examples where these pickups come with a mint Strat.

1. Mike Mike’s Guitar Store in Seattle sold a 100% original ‘78 with (what looks like) both types of stamps:
    https://www.mmguitarbar.com/listing...sunburst-100-original-near-mint-wohc/13901322

Whereas the neck PU’s stamp is clearly a “xx1878”, the middle PU seems to read “78xx17”. It’s as if the “78” was a stamp that was applied independently of the other 4 digits (also both “78”s seem to be smudged the same way = Same stamp?).

2. Fretted Americana also sold a ‘78 Strat that was apparently “under the bed for 35 years” aka 100% original: https://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1978-fender-stratocaster

While they don’t provide pics, the description says: “Two of the pickups are stamped in black on the underside "170778" and the third one is stamped "780816".” So again, a late 70s Strat straight from the factory has both types of stamps.

Of course, this isn’t conclusive, but there seem to be a number of examples that are 100% genuine.

11. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

12. Strat_n00b

Thanks so much, yes, that was actually one of the pages I started out with. Have now been in touch with the site's manager to find a conclusive answer (our consensus, for now, is that these pickups seem genuine)!

13. 1965Fender

1965Fender Strat-Talk Member

View attachment 418408 View attachment 418407

From my late ‘74 hardtail, flat pole pickup Strat. Bridge pickup ends with 74, middle begins with 75, but last digit is unreadable. Unfortunately, I bought it in 1982 after previous owner had swapped neck pickup with a Dimarzio, painted body cavity with shielding paint and added Shaller “S” tuners.

Attached Files: