1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

$9414.93 Custom Shop Closet Classic Strat. Why is this special?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarchaeologist, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

No, you'll see several masterbuilt relics around this price on eBay if you sort the search results by price. It is way out of wack when we consider the much greater skill required to hand-build a fine boutique acoustic guitar - those truly deserve a price near 10k. However, the Strat is more popular and Fender manufactures their Masterbuilder images in an attempt to generate a mojo. It must be working as they produce many guitars at this price. For my money, $10,000 mojo is only attached to a Strat with actual vintage. That said, I do love the Masterbuilt closet classic I purchased 15 years ago at less than a 3rd of this price..

2. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

When I see this stuff, I go back to SRV and Hendrix. Maybe even Clapton and Gilmour. Think about their signature guitars. Did they go out and spend THOUSANDS on a strat? No. They saw them in music stores. Bought them. Then made them their own by just playing them and playing them well. Lenny was a $350 Strat that SRV couldn't even afford. Hendrix would pawn his guitars then buy another one in the next town. THey are worth the money they are now because of their provenance, not because someone built it in the custome shop. Did they even have a custom shop in that time? The stories of these guitars are cool to me because the players just happenend into them. Better to play a cheap guitar well than play a $9500 guitar poorly. I used to aspire to play my $350 strats as good as they should have been. I failed, lol.

I don't think this is what Leo envisioned when he created the Tele and Strat.

CAR63 and simoncroft like this.
  3. roneysam

roneysam Strat-Talk Member

That's what real checking looks like. You either like it or don't. It's not as if they did a poor job on the relic.

4. roneysam

roneysam Strat-Talk Member

This thread is just bait for jealous haters who troll on FCS. Thanks for that.

5. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

So can I assume that is your guitar for sale?
    Really??? I have almost 5000 posts here. I am polite in my posts and have a relic guitar made from a 59 AVRI and custom hardtail body... hardly a inexpensive endeavor.
    This post is absolutely not about trolling or jealousy. It's a legit question to try and understand why this particular guitar is so much more expensive than most other custom shop guitars.
    I get that some harsh comments were made in this post, but not by me!
    But thanks for stopping by new friend.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Nate D and simoncroft like this.
  6. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Strat-Talk Member

StratMike10, Nate D and simoncroft like this.
  7. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

It will probably be bought by some rich collector, probably in Japan, and will never be played.

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

It's not so much the guitars themselves which are special but you really ought to see the energetic little jig the Fender marketing man does when somebody buys one ........

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

And it has shiplap siding, sort of anyway...

10. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

It’s not as much as the Ford Saleen Model. It’s like $20,000.00!!!

CB91710 likes this.
  11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The marketing hype plus case candy equals a much higher profit margin.

Faux relic’ing should devalue the instrument not increase the value.

12. mexipan

mexipan Strat-Talker

I'd be in US I'd better build a warmoth partcaster for 25% of a masterbuild, unless I'm rich AF.

13. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

Interesting
    observation. I would tend to agree you wouldn't just let this guy sit around unplayed, it needs to bee heard and seen.

14. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

Have you ever seen the matched tele and strat in western motif with silver barbed wire and hide inserts?

15. skidbrake

skidbrake New Member!

Beautiful guitar, but this price point feels like an IQ test ...

16. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Strats are planks of wood with holes routed in them, just for perspective.

soulman969 and simoncroft like this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Always puzzled me as to why. I mean, given the parts to bolt together, there are a few in here that could do it. It’s not as if building a bolt on neck guitar and setting it up is akin to starting with a tree and building a carved top set neck with beautiful veneered top.

axeman99 and soulman969 like this.
  18. CKC411

CKC411 New Member!

I know F*@%-all about the appeal of the brand new relic'd guitars, but I get how the extra work by a premier builder might jack up the price. I would be a buyer for this guitar at about $3k and then hope to sell it for $4k. That said, I am clearly not the demo for this and it seems like very few are. That might be the appeal. Someone might see this, fall in love, have money burning a hole, etc. The more I look at the more I like it... just kidding.

19. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

I thought real lacquer checking ran across the grain not with it... or a combination of the two but

20. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

It's not. This is special:

[​IMG]

Nate D, Stevn and simoncroft like this.