Join Strat-Talk Today

78 Strat neck pocket larger

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TaylanDedeoglu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:47 AM.

1. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

@Cerb its actually a build ive got planned out for the future inspired in part by the kotzen teles

Mint green tele body contoured like a strat no scratch plate .
    reverse tele head stock dark rosewood scalloped neck with ss 6100 frets
    chopper t in the bridge
    lil 59 in the neck
    original Floyd bridge like on the Guthrie Govan sig
    locking tuners
    satin hardware

One day it will get built .

Cerb likes this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice!

Contoured body and series parallell switching?

The neck is the big deal onbthe Kotzen guitars IMO. Fat and silky smooth, I don't know what they used to finish them but it's great.

There are two decently priced Kotzen strats on Reverb but I told myself not to...

Stratwrangler likes this.
  3. Stratwrangler

Yes contoured like a 60s strat and series /parrallell , I would probably finish it like I have my tele , oiled and then many coats of wax with rolled edges etc , ive been looking and when I played an evh wolfgang I loved the neck its a fairly fat asymmetrical type so possibly one of those shapes from warmouth but tele shaped and rosewood scalloped with big frets should make it crazy for bends and as I get older anything that helps is a plus lol.

And dont ask me to talk you out of it , got to replace the tele with something :)

Cerb likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I think that somewhere in the $800 area, seeing how he still has two of the original pickups, maybe 700 as it’s going to need a refret as one poster pointed out. As others have mentioned, the necks are usually shimmed , but if you look at the position of the low E string to the edge of the fretboard shimming May not be possible. I’d buy it for sure in the $700 range. Would look better with black plastics to me though. I’m just spoiled with my 79 as it’s in near mint condition, with the exception of some cracking in the nitro on the face of the headstock which occurred after I bought it.

Cerb and Stratwrangler like this.
  5. Stratwrangler

If it were me id be tempted to to strip it re align the neck and trim the body and then spray it Black and turn it into a hendrix esq strat using those plastics etc .

Cerb and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. agy040

agy040 New Member!

Like several of those late 70ies, mine included, it has to be off- centered (the neck), because of the playability of th high e- string. With the neck centered there is only such a small amount of place, you cannot sweep arpeggios for example...I often change the tremolos to a 54mm type to fithat problem.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, I would strip it, trim the neck pocket overhang, and do it again in natural, but with black plastics. I think we are both on the same track. Or paint it white with black plastics, and restore the neck as well. I would paint it myself as I have access to air sprayer equipment. Great minds think alike.:D

Stratwrangler and Cerb like this.
  8. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

It was a mid 70's -- I never owned anything newer until '96. I got it in a trade - wasn't until later (my own fault) that I noticed the back of the neck had a huge burn from a soldering iron where the previous owner installed aftermarket pickups in middle and bridge.....and layed it down on a hot iron......so I had no love for it from the beginning.

Cerb likes this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd really like something with a Floyd but the sad fact is that I can buy something cheaper than I could build it. I can get a MIJ Ibanez RG470 for around 300 and that wouldn't even cover a locking system tremolo...

10. Stratwrangler

Yeah you are exactly right some ridiculously cheap Ibanez s out there at the moment even the jem junior can be had for £300 on a Good day. That build has been on my hit list for a couple of years now and will be like a lifetime guitar sort of thing if I get round to it .

Cerb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.