80s MIJ Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Frankie786, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

THIS is incorrect.....

I have seen with my own eyes, ST-57-55's etc or 60's.......FROM 1984/85 with A serial number prefixes......with basswood bodies and Japanese made flat pole ceramic pickups, not alnico. The catalogs aren't always correct, over the years I've seen many examples not even listed in the catalogs. The highest end models by early 1985 had plastic bobbin Japanese alnico V pickups, of which I OWNED an example.....an ST-57-115 from December 1985......

FrieAsABird likes this.
  2. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think probably both are correct I have seen sufficient eveidence of USA pickups for that era but as always with MIJ there isn't necessarily consistency especially when they are making models for export the catalogues will usually reflect the domestic market and anything can happen with the export models.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

How can the other person be correct when they claim all MIJ ST-57's and ST-62's circa 1984 ALL had USA pickups.....

You know as well as I do that it isn't true, we have seen examples otherwise....

4. balston11

Sorry my words didn't reflect what I meant I was trying to say that there are some with USA pickups but also some with Ceramics etc.

5. balston11

Just to clarify further my website contains a lot of info much of it drawn from visuals of guitars and much from Twangs etc. The Twangs will reflect reasonably what was produced for the domestic market but will have omissions, many models simply won't appear. Once you get to the export models the Twangs are not trying to even get close to what is produced once you see that EX on the neck all bets are off unless it is from the "Collectables" series documented in the western catalogues.

6. Frankie786

Frankie786 New Member!

Yeah I am not sure what to do with it yet :rolleyes:
    Right now, I’m just enjoying it and also laughing at my own luck of grabbing this awesome guitar for free…
    If I keep it, I’ll probably swap the pickups at some point though. This Lambertone strat set looks gorgeous!
    But selling it is also tempting, I’ve seen the prices they go for on Reverb and it’s insane (over €1,000)!:eek:
    I’m in Europe and here vintage instruments sell for way more than in the US, and I could probably swap it for a modern US made Fender?
    Anyway, keep the good info/tips coming, very much appreciated :thumb:

7. Guitarmageddon

Very glad to help! I have to comment about the pricing thing though....

Those are asking prices, Fender Japanese 80s stuff sometimes has.....how can I put this politely.....VERY unrealistic pricing, and they never sell.....you can't get more than 500 quid for this maximum.....

It's not worth more than a Fender American Standard no matter where you live.....but it's BETTER....

I say keep it and change pickups to higher output to suit your tastes.....

8. Suppressed

Suppressed Strat-Talk Member

9. Suppressed

Photos of guitar before it was sanded down by a friend and tossed in the trash.

JV serial on neck - serial ink stamp also found under pickguard.

Doesn't matter to me since it's a daily Los Angeles session workhorse and a 5 night a week bar band Strat...

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

YelloStrat after the build:

20210629_071325.jpg

10. Guitarmageddon

I hate to say this, but it's a fake Fender.....that neck or body is not Fender JV Japan at all.....they were never headstock adjust truss rod, didn't have that logo....etc....didn't have 12th fret dots that far apart....

No wonder I couldn't identify/authenticate the body, it's not what it claims to be......

FrieAsABird and Suppressed like this.
  11. Suppressed

LOL,

Good thing it was free then!!!!

It's got all Fender hardware, screws and springs, Gotoh SD-91 keys (with a Gibson tuner on the low 'E' for reduced angle) hand made brass saddles and block, brass nut, custom Warmoth 1-3/4" neck, black/yellow/black custom pickguard from Chandler Music in Chico, California and a one-off custom DiMarzio Neanderthal 16.5k AlNico9 44AWG humbucker with two custom made adjustable pole piece/bar magnet, hum canceling single coils.

It earned me $3,500.00 the first month I used it in L.A. sessions and private events.

20210602_121224.jpg 20210529_205455.jpg

12. Suppressed

Interesting story...

One of my colleagues is a video producer as well as a L.A. session drummer. He asked me one day if I could build him a guitar that could be played on fire for a music video. I started searching for some parts and another music friend had this Stratocaster (which came from Matt's Music South Weymouth, MA) and after he sanded it down, he saw it was a ply body and threw it out. He have me the body, the jackplate and the rear cover and I sanded it, primed it and painted it spray can Rustoleum Sun Yellow so it would show up.

I started hitting up some of my sponsors for the parts & materials to complete the project. I got a Musikraft stock replacement neck, onto which I applied a Fender decal for this video and another chum donated the first set of chrome tuners from an Import Strat Copy. As more and more people in the industry head about the project, the more parts begin rolling in. The donated neck plate has a very early fender serial number on it, so that's now the guitar's official I.D.

I went all-out on the project, since the concept was to not destroy the guitar, but to simply have the neck on fire while it was being played. I did a full copper/aluminum shielding job, all genuine Fender hardware (thanks to Fender in Corona) and before long, I had it to where it was playable.

I used aluminum tape and a wick soaked in tiki torch fluid for the flaming effect. I was able to successfully play the guitar while the wick was burning for testing and images are included below.

20201230_132805.jpg

20210126_144852.jpg

20210211_125046.jpg

20210213_064038.jpg

20210213_085959.jpg

20210218_064312.jpg

20210301_134347.jpg

20210301_141413.jpg

On the day of the video shoot, the legal department got wind of what we were planning and the production company and the label said there was "no way in hell you are going to put anything on fire near our artist," not to mention the use permit for the video shoot didn't permit fires...LOL

So, I junked the Musikraft neck, had Warmoth build me a custom boat profile neck, 1-3/4" wide x 1" deep 'V' with Jescar Evo Gold Frets (thanks to my publicist for this) and installed a set of (the donated) Gotoh SD-91's along with a hand fitted (by me) brass nut I made from scratch.

The result is a Strat that can be divebombed 11 semitones all night long and comes back to perfect pitch every time. The tremolo performance is so good that I even made a video of it.

It's got to be one of my most favorite guitars....

YelloStrat Close Up.jpg

13. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

I have already said that the ST57-55 and ST62-55 had Japanese pickups so what's incorrect about that ? As for the bodies I have said nothing about them whatsoever, I confined my comments to the pickups. My ST62-115 has the same USA pickups as my 1983 Fullerton Stratocasters. I seriously doubt the 115 you mention having Japanese pickups from the factory, likely been swapped out by someone at some stage of its life.

14. WightTrashMan

WightTrashMan Strat-Talker

15. WightTrashMan

WightTrashMan Strat-Talker

Lovely lovely vintage instrument. I’d pay good dollar for one. Enjoy and play before you mod or sell.

Frankie786 likes this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

No, it was all factory original, they were plastic bobbin pickups that look almost exactly like Fender MExico Classic Series pickups.....all white/black wires, no RWRP middle.....

What's incorrect is that you say the 55's had alnico pickups, they were Japanese ceramic pickups.....with a big flat black fridge magnet looking piece attached to the back of them....

17. martin1964

martin1964 Strat-Talker

"What's incorrect is that you say the 55's had alnico pickups".

Where did I say that ? I have said twice that the 55's had Japanese pickups, never said anything about them being ceramic or alnico.