1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

$9414.93 Custom Shop Closet Classic Strat. Why is this special?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarchaeologist, Oct 13, 2020.

1. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talk Member

I would rather have the guitar

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

10k down payment?
    On what?
    10k might be first and last month's rent with a security deposit in LA.

RL21980 likes this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

It’s just extreme retail therapy. Some of us buy a new set of strings, some of us pick up a MIM Strat at a good price, some of us, (or more likely someone not ‘of us), can afford a guitar like this. I spent time working in the Middle East. Over there, the local sheik could, and often would, wake up one morning and fancy another aeroplane, especially if the sheik next door had just bought one. The instruction would go out ‘buy a Boeing 747, have it painted in my colours and completely refit the interior’. Once delivered in all probability the novelty had ling since worn off and he never flew in it.

Jeigh likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Did this one take him twice as long to build, and therefore cost Fender about twice as much, as a £5K example? I very much doubt it.

5. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

That checking on the body is NOT done with a heat gun and a can of freeze-spray.
    That is all done by hand with a single edged razor blade or a scalpel.
    Same for the Tom Murphy aged Gibson models.

So ya... this level of "relic" takes significantly longer to build than, using CS terms, a "NOS" which has little to no aging added.

Nate D likes this.
  6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

True true. Either way a good chunk of change for first time buyers lol

RL21980 likes this.
  7. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Strat-Talker

Because someone will pay $10k for it. And it will play and sound just like....yep, you guessed it...a Strat.

RL21980 likes this.
  8. Southpa

Southpa Strat-Talk Member

Building an electric guitar is not rocket science. Just follow the basic rules regarding action, intonation and what serviceable materials to use and you can't miss. I made a routing template that covers neck pocket, pickup holes, control cavity, plug-in jack and tremolo pocket all in one go. I can bang off an entire strat or tele body in an afternoon which includes bandsawing the shape, cavity routing, body bevels and finish sanding. My finished product might not be something to brag about like the subject posted here but they stay in tune and play good with the right hardware installed. When it boils down to basics its just a guitar.

9. Neil Davies

Neil Davies Strat-Talk Member

The price is crazy, yes, but the whole concept seems a bit off to me.

I can see that the Roadworn ones are supposed to look like it's got history, but with a Closet Classic, isn't it designed to look like it's just been pulled out of storage? And if you start to play it a lot, and it wears, is it no longer a Closet Classic, just a **** old guitar that hasn't reached Relic status yet?

Yes, tongue wedged firmly in cheek there...

10. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I get that. Exclusivity and uniqueness are desirable. What I do not understand is this particular guitar.
    Check the posted specs... nothing special about it at all short of a "AA" Flamed Quatersawn [sic] Maple Neck and Tomatillo p'ups.
    Little difference between this and an off-the-shelf 59 Journeyman as far as I can tell.

It should be clarified that this guitar is not being sold by Fender, but by an individual/store, and it's in Germany. I realize that importation of guitars can be expensive in some places (like here in Turkey), but wow.
    And now that I type that out, the idea of exclusivity (in Germany) comes back.
    See, I am gaining a better understanding of the price.

11. axeman99

axeman99 New Member!

Not as if it’s a Stromberg or a real master.
    If you copied the Mona Lisa you would be called a fraudster..,

12. axeman99

axeman99 New Member!

Like Lexus and Toyota?

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Played? Not at all. It would spend 99.99% of its time in a $3500 display case in a posh office.

fendergaspumpdisplaycase.JPG

Jeigh likes this.
  14. Wrighty

OK, get that, definitely adds to the labour costs.

15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Dont you get it....

You dont buy it to play.....

You buy it not to play and to keep away under your bed, in the closet, in an attic or basement without seeing the light of day for at least 25 years.

Then you open it to see it for only 25 minutes with a timer to make sure you dont go a minute over, a glass of wine and Cuban cigar 20 feet away admiring the beauty of it cherishing every minute you get to gaze upon it...then after 25 minutes have passed you put it away for another 25 years not to be seen again.....

Its not for playing silly or actually even looking at almost ever. Its not meant to be played or even seen....

Its just meant to exist somewhere hidden away with the thought of it alone being enough for the player.....

This is a Closet Classic after all.

16. Paignton boy

Paignton boy Strat-Talk Member

I get the relic thing and really like them I bought a CS 56 years ago only paid £1400 new played and gigged a lot still love it well worth the money.

17. TeleRooo

TeleRooo New Member!

Because someone out there will pay that much for it. After all, they said it was SPECIAL....

18. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

This really hit home for me . In 1976 I took my Tele to the music shop to get a new pickup as one had quit on me . The guy working in there asked me if I wanted to buy a '63 Strat . I checked it out , but passed on it , but by the time I got home I changed my mind and went back and bought it . It is a nitro refin , I had it refretted with jumbos and I put in a '76 Strat pickup I had sent to Seymour Duncan to rewind . Very clean brown case . Not original but it was ( is ) a dream to play . I feel very fortunate to have spent 25 years in working bands with such a treasure to play . No , not in the league of the guys mentioned above , a similar story I guess . I hope whomever plunks down 9K+ for this Strat will at least play it . Will these appreciate in time or depreciate ? Who knows , but I'm pretty sure my '63 will appreciate , even as a player .

19. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

Someone will buy it. They will show it to their friends. Their friends will all say it's awesome but either be thinking it's a waste of money or will be clueless and won't give two turds.

20. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

Or someone could buy a thin skin, play the crap out of it and let the checking pop up naturally. I have a 2017 MIA with poly and it's starting to check. Are people no longer interested in genuine sh!t and being rewarded for hard work and patience?!