1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

$9414.93 Custom Shop Closet Classic Strat. Why is this special?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarchaeologist, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Paignton boy

Paignton boy Strat-Talk Member

That would buy a whole street in some parts of Rotherham.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

At the moment, it would probably buy the whole lot and a bit of Wath thrown in.

Nate D likes this.
  3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Who's jealous? I could afford to buy a crate full of them, but I've yet to be convinced it isn't functionally identical to something I could buy for $1,500. :D

As prospective purchasers, we're perfectly entitled to discuss whether we feel the instrument represents value for money. As it is, I'm convinced this is a textbook marketing ploy: you put out a few flagship models at hideously inflated prices in order to make the rest of your offering look like value for money.

Let's look at the bigger picture. Fender has fought hard to get back its reputation for consistently high quality instruments ever since launching the 'Dan Smith era', Strats of the early 1980s. Unfortunately for Fender, getting the guitars back up to spec proved to be easier than convincing the market to accept a realistic price point. I seem to remember it being said that the company was shipping every guitar with a $10 bill inside the case, the point being they were making a loss.

Nearly 40 years on, and Fender has its offering neatly divided into a series of price points, and guitarists expect a Squier to cost the least, the MIM lines to be mid-range, MIA lines to be priced to attract experienced players, and the CS instruments to be more expensive, considerably so in the case of the Masterbuilt instruments, and the small numbers exotic deviations from the basic Strat formula. It's been a long battle, but the number of people who accept that a new Strat can be worth $3,000+ is now quite large.

In fact, I've just Googled 'Fender masterbuilt' and I was struck by how many UK outlets had multiple examples in stock, even in these troubled times. Over here, some of them are in the $6,000+. Coda Music alone has 20 examples listed on its site, so there's a lot of money hanging on dealers' walls across the UK, and it's fair to assume these instruments sell.

However, when one comes along at $9,000+, it's quite reasonable to ask why.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  5. Paignton boy

Paignton boy Strat-Talk Member

And west Melton

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

And most of Lancashire.

Welcome to the mayhem :)

Nate D likes this.
  7. Jeigh

Jeigh Strat-Talk Member

These guitars are for a certain niche of customers. I know this is hard to believe, but there are people that have more money than they know what to do with... So what happens is they want things that nobody else can have, because they are often insecure & feel that material things will make them feel better about themselves by appearing "better" than others. They have no problem paying ridiculous amounts of money for these material things, despite the fact that the glow quickly wares off, & after a few weeks they will go back to feeling down, & insecure; then the cycle starts all over again.

I think it's best to ignore these guitars & the people seeking them. It's not about music for them, & in fact, a lot of them don't even have the skills needed to tame that beast to begin with.

Glyderslead likes this.
  8. Thrup'ny Bit

johnnymg and simoncroft like this.
  9. Jeigh

Jeigh Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, but this was over done; I think that's what he's trying to say. I have 50 year old instruments; one that was rarely played, & neither have finish checking like that. It's like some weird trend in the 1% guitar hackers club; they think patina is a golden ticket to heaven or something of the sort.

simoncroft likes this.
  10. 90LPB-62AVRI

90LPB-62AVRI New Member!

I personally like my 1990 American '62 reissue better. More mojo, cost me $1100 back in 2013. Has original case and all candy. I put the rails pickup in the bridge, have original. 20201016_133217.jpg

Jeigh, Nate D and simoncroft like this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Between you and me and the fence post I think the answer to the question of why Fender charges what they do is "Because we can and some fool will pay it".

Getting into reasons why this is so would take us perilously close to political pathways we probably should not tread so I'll just say the massive degree of income equality today is not an imaginary thing. Fender did not produce CS instruments that cost the equivalent of $10k in today's dollars 50 years ago.

CB91710 likes this.
  12. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That's the beauty of the free market.
    If they didn't move all they can build at 10k, they'd drop them to 5k.
    Whether the value is real or a perception because of the name on the COA, if they were not "worth it" then they would not sell.

As far as the value perception... that is another beautiful tenent of the free market.
    Find a need and fulfill it.
    Create a need and fulfill it.

If you can market a widget in a way that makes people believe that they MUST have your new widget, even though they survived for 60 years without one, you are a success.

Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, automakers.....

Nate D and Wrighty like this.
  13. soulman969

I have no quarrel with free market economics at all. Never have. If you can find a market for solid gold crappers build as many as you can find buyers for. I'm not advocating we should all dress in identical grey flannel garb and carry Mao's "Little Red Book" about our bodies.

As far as value itself goes in nearly every product made value is 90% perception which is why marketing and advertising pros get paid big bucks to create those perceptions mostly based on "gotta have it" more so than the intrinsic value based solely on fundamental costs and/or utility.

I was just reflecting back on how much farther down the road of perceptions of value we've come compared to my own experiences over the years. It's just an observation not a judgement on it being right or wrong. To paraphrase J G Wentworth I say "it's your money, spend it how you like"

CB91710 likes this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

But do they SELL ? Asking price is one thing. Sale price is another.

Note: Listing ended. No sale.

15. Chaplin

Chaplin Strat-Talk Member

They should have called it the shelf queen, because that's where it'll stay. ffs

CB91710 likes this.
  16. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Thats quite a high price. If someone pays it there'll be some happy guy(or gal) getting a big fat check!

17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

The guitar is 10k. I doubt if 50% of the selling price goes to the builder, how many of these can he build/sell every year?
    Maybe he can kick out one a month, in addition to the "Team built"
    If he's doing 1 a month, and getting half of that 10k, that's only 60k/year. That's about half what you need to live comfortably in SoCal.

I honestly don't know if these builders are on commission, or if they collect a flat salary, determined by what Fender believes them to be worth to the company.

Nate D and soulman969 like this.
  18. soulman969

This is what I'm wondering as well.

Are all of the CS shop guys on a base salary or do they get a base plus a bonus or commission on each build that sells? Does the builder set his own price or does Fender set the price?

19. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

I was referring to the seller in Germany. Fender already got paid from the retailer who purchased it.

Agreed on Cal. housing prices. I'm up here in the bay area. (excuse me "silicon" valley... was the "Santa Clara valley" when I was a kid) and 60k wouldn't get you a tuff shed in my backyard with the way things are now.

guitarchaeologist and CB91710 like this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Its special because its a down payment on a house even in CA......

Pretty nice status symbol.

Makes it pretty special I say!