Join Strat-Talk Today

73-74 Strat for parts? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by wetini, Jun 18, 2016.

1. wetini

wetini New Member!

Hi there.

I have a 73 -74 US neck bolted onto an newer body.
    I'm not sure where the body came from (or how I can ID the body?)

I still play this guitar but am looking to replace it for something like a Gretch or Ibanez semi hollow body. I was trying to price the guitar and the guy at the shop suggested the original neck would be worth more than the guitar as a complete package. Is this true? If so where do I sell a fender neck? On here, or Ebay?

Thanks. IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0376.JPG

Yogi likes this.
  2. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Hello,

I wouldn't separate the parts until you can confirm what you actually have...These are your options for the moment...

1. Dis-assemble the entire guitar, & photograph each part(s) for posting back on here, where some informed members might be able to say what you may have in your hands. Good clean photos that reveal numbers or codes is best.

2. Grab yourself a Stratocaster book from a bookshop, & go through it all yourself, & at least this way, you'll have the back-up of a book to confirm bits & pieces, not general thoughts from the WWW ( no dis-respect to anyone here on ST, but we "are" strangers after-all ).

IMO, should you find the guitar is actually original, I'd hang onto it, as it will likely go further-up in value once it turns 50, though don't expect huge $$$ either, as sadly, this era guitar is not as sought-after as earlier guitars from the 50's & 60's. I'd enjoy just having a classic well-worn-in Stratocaster like that to play.

"One man gathers what another man spills"....

Ciao,

Rastus

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Take it apart and post pics here at Strat Talk.....If the neck has not been modified then it can fetch some decent do re me.......

If the body is a CBS three bolt with factory finish that is a good thing to....I recently sold a 75/76 body for 500 Canadian dollars.......

4. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

the tuners have been changed on that neck

5. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes i see that also but with any luck the holes are not bore out bigger.....

Yogi likes this.
  6. wetini

wetini New Member!

Hey thanks for your replies.

Yeah the tuners have been changed at some stage.
    The body has a four bolt pattern that you can vaguely see under the paint. That's what originally made me guess it was not genuine. Unfortunately it was sold to me as a genuine US strat. However, that was 17 years ago and I've had years of use out of it.

Next question... Is it safe for me to dismantle it? or should it take it to a luthier?

I am still playing this guitar and don't want to do anything in the process that may hinder its current level of performance.

Thanks again for your replies.

7. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

There might be date stamps on the pickups. There might be dated codes on the pots. So you need to take off the strings and unscrew the pickguard to check these. You should not need a luthier to do this.

Take a picture of the tremolo block as well. A 73 block would be zinc.

With the pickguard off, you can also check the pickup routs and channels. The way these are done can often help to identify the body.

Taking the neck off would reveal the neck pocket and the date stamp on the neck. It's not a big deal to unscrew the three neck bolts. You need proper tools, like a larger, more heavy duty screwdriver to do this.

Can you mess up the guitar doing this? I guess if you're not careful, you could strip the threads in the wood or screw the neck bolts in too tight. It depends on how confident you are with tools in your hands.

If you want to sell the guitar for more than the value of the neck, you are really going to need to determine what is what on the guitar.

8. Tomee

Tomee Strat-Talk Member

If you're lucky the body is genuine Fender, and older than the neck. Best of luck!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.