'93 Strat Plus: Putting in newer locking tuners or leave it stock?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CalicoSkies, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

Ah, quicker string changes, as in not having to make those tedious little lassos and then wish for a third hand to hold everything together before you can pull the string up to tension! I get that, thank you. I truly did not even think about that. I guess that, in my case, over time I have developed some techniques for wrestling them on. But, thanks, learning anything new is good.

Believer7713 likes this.
  2. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Yeah, largely a psychological thing from looking at them and seeing all that metal and bulk and overly busy structure. As far as locking, I do use locking Klusons one of my parts teles, but only because since the 70s I've battled with a 9 or 10 string slipping out of that last tuner and I'd just had it. BTW I always wanted an Olympic White Strat Plus w/rosewood but I always get too caught up in building my own stuff to get an actual Fender.

Believer7713 likes this.
  3. Markbuffyfan

Markbuffyfan Strat-Talk Member

Just bought a set of pings ie fender they have the same issue wisely is cost effective

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

Really? I've used the Fender Ping locking tuners (and my partscaster has those) and I haven't had the locker wheels fall off of those.

5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Sweetwater has brushed chrome Fender locking tuners in stock

Screenshot_20210925-024956_Chrome.jpg

CalicoSkies likes this.
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

My Fender locking tuners dont. The wheels stay firmly attached. Seems like you got a bad set and need to exchange them.

Personally I like them that way because I can just unscrew until they're loose and I don't have to worry about whether I've loosened the wheel enough to fall out.

"just don't screw the wheel off" well then you have to pay attention to how many, times you twisted the thumb lock thing and forget all that. I just unscrew without thinking about it. I don't have to make sure I stop before this or that. I just unscrew until they spin freely. It's not any simpler than that. And it's much, much easier than having to count the turns as you unscrew to make sure you don't pull it all the way out.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

A piece of the inner mechanism may drop as well. As long as it doesn't drop down the vent, or a crack in the floor and you still can find it, you may be able to get it back together.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have two very early 90's Strat Plus guitars , one bought new in 91 and another bought used in mid-2000s, and have yet to have the Schaller tuner wheels come off unless I intentionally remove them, which I have done on rare occasions to lube the locking pins. There is no need to loosen them all the way when changing strings. Change them if you want, if it makes you feel that they are more secure, but the problem is not with your locking tuners. One issue I have noticed is that, when hung on my wall mounted guitar hangers, the low E-string tuner wheel sometimes touches the "fork" prong and can loosen from the downward pressure causing it to loosen slightly. I'm aware of it, cautious about it when lifting or replacing those guitars on their wall hangers, and always check that E-tuner wheel to ensure it is tight and that the E string is not slipping. Like anything else (trem arm tightness and over-all tuning for instance) it's just something that has to be managed. But it's the wall hanger design, and not the tuner that's the culprit.

9. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I had a neck that came with locking tuners. The musician that had them installed was blind and found it difficult to change strings. After a while he was able to make string changes and even he didn't like them anymore. I changed them. Gotoh or similar tuners have never slipped on any of my axes so why even bother with those ugly things? Break a string during a set? It really doesn't take but a couple of minutes to change one using a winder.

10. RandyM

RandyM Strat-Talker

On the early Schaller locking tuners, the buttons can be completely removed. Not so on newer (Fender/Ping).

11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member