83 JV Japanese Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RL21980, May 21, 2020.

1. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Didnt the earlier JVs have the same pickups as the Fender 82-84 AVRI series? Ive seen several of the JVs have Red/Grey Bobbin pickups.

The JV looks to be in good shape, and while the price may be a bit high, Id easily pay it if I wanted the guitar.
    IMHO its as nice as any current production Strat.

I also love the early AVRI from Fullerton 82-84. Ive got 62 AVRI V002504 with 3 Red Bobbins, and have turned $4000+ for it. Several times. I got it new. I payed around $600-$800 for it. Cant remember. Still in great shape. I baby it.
    I also love the bodies on the early AVRI, and used a 7-13-82 57 body for a partscaster. Loaded it with 2x 66 pickups, and 1x 65. 2013 USA Custom Guitars neck. Ilitch Noise Reduction. Its my #1 Strat.

The JVs are also more Vintage Correct, but doesnt make a hill of beans to me tonally. Fullerton Necks are thin. 1 11/16th nut x .79-84 thick. Maybe .83.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I bought mine new in '82 or '83. It was Fender branded and cost $600 Canadian dollars.
    Ice picky bridge pickup, and it would not stay in tune. I'm sure that it was largely my fault for not knowing how to set it up.
    Having said all that, for 1000 bux, I would buy another used MIA, all day.

3. gotzz

gotzz Strat-Talker

Also JVs have more rounded neck edge than Fullertons.

4. Apache49

Apache49 Strat-Talk Member

The Japanese Fenders and Squires of the 80’s were all excellent quality instruments.
    E series Squires MIJ are superb and are highly collectible. Never heard anyone say anything but good about them.

5. snapshot

snapshot New Member!

Is the desirability/quality/ price hierarchy JV/SQ/E? Any difference besides the name between Fender and Squier of that vintage?

6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Sure. No two guitars are exactly alike. There's good and bad examples. I had an 84 SQ that was a dog. I had an E series Squier that was a great guitar. I have a JV that is the best guitar I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a few guitars. Ryan ( @Guitarmageddon ) would be able to tell you more about the specs.

snapshot, Guitarmageddon and Cerb like this.
  7. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

I'm curious - what makes the JV the "best"?

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

The early Fender branded ones are worth more, but it's the exact same guitar as the Squier branded examples......

You will see Fender branded JV's in the 1000+ range, some people are trying to get 1500+ for some of them now but I think that's nuts personally....

Specs? small vintage frets, 7.25" fretboard radius, wide 2 7/32" vintage bridge....what else do you want to know?

snapshot likes this.
  9. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I picked up a 84 JV Contemporary Strat at a Texas pawn shop for $100 - "order made" model with dual humbuckers and 24 frets. Pretty much played and sounded like a$$. Sold it for $200+ a few years later.
    1s_2183.jpg 2s_8974.jpg 6s_7830.jpg

10. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

It sounds better to my ears than any of my others Strats. And I've had it for 37 years. It's home. :)

Thrup'ny Bit and davidKOS like this.
  11. davidKOS

Does it play or feel better than others apart from sound?

12. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yes. Because I know it so well.

A friend of mine has an old Ruger 10-22. He was out shooting, making cans dance. When asked why he was hitting everything he aimed at, he said "I've been shooting this gun for decades. I know it, and it knows me." :D

13. davidKOS

That's an analogy I really understand. Plus, Ruger made a fine firearm.

I feel that way about my Yamaha BX-1 bass. I've had it since the mid 80's and it and I are quite good friends at this point.

same with the 175, which I've had since the early 90's.

14. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

To qualify this slightly. The '65' (originally 65,000 yen) domestic models are the same as the original export models. The '85' had a nitro finish and the '115' had nitro finish and US pots and switches. The water is muddied by the fact that Fender Japan begin building Squier branded models for the domestic market, with Japanese pickups and some with cheap trapezoid tuners, depending on the price. So, it's difficult to use JV as a catch-all phrase as there are big differences in guitars.

As to the value, they are less common than many other Japanese Strats, represent a bit of Fender history, and they do tend to be rather good. Personally, I think they're worth it as I've never played any other Fenders that feel the same. The closest I've come across are CV Squiers and a short lived 58 MIJ reissue.

stratocarlster and rafasounds like this.
  15. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Well. It haunted me for a week and it was still out there so I contacted the seller again and we agreed to terms. It is a Great sounding Strat. Just as snappy as my CS 56 strat but with a different flavor given the wood combination. Killer Hendrix/Frusciante tones! I always get a knot in my gut when I buy gear so I figure I'll be able to truly enjoy it in a week or so. And after a good set up and a 5 way switch is installed.

stratocarlster and fezz parka like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There you go!

It still has the 3 way switch in it? Wow. A time machine.

Thrup'ny Bit and RL21980 like this.
  17. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

yup. All original. Story goes. The guy I bought if from got it from HIS buddy In japan years ago (they’re both Japanese) and played It around the San Francisco club seen for a long time. Never changed a thing.
    I’ll put a 5 way in it. It’ll need a refret in the nearish future but that can wait, (I like larger frets) still plays fine. And that’s it. Got great feel, great tone, a cool story
    ( I’m a sucker for that kinda thing) I’m sold. Getting it set up and a 5 way put in it tomorrow.

Kyri, Mankonis, Howdy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Fairlane 63

Fairlane 63 Strat-Talker

Post some more pictures and be sure to keep the original switch.

Love happy endings. :thumb:

RL21980 likes this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Now that is pretty unusual. :)

fezz parka likes this.
  20. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

10CE4BA9-0603-499E-877A-D6AC8CBA0320.jpeg
    Mine still has the original 3 way. I’d rather it was a 5 but every bit of solder is original and I don’t want to tinker with it. I just use the tried and trusted ‘prop it in between’ technique as needed.