78 Strat neck pocket larger

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TaylanDedeoglu, Feb 13, 2020.

1. TaylanDedeoglu

TaylanDedeoglu New Member!

Hello All,

Greetings from İstanbul, Turkey...

I just borrowed this 1978 natural blonde from a friend who is intended to sell it. I loved the axe, the feel the color, the sustain, the tone etc. The neck and the fingerboard requires refinishing and fret work but I really want to inquire one thing.

As you will see in the pictures attached the neck pocket is slightly larger than the neck. The date stamps on the neck and the middle pickup cavity completely match. Someone told me that some 78s were build that way but it doesn't sound very logical.

I was just wondering if this is a defect (most likely) if any of you meet such a thing before and if it is curable, although has no impact on playing or tone...I'm not sure how this would impact the value as a vintage instrument.

Thanks for the replies...

Attached Files:

crashbelt, 3bolt79 and Cerb like this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

It's pretty well known that Fender was going through quality issues at that time so anything is possible. At some point in the mid-late 1970s Fender changed the way they paid their wood shop employees from hourly wages to piece-work (paying them based on the number of bodies or necks they produced each day) so tolerances did slip compared to earlier years as the focus was on quantity produced. Fender of course eventually went back to hourly wages for the wood shop, and of say 1982 they were actively focused on improving quality.

That being said this looks like a really egregious example of how things could be on late 1970s Fenders.

crashbelt, 3bolt79 and TaylanDedeoglu like this.
  3. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

Wow, I've never seen anything that bad on any Strat, ever. But personally, it wouldn't bother me if the guitar played and sounded right. I'd rock that. The frets look hella worn. Someone must have liked it.

4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Here's mine, a 1977. Best guitar I've ever played.

[​IMG]

5. Cerb

Now that I look at yours... It doesn't have the original pickups and pickguard. Can you upload more photos of everything? Headstock, back of pick guard, neck heel etc.?

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. TaylanDedeoglu

How can you tell that pick guard is not original? There is no marks or stamp or date on the neck heel... I attached the headstock picture. There is Texas Specials set on the guitar but I have the original pickups as well except the bridge pick up.

Attached Files:

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

The original pick guard should have been black on a clear finish.

8. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

Is that neck a little off center? - Maybe center it up and tighten the screws . Back in the 70's I had one that I used to beat to crap on stage, after a while I noticed it was prone to move a little in the pocket.....some moron stole it and I hope he got what he deserved.

3bolt79 and Stratwrangler like this.
  9. TaylanDedeoglu

I tried my friend but didn't help. And I absolutely agree, I hope he got what he deserved!

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

@Cerb is that something to do with the 3 bolt and micro tilt that wont allow the neck to be re aligned at all that would drive my ocd crazy.

Cerb and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No, my 79 isn’t like that. But some of the neck pockets were just a little too big compared to the size of the neck. I’d still rock that, at the right price. I wonder what the OP can buy it for?

Stratwrangler, Cerb and Stratoskater like this.
  12. Cerb

I think it usually had to do with the micro tilt. On some of them the plate didn't line up with the bolt which caused poor stability if the MT was in use. Most people solved it by shimming the neck instead. I use the MT on mine and have no issues.

Stratwrangler and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Stratwrangler

Thought as much, do a Blackmore to it and convert it to a 4 bolt maybe.

14. Stratwrangler

Not sure got to be in the sub 900 region though I would have thought ? What you reckon .

3bolt79 and Cerb like this.
  15. Cerb

I think the 3 bolts are stable in themselves so no reason to convert really. I had a MIJ ST-72 with 3 bolts and micro tilt, that one was also completely stable. It depends on who you ask though, some will say the 70's strats were useless and heavy with unstable necks and that goes for most of them with the odd exception. I like to think that I have a more nuanced view :whistling:

Funny you should mention Blackmore, there is a scalloped neck for sale here... I've been eyeing it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Cerb

I paid 850 for mine, for reference ;)

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Stratwrangler

Yeah I know I joke about them and there silly headstocks but they are cool really. I just meant maybe that one to get the neck more in line generally, to my eyes it all looks out of line slightly . Ive even heard of people using epoxy resin on 3 bolts to set the neck back in the day.

What type rosewood or maple ? , I did some session work years ago and the studio had a rosewood scalloped board strat I loved it and my rg570 I scalloped the last 8 frets my self , could be a fun build for ya.

18. Cerb

Maple :) it could definitely be fun! That neck and a proper Floyd Rose :cool:

Stratwrangler likes this.
  19. Stratwrangler

Yeah man and a set of quarter pounders or jb in the bridge an a lil 59 in the neck .
    I have always thought stainless frets would be a Good idea with a scalloped cos re fretting gonna be fun otherwise .

20. Cerb

I was thinking maybe... A DiMarzio Chopper in the neck. Or perhaps a set of Lace Sensors all around... So much to choose from!

3bolt79 likes this.