Join Strat-Talk Today

80's MIJ strat identification?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Alldatjazz, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM.

Tags:
  1. Alldatjazz

Alldatjazz Strat-Talk Member

Hello all, I'm hoping to identify and find some information in order to recreate a friend's favorite guitar he unfortunately lost. He's been trying to find the same feel ever since.

I'm trying to find specifics of the neck in particular (radius/shape).

Here's what I know about the guitar:

Mid 80's MIJ (85 or 86?)
    Red Body w/ Rosewood fingerboard
    HSS configuration (may be aftermarket?)
    Coil switch/tap (aftermarket maybe?)

According to his family member and fellow player, it had a "flatter neck, almost like a mustang, but not short scale"

I'm trying to get some pics of the guitar, but it was pre-digital camera age haha.

Thanks for anyone that can help! You'll make a players year if we can figure this out!

2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

3. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There were a bunch of Contemporary models. Only the later ones (circa 88 through 90-ish) had the Kahler Spyder; older ones had trems with roller saddles, fine tuners, and a string lock behind the nut - depending on the year it could be a Fender-logo model called the System 1 (made for them by Schaller) or it could be Kahler bridge with roller saddles/fine tuners (that doesn't lock like a Floyd Rose type bridge)

4. Alldatjazz

So I talked to the original owner of the guitar and he believes that he was mistaken about the year. It might be a 89ish. He believes it's a 62 reissue 7.25 neck, and someone added a Floyd rose, etc.I pretty conflicted right now, because the Japanese contemporary that albala linked seemed pretty bang on.

I'm not a guitar player myself... (I play keys), so can anyone tell me if what he's saying makes sense? Because that's a fairly common neck from what I understand, where as the contemporary came with a 12" D which seems to fit the description better as far as the flat profile, and hard to find/replicate. I'd assume if it's the 7.25, he'd have come across that neck frequently?

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It sounds like an ST562. @Guitarmageddon can give you all the specs.

[​IMG]

Without pictures it's just about impossible to identify any guitar.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I can't say without seeing photos.....could be anything, might not even have been a Fender product.....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  7. Alldatjazz

Thanks all for your help. I know it's borderline impossible without pics. I'm sorry about that. The st562 doesn't seem to have alot of info on them... It's a 7.25 62 reissue neck? I've seen conflicting stuff when googling... Some say 12" D? Is there any unique/identifiable options on it to narrow it down?

8. Guitarmageddon

No the ST-562 or ST-557's aren't reissue necks - they don't have the 50s Fender spaghetti logo. They have 22 frets, all other Fender Japan strats have 21.....they have the 60s transitional logo, and a locking mechanism behind the nut. They also have smaller fret dot markers on the fretboard.....medium C type neck with 12" fretboard radius

Thrup'ny Bit and Alldatjazz like this.
  9. Alldatjazz

Thanks for the radius etc, @Guitarmageddon. None of the MIJ's came with a 7.25, right? All of the contemporaries have medium 12" C or D necks, correct?

So it's pretty safe to say that the previous owner (who gifted the guitar to my friend that lost it) is incorrect when he suggested a 62 RI 7.25?

10. Guitarmageddon

Almost ALL of the MIJ's came with 7.25" radius and small vintage frets - the contemporary ST-562 are the rare exception....

It can be one of 2 things - something with a faster shredder type neck with larger frets 12" radius and 60s logo making it NOT a reissue...

Or it WAS a reissue.....ST-62....or it was a Standard.....ST-362

You mention in the first post 'Flatter neck' - to me and everyone here that means fretboard radius....

So now we're all more confused than ever, and have no pics....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Alldatjazz

@Guitarmageddon yeah I'm confused as well. Sorry. I was told it has a flatter neck by the owner which I'd assume is large radius. Then he sent me a link to a 7.25 saying he's pretty sure that's the neck.... Yet according to the wiki that albala sent, it says 12" D. I sent him the picture Thrup'ny posted and he said the locking nut is in the wrong place... His nut was where the original nut was.

12. Guitarmageddon

I am having a VERY hard time following.....

You're saying 'yet according to the wiki that albala sent' - but you're talking about two different necks - one the seller claims is 7.25 which you should link us to or show us the photo of....and then there's the contemporary....but they have two VERY different headstock logos...and two VERY different types of tuners...

[​IMG]

Photo above is an ST-62 'reissue' neck with 7.25" radius and split shaft vintage tuners, below is the logo and tuners used on Standard MIJ and Contermpoary MIJ Strats...ST-362 and ST-562....

[​IMG]

It should be obvious to the owner which type he had.....notice the totally different logo style, serial placement (a reissue would not have had the serial on the front of headstock), and tuner type....

There isn't one Strat from the 80s from Fender Japan that I know of that had an actual locking nut, those came later with Korean production and later early 90s Fender Japan stuff....

So if he's saying it was mid 80s and had a locking nut stock, it doesn't exist.....unless it was a different brand than Fender....

Did he buy it new??

13. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If you think it is a neck with a 12" radius and a D profile then just take your friend to the nearest music store and have him play every Ibanez on the wall.

Thrup'ny Bit and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

16. Guitarmageddon

Well it's the ONLY Fender Japan 80s HSS model with both coil split and with a locker AT the nut not behind it...and he says the original owner says that it wasn't behind the nut....

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Well it must have been that one then, or something else entirely with a Fender decal. That wasn't unusual, over here anyway, even back in the 1980s. :)

18. misterwogan

misterwogan Strat-O-Master

How has the deluge affected you? You got ark, and stuff like that?

19. Alldatjazz

So, here's the neck he thinks it is... Except it had a skunk stripe. He said there was a locking nut where the original nut typically is on his model.

https://reverb.com/au/item/2068784-fender-stratocaster-mij-62-reissue-neck-japan-strat

I'm sorry about the confusion... I sent him the 2nd pic you posted @Guitarmageddon and he said no. He's pretty adamant its closer to the neck I linked.

This is all rather difficult because he owned the guitar in question over a decade ago, pre cell phone camera age etc. The only pics (if there are any) are in old film albums buried somewhere. I really do appreciate your guys patience.

This whole thing is kinda drudging up old memories etc, and now he's kinda convinced the humbucker was aftermarket.

He bought it used in '91 and it was forsure a fender MIJ

And just to clear confusion, the only reason I mentioned the 12" neck is because the wiki for fender contemporaries says they're 12", which is apparently not correct. It led to confliction. Sorry about that.

I'm currently asking him about lever lockers, rolling saddles. Realistically I don't know if we'll be able to find out the exact model, but I just really want to at least get my friend the correct neck/feel that he's been missing. Which seems weird that he hasn't come across another 7.25 neck in his 20+yrs of playing. That's why I thought it might be some abstract shape/radius.

I hope this clears some confusion.

20. Guitarmageddon

Okay, it was either

1 - heavily modified by a previous owner and was an ST-62....which is not a Contemporary...
    2 - made by someone else and had a fake Fender logo on it

So if he bought it used/modded (Fender ST-62 'reissue') it would have been 7.25" with small vintage frets and a C shape profile....

The Fender contemporaries ARE 12" - I don't know how many times I have to say that lol

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.