71/4-10 or 12 radius

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by greezy strings, Jul 21, 2020.

1. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

anyone know, heard or played a compound radius starting at 71/4 to 10 or even 12?

I've seen 71/4-9.5

I'm ordering a custom neck and I'm thinking of getting a 71/4-10 compound radius.

Your thoughts?

2. errikwong

errikwong Strat-O-Master

I've heard good things about the 7.25-9.5" compound radius. a 7.25-10" is not going to be too far off.

My main experience has been the Warmoth 10-16" radius boards, of which I now own 4 guitars that have it, and it's my comfort zone for sure.

In my mind, compound radius boards are awesome, regardless of the beginning or end radius. The main issue is how you set up your bridge saddles to compensate for the eventual flatter radius at the bridge. For instance, with the afore-mentioned 10-16" compound radius I have on my parts builds, the bridge radius ends up being incredibly flat. Some people like that, some people have no issues.

The other thing is pickup polepiece height, if that is even an issue that bothers you.

3. jdyanine

jdyanine Strat-Talk Member

I like my 10-16 warmoth neck, but I like more my 7.25 fender neck.

A compound radius neck starting at 7.25 sounds comfy to me, as long as the upper frets are leveled with a fallaway and maybe with those latest frets even flatter than the 9.5 from the fretboard (just a tiny bit flatter for ensuring low action and not fretting out).

I didn't have thought about this before, but the more curved the fretboard is, the more surface you have on the frets, and maybe that allows you to have enough room between strings in a narrow neck. Very appropriate for hybrid rhythm/lead guitar with the thumb fretting the low E alla Hendrix.

4. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

I am very biased toward 12“ necks. I custom ordered a Strat with a 12“ neck and medium jumbo frets. It is by fat my favorite playing neck. I would go 12“ radius, medium jumbo frets and fat c shape neck profile every time!

5. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Nut width and neck shape are more of a big deal to me than radius..
    I'd say depends what you play. You can play anything on either radius. I find 7.25" is better if you prefer a straight neck and low'ish action. Its perfect for chords and rythm.
    For big bends I can still do either (with some tweaks to the setup), but I always find it very easy to fart out in the middle of the neck on 7.25" with those dinky frets. Especially after you've put 50-100 hrs on them.

You will also find a 7.25" radius harder to sell on..

Get the 9" and medium jumbos. You might think a compound radius is a great idea and they are awesome, but like a high tuned sports car, when things start needing a service or parts need replacing, it can get frustrating to play on and expensive to work on.

greezy strings and tinkertoy like this.
  6. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

7. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

10"-16" compound is common so I don't see why you could not go 7.25 to 10" oe 12".
    I don't know why there would be an issue with it.

but no I have never played or even heard of one existing outside of custom requests.

pretty sure you would want to go to 12". 10" seems to be pretty a pretty subtle change.
    I love the straight 12" on my prodigy.

greezy strings likes this.
  8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

While I think a conic-section fretboard ("compound" ain't right) is ideal, the two I own are not comfortable for me. Both are in the 10-12 range.

I'm much happier with a 12" straight radius.

9. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

Compound radius is a no brainer for me.

It is most definitely a modern improvement that should be on all guitars.

I have 2 10-16 warmoth compounds. The rest are between 12 and 20". I dont really notice the difference to my other necks, which are all over the place spec wise.

If you actually draw all the different radii on paper with a protractor, you'd see that there is not much of a difference once you go past 10-12".
    14 to 20" over the width of a fretboard is the tiniest of fractions on an inch.

Feel and perception/personal bias are very reall though.

10. Olly White

Olly White Strat-Talker Silver Member

I just made a 7.25 - 9.5 radius tele neck and it's bloody lovely, fat, with heavy rolled edges....sigh....but then 12" always felt sterile to me anyway.

11. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

I have a Tele with Warmoth 10-16" radius and I'd love another.

I Have 3 Strats with 12 radius and they are easier to play than my vintage strat with 7.25

12. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Fender's short-lived Vintage Hot Rod line had chunky necks with 7.25-12" compound radius boards and I LOVE them. For my hands, they're absolutely perfect. Between stock guitars and partscasters I put together, I've got five of those necks. The vintage-style curve at the nut is great for open chords down there, and the flatness up top is better for soloing and allows easier set up of low action than a full 7.25" fret board.

13. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

Thanks everyone for the replies..

I ordered a roasted maple on maple... medium C .830-920
    7.25-12 compound radius with SS vintage frets , truss adjustment at the headstock, abalone fret markers and white side dots. I like all kind of necks so far but my least favorite is a older Warmoth standard thin 10-16 compound radius.. it's not bad at all but I like a little fuller profile even with my small hands.. I grew up on 79 strat and always liked that feel.. also line my 91 sg and especially like my 2 Ebmm axis necks. I like the small frets and feeling the fret board .. I press a little hard.. I wouldn't have gone vintage frets though if it weren't for the Stanless steel option.

14. raf66

raf66 Strat-Talker

My Lincoln Brewster Signature Strat has a soft "V" shaped neck with a 9.5"-14" compound radius and I really dig it.

15. nathdaniel

nathdaniel Strat-Talk Member

I had 9.5-12 on my MJT Tele. It was fantastic, but definitely not something you'd think about WHILE playing. I'd like to try the 7¼-9½, but I'm afraid it wouldn't taper out enough in my main range of play.

16. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Where are you getting it from and at roughly what cost? I haven't looked in a while, but 7.25-12 wasn't an option on the most popular sites last time I looked. I'm thinking I'd really like the neck you're describing! I'd just go with the... what are they... narrow tall vintage frets? 6105 I think. I'm pretty set with all my Fenders, but have a Variax with a Fender style heel that I think about getting a new neck for now and then.

17. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I’ve played a Warmoth 10”-16” compound radius for 20 years and this is not true. A compound radius neck is not any more expensive to work on, is certainly not frustrating to play, and is in fact ideal for running a flat neck and low action.