Join Strat-Talk Today

83/84 SQ Japanese Squier Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by eggvan, Jun 3, 2019.

1. eggvan

eggvan Strat-Talk Member

Hi folks
    I've recently been handed a SQ Strat. It's in fairly bad shape, but with some new hardware will be good as new. I'm totally gutting the internals, but I wondered if it's worth keeping the bridge, or replacing with a modern vintage style Fender bridge? Same with the tuning pegs.

Also, what finish were they using for the maple necks? There's loads of wear on the neck, it doesn't look like Poly to me.

Thanks

2. Muddslide

Muddslide Strat-Talker

All I can tell you is that back around '82-'83 I acquired both an MIJ Squier Tele and a P Bass.

Both were among the finest examples of Teles and P Basses I ever played and I regret I no longer have them.

eggvan likes this.
  3. eggvan

eggvan Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I can tell it will be a great guitar once it's had some love. It's been through the mill, the p/up covers are missing, the p/up winding is coming out. The electronics are goosed. I'm putting a Tex-Mex loaded pick guard into it which will hopefully bring it back to its former glory. It looks like a true relic!

Jesse414, Muddslide and rafasounds like this.
  4. Muddslide

Muddslide Strat-Talker

Pics would be nice, brother!

5. eggvan

eggvan Strat-Talk Member

Here we go..

Attached Files:

Jesse414 and Mech like this.
  6. georgemundor

georgemundor Strat-Talk Member

Yawww cool looking axe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eggvan likes this.
  7. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Shame about the pickups, I think that year could have some good'ns in it if they are original.

eggvan likes this.
  8. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

love the sq,s..i kept the bridge but replace the saddles ..one with callaham saddles and one with highwood saddles..major improvements

eggvan likes this.
  9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have an Oly White/Maple board - replacing the bridge is probably one of the biggest improvements you can make on that guitar - the stock one (at least on mine,) was pot-metal junk - dead as a doornail.

When I put a Callaham tremolo on my JLV signature strat, I moved the AVRI trem off the JLV to the Squier and that guitar woke up - HUGE improvement.

I eventually put a Vintage/Narrow Callaham trem and that made it much more playable with the high E not so close to the fretboard edge.

It does have tiny little frets though - bit of a bear to play - planning on getting it re-fretted soon.

Pretty sure it is poly finish, although the body on mine does have some checking - the fretboard is barely worn in on mine and have played it for over 15 years, and it was used when I got it.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the original pickups - the stock ones in mine were a bit thin and harsh - only thing cool about them was the middle was not RWRP, so the 2 and 4 positions were super quacky.

Mine has DAllen Echoes pickups in it now - I also refinished the headstock and sprayed it with a coat of aged Vintage nitro for that Yngwie/Hendrix vibe:

[​IMG]

Jesse414 and eggvan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.