92 Serial Number with a 98 neck stamp

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jkremer1, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Jkremer1

Jkremer1 New Member!

Hi guys, I popped my neck off my 1992 USA Floyd Rose Strat and the neck is stamped 1998. Really confused on this one. The Fender serial number lookup says 92-93. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Welcome to the forum!! That sure looks like it is stamped 1993 on the neck heel, not 1998.....

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. Jkremer1

Jkremer1 New Member!

Thank you! I added a larger pic. Everyone I show in person swears that is an 8

4. Guitarmageddon

That's a 3, it's misprinted...the 3 is darker than the other left side that would make it a complete 8.....

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

to my eye it looks like someone "modified" the 8 to look like a double strike with a 3.. i suspect someone changed the neck in the past and wanted to date to look correct.

r

CB91710 likes this.
  6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

A 1992 USA with the SN# on the back ?
    We need to see the whole guitar.

Ebidis likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Hey Ron, what do you think here - same FN2 serial, but it has the later 'look' of the headstock bottom 'pregnant' curve from 1995 and later??

Maybe FN2's WERE from 1998? Might as well tag @John C too

https://reverb.com/item/817508-very-rare-fender-stratocaster-black-fn-serial-export-usa

The one above is a NON FLOYD model but same serial prefix.....

8. Guitarmageddon

Wound_Up likes this.
  9. Jkremer1

Jkremer1 New Member!

10. Guitarmageddon

'Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster' is the name of your model.....and FN2 might not mean 1992, we need more people to reply and see this thread....

11. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talk Member

12. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Agreed - the Floyd Rose Classics had their own range of serial numbers and did not conform to the "normal" Fender serial numbers.

It's similar to the Artist Signature models having "SE9xxxxx" serial numbers from 1989 all the way through 1993 (or maybe eve 1994).

13. Antonio77

Yes. I think that SE means "signatur Edition". Also the "TN7" serial number, used on many Hendrix "tribute" guitars it's not related to any specific year.
    I also see few Buddy Guy Strats MIM and Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex Strat woth "MSN" serial number that weren't built in '90s.

14. John C

Possibly - I've always been under the impression that only the "S" part meant "Signature" and the "E" part was for "Eighties" like the standard Fender USA serial number and just that they had printed up a large batch of the "SE" decals that took them a while to use up. When the SE9 prefix decals were used up the Artist Signatures began using "SN" serial numbers - I can't remember if it was in 1994 (so they moved to SN4xxxxxx decals) or 1995 (so they moved to SN5xxxxxx decals). But from that point on it was definitely just the "S" for "Artist Signature" followed by the normal serial number for a given year until 2010 when Fender dropped using the "S" prefix for the Signature models - when they changed the serial number format to first just a "10" followed by the number for about 3 months, then to the "US10xxxxxx" - the format they continue to use today.

That's what is going on with the MIM Artist Signatures - Fender was putting the "M" prefix before the normal USA annual prefix, then they dropped the "S" in after the "M" for a while - they must have printed up a bunch of the "MSN" prefix decals because as you say they were used on a few models well into the 2000s.

And for those keeping score Fender started using a "D" prefix in front of the annual prefix for the American Deluxe models when they came out in 1998 - so "DN8xxxxxx" for 1998 American Deluxes, DN9 for 1999, DZ0 for 2000 (but they have a run or two in 2000 that just use the standard "Z0xxxxxx" decals), DZ1, etc. Similar to the Signature models they stop using the "D" prefix on American Deluxes when they changed the serial number format in 2010.

Antonio77 likes this.
  15. Jkremer1

Jkremer1 New Member!

Thanks for all the reply so far. The fifth and sixth digit is 98. Perhaps that is the year in these serial numbers instead of the N2?

Antonio77 likes this.
  16. Antonio77

Sure, it could be possibile. However, when I see all those serial numbers (or the "E4" and "N9") I understand that we can't date a Strat inly by looking at its serial number.

17. John C

Exactly - Fender had the codes changing over in say January/early February of a given year from roughly 1996-2009; everything before and after isn't really that great of an approximation - and even during 1996-2009 you had to check the neck and body dates to get an accurate date. Not telling you anything you don't already know.:)

Antonio77 likes this.
  18. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

I personally doubt it. That number is buried too deep. That FN number looks like an anomaly among Fender serial numbers. The “2” may not have anything to do with the year. I’m Pretty sure that guitar is a 98 based on the heel stamp. Contact Fender, they might be able to clarify it.

19. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

Just contact fender with the serial number and they'll tell you the year and if you'd like, they'll send you an email with all the specs. That's what I've done with mine. Kind of nice to have all the specs in a file. Very official :).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  20. John C

No; these are just one of Fender's many serial number anomalies that have popped up over the years that the Floyd Rose Classics have their own, very odd serial numbers that don't fit in with Fender's "normal" serial number system.