'93 Strat Plus: Putting in newer locking tuners or leave it stock?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CalicoSkies, Sep 9, 2021.

1. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I had a mid-90’s Strat Plus for a while. Great guitars! As others have said, leave it alone. It’s a waste of money to put new tuners on that are functionally the same. You only need to unscrew them a few turns to change strings anyway. There’s no reason to back it all the way out until the wheel falls off.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  2. db0967

db0967 Strat-Talk Member

3. db0967

db0967 Strat-Talk Member

I have a 1989 Strat Plus and I had one of the wheels fall off and while putting it back in I slightly bent the pin. After that I straightened the pin reinserted the wheel and made sure never to loosen the wheel so much that it falls out. I have never had a problem again. So if you can be careful I wouldn't change them.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  4. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Either (A) be more careful - I had to make replacement pins out of finishing nails when I had Sperzels. And I think the locking tuners are way over rated anyway - and ugly. I bought them and put them in instead of getting a nicely made nut. No improvement at all over the Schaller minis I already had. Especially with the roller nut you could just get regular American Fender tuners, shed some weight and unsightliness and just get on playing that lovely guitar.

5. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

hmmmmm, a half turn usually is enough for the GBE, maybe a turn and a half for the EAD, certainly no more needed than that ...

Brian H likes this.
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't really agree, as I think they look fine (and even maybe a bit cool compared to non-locking tuners), and I doubt they add significant weight to a headstock. I've played guitars with non-locking tuners where I had put locking tuners on it, and I didn't notice any perceptible difference in weight on that end of the guitar.

Slartybartfast likes this.
  7. charriman

charriman New Member!

i'd leave them be if they are tuning correctly.

Slartybartfast and CalicoSkies like this.
  8. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talk Member

I put standard Schallers on my 91 Plus many years ago; never liked the sound or engineering of the locking ones. Don't laugh, their is a difference in sound, esp with the Wilkinson nut.

9. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Its more like ' Patirnt: Doctor, my leg hurts when I skip vigorously'
    Doctor: dont skip vigorously

I own 2 Strat Pluses ... They are my favorite Strat among FENDER strats

None of my other Fenders come close ...

I have NO idea if my locking tuners do what the op's do. The buffer between unscrewed enough to.slip.a string in and ALL THE.WAY unscrewed is apparently pretty big

imo locking tuners are one of the few design improvements in guitars that have no tradeoffs ... Now they simply work better in EVERY way without 'giving something up' which distinguishes them from most improvements in design . I guess the fact they don't look exactly like vintage tuners (no slot visible from top etc. ) is a 'tradeoff ' in the strictest sense but that's getting a little silly

Obviously ease I speed in changing strings is part of the draw but the main draw is with conventional tuners the "weak" link in the 'chain' so to speak from end to end in a guitar string strung on a guitar is where the string wraps around the tuner pole

Its a somewhat delicate balance when you string up between TOO MANY COILS and TOO FEW COILS as to.getting tuning stability

Having a zero.slip 'locked in' connection point simply WORKS. it can't be less stable than the most perfectly coiled setup on a standard tuner... At BEST a conventional tuner can be AS stable

I guess if you are going to.switch between different tunings than lock or not you have to leave sufficient coil ORVslack. Sticking out past the crimp.point but the latter could be problematic

Imnsho the ONLY 'advantage ' of conventional tuners is that ... They are conventional (excuse the tautology) .. If you want a vintage replica that looks and functions the same well then ... But that's not a design or function shortcoming

T Bone Slort likes this.
  10. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

11. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talk Member

Why do you need to undo them all the way? There's no need. I only undo them enough to get the get the string in or out. I've never had one come off.

12. ReedRainey

ReedRainey Strat-Talk Member

Thought I was the only one that happened to. I've found my low E is particularly susceptible to dropping off like that on my U.S. Ultra Strat from the same period, so I put some thread-locker on all of them to give them more resistance to un-screwing and the problem resolved itself. Pay attention to the thread-locker you buy and don't get the permanent type or you might not be able to move the thumb screws afterward. I'd try that first before I replaced the tuners. You might not need to. But even if it fixes the problem, if you feel a little paranoia that it might happen again, you can always change them out. Just get a high-quality set of lockers to match your high quality 'Plus' guitar.

By the way, how do you like the "swimming pool" rout Fender gave us under the pickguard? With mine, I can even put 3 sets of Humbuckers underneath, if I want to. Very flexible design.

13. CalicoSkies

I don't 'need' to.. The first time I was changing the strings, I guess I just naturally loosened them all the way and accidentally realized they'd come off when loosened all the way. I think I'm used to the newer locking tuners I have on other guitars where they don't come off.

I didn't realize it had a swimming pool rout until I was replacing the pickguard screws recently. Although I like modding guitars, I intend to keep my Strat Plus stock. I've heard that a swimming pool rout could potentially be a disadvantage, as it removes wood from the guitar body, but it seems it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

14. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

Yeah... sorry, not to be rude, but I find "locking tuners" to be a gimmick, almost a scam. My first question is "Why?", I know you said they came with the guitar. What are they supposed to accomplish? Is it tying off the string that is too much of a hassle? Problems staying in tune rarely have anything to do with the machines unless something (including the machine, I suppose) is loose, mechanically. The machines do not rotate at the capstan (imperceptibly at most). Out of everything I own or have played, I have personally never bothered with such a thing. Played them in a store, but, meh...

15. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

How do you "play a tuner"? And even then, come up with a "meh" review, lol...?

If the shop let you change a string, you'd have an accurate idea of what we are talking about.

Literally, set the tuners 'hole' up in line with the nut, pull string through, tighten down. Tune. Clip.

30 seconds.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  16. CalicoSkies

I do think locking tuners make for quicker string changes, since you don't have to take time winding the string around the post. That's what I like about them most, rather than any potential problems staying in tune.

I don't think they're a scam, and if a guitar comes with locking tuners, I wouldn't replace them..

17. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

+1!

No need to do the 'correct' amount of wraps. Whether the string is wrapping around in the correct fashion or not. ect ect ect

PLUS the biggest factor. Mother Nature. My eyes are getting bad, and I find I'm having a hard time stringing my Les Paul's strings, especially the higher ones. Even with my specs on.

With locking tuners, Jeff Healey could swap his own strings.

18. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

[​IMG]

19. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

The difference in weight between locking and non locking Fender tuners is only 3/10 of an ounce. That is completely negligible for sure.
    20210909_182435.jpg 20210909_183131.jpg
    If weight is truly an issue then go for a set of anodized Sperzel locking tuners. They are by far the lightest I've come across.
    20210909_184115.jpg

Slartybartfast and CalicoSkies like this.
  20. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

There is no preceptable difference in a swimming pool route and a 50s route. You couldn't tell until the cover came off so that should say something about it.
    As a guy that mods them a lot I actually prefer the Swimming Pool as it gives me a lot more options.
    For example:
    20210515_184930.jpg
    Yes, those P90s fit without any extra routing. In fact, I closed in the pool a bit by the bridge to bolster it with the Floyd Rose route. Other than that, the pool is original spec.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    CalicoSkies and Bob the builder like this.