$800 Budget/Range.Question About Mid-Priced -Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by stevierayfan91, Oct 15, 2021.

Which

Poll closed Oct 24, 2021.
  1. Taylor 114e-

16.7%
  2. Taylor GS-Mini - rosewood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Used Larrivee if find one

16.7%
  4. Another option-Maybe Yamaha L-series

66.7%
  1. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed.

2. StratoMutt

Another thought: acoustics are deceptively addictive. There is something about just pulling one out of its case, tune up and have at it.

Simplicity. Organic. You feel the soundwaves, not just hear them. Great for power outages.

They help with technique as you have to work a little harder than an electric to get all of the notes to ring true. Quite rewarding.

I see many of the gits shown here have a bag instead of a case. Get a quality 3-ply case as it shields the guitar from rapid changes in temperature and humidity. You will need to pay attention to that far more than an electric.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Stratoskater and stevierayfan91 like this.
  3. StratoMutt

Be sure to try a left legged guitar "classical" position. I play all of my gits on the left leg when seated. Feels more natural.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I know the sales tax is a lot, but if possible, I’d get to a guitar center and try out a variety. You’ll know then!

I have bought acoustics sight unseen.. I would not do it again. You can go to a store and buy THE guitar that sounds best to you in your price range. Another sampling of the same model won’t be exactly the same.

The highest level guitars there may not be be the ones that really speak to you. I REALLY wanted a Gibson Hummingbird, until I played a few. The price was astronomical and it sounded worse to me, than the Yamaha I ended up with. I think I like brighter sounding acoustics.

a lady I played at church with was selling her high level Taylor for a lot of money. The guitar sucked, to me. Fancy inlays, etc. but I just didn’t like it.

try out about 20 acoustics, and you’ll have a good idea.

Textele and cranky like this.
  5. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

hi , @nickmsmith Buddy

I am going to try seeing if Guitar Center will let me pay cash after try some acoustics
    I don’t have a credit card due to some medical stuff.

StratoMutt, 3bolt79 and nickmsmith like this.
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Oh yeah, they’ll take cash. Look out for some coupons. They routinely have 15 percent off coupons via mail and email.

stevierayfan91 and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. StratoMutt

Haggle. Always haggle. Ask for a hardshell case as part of the deal.

nickmsmith likes this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GY93NAT--takamine-gy93-natural

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  9. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

That's a good plan. Good luck, try to be patient.

stevierayfan91 and nickmsmith like this.
  10. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

Check out the
    Yamaha FG-TA TransAcoustic Dreadnought

nickmsmith and cranky like this.
  11. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Second hand Yamaha or K Yari of some sort that looks like it been well played and you really can’t go wrong… Just play. A few till you find one you like. Some of the best sounding acoustics I have ever heard have been dirt cheap and it’s
    Not a brand/model thing either - some individual guitars are just just magical.. I find there is way more variability between acoustics than electrics…

Textele and nickmsmith like this.
  12. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

buy an acoustic the same way you would an electric guitar or an amplifier. play it and decide if it is for you regardless of the brand. do you enjoy playing it, does it sound good and can you afford it ?

i agree the seagull and breedlove acoustics are overall great playing and sounding for WAY less than a taylor or martin.

and used can be a BIG money saver, i love all my guitars equally but regret paying new prices for the few i bought new.

13. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

I thought I’d mention it to you, I’d hate to see you tie up $800 to $900 for an occasional instrument. I really feel you will get a very good acoustic for around $600 . Let us know which one you end up with. Good luck with your search.
    Also I mentioned Takamine, I’ve had one for over ten years, it’s a very good guitar.

14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I am really proud of all the Yamaha/other brand recommendations. Was really expecting a lot more Taylor/Martin or bust responses.

StratoMutt and Stratafied like this.
  15. stevierayfan91

Hi , @nickmsmith -Buddy and @Stratafied -Buddy

Mmhm, I usually try hard to be careful and pick option after feel the neck shape and in this case also hear it unplugged :)

I am kind of liking the Taylor GS-Mini from video demos but will wait till can see it in store.

I figured would have them show me some of it and some Takamine and such.

I did manage to save for my Gibson Les Paul but here don’t want to sink thousands on acoustic for occasional tunes?

Like 25% of playing time I would say for it.

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

You never know. At home, for fun, I play electric. But for every gig I play, it’s acoustic/electric.

stevierayfan91 likes this.
  17. stevierayfan91

ohh yeah, just I am too shy /stage fright for a gigging thing. @nickmsmith -Buddy

so figured would be cautious in budget for acoustic :) .

18. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

I see you added a poll. I currently own two of the guitars in the poll, a Yamaha LL16M and a Taylor GS-Mini. They are both guitars that I will never sell. The Yamaha wins hands down for tone although the GS-Mini is no slouch. The GS-Mini gets way more play than the Yamaha. It is just a fun guitar to play. The 23" scale makes it play more like an electric. It is my goto guitar for jams and open mic's. You can plug it in to whatever is available and it sounds great. You can play for hours without without getting tired. The Yamaha unplugged has a wonderful tone. The ebony fretboard feels great. It is also easy to play for an acoustic. It is a much bigger guitar than the GS-Mini so if I play standing up my picking arm gets tired after a set or so from reaching over the guitar. My only gripe with it is the pickup is a passive piezo with no preamp so you need an active DI to plug it in. With the right DI it is fantastic plugged in. Without a DI it is not so good plugged in. The GS-Mini is a solid top with laminate back and sides so I don't worry too much about humidity but I live of the west coast with not a lot of humidity changes. The Yamaha is all solid wood so I keep Humidipacks in the case with it. Strangely enough I use thicker strings on the GS-Mini. It came with 13's. I switched to 12's for a while but it lost some fullness in the tone and felt a little floppy because of the short scale so I switched back to 13's. The Yamaha came with 12's and they suit the guitar. It has a full rich sound. You wouldn't go wrong with either guitar.

nickmsmith likes this.
  19. stevierayfan91

Hi , @Kerry Brown -Buddy

if I don’t have much experience with acoustic, would a GS body style be a little less wide across depth of top? Maybe a little comfier for new to acoustic player?

20. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I played a Yamaha Storia the other day and thought it sounded really great.