Join Strat-Talk Today

9s on a Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by draelyc, Jul 9, 2019.

1. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

I have a Taylor Academy nylon crossover (25.5" scale, I think). Taylor ships them with high tension strings. I switched to Thomastik "rope core" strings. All 6 have stranded steel cable cores, the trebles are flat-wound with nylon, and the basses are flat-wound with silver-plated copper. Oddly enough, the tension is slightly lower than the stock strings despite the steel cores. I use them because I keep my nails short and they make it easier to get a good tone with flesh, but as a bonus I really like way they feel to both hands. I've though about trying them on a steel-string acoustic, although the neck and bridge would certainly need adjustment.

draelyc likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Strat-O-Master

I have a dozen Strats. They are loaded with 9's, 9.5's, and 10's. They all sound great. Definitel different, but all great.

draelyc likes this.
  3. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

Whoa — cool! :thumb:

4. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Strat-O-Master

My new fender professional came stock with 9,s. Put 10,s on and the trem stayed in tune better but was just to stiff for my liking, so back to 9,s. I do like the 9 5,s too. Kinda of best of both worlds.

draelyc likes this.
  5. strattopper

strattopper Strat-Talker

I use 9-42 on all my guitars... Gibson or Fender...Perfect for me and Tone for Day's...
    I tried the heavy string thing... Found out you don't really need them...

draelyc likes this.
  6. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Seemed as if for a time...it was some kind of badge of honor to play with thicker strings.

For me the difference in my sound using 10s is not that different than 9s...and 9s are easier and more enjoyable....better for bends. I could use 10s and increase my hand strength, but why do that...the hand strength is good for 9s.

Thrup'ny Bit, mshivy and draelyc like this.
  7. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

You're in good company, those are Angus Young's strings of choice also. ;)

I'm quite fond of EB super slinks myself. Most all my Strats use them.

8. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Amps, pickups, and effects for tone, strings for feel.

Stratbats, mshivy and draelyc like this.
  9. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talk Member

For many years, as a matter of course I put 9's on my Fender-scale instruments and 10's on shorter scale instruments. I have a bandmate who absolutely hates 9's; whenever he plays one of my guitars he complains about them. So recently I put 10's on a couple Strats, just to try them out, but I don't really like them. On the other hand, he digs in and really pounds on the guitar, and I play with a pretty light touch, so I can see why he might want more resistance from the strings.

On the other hand, just the other day, I pulled out a Tele I have, and on that guitar, the 9's felt insubstantial. I think I'm going to put 10's on that one. But I'm also going to set it up with 5 strings in Keith Richards open tuning. And I have one Strat that had flatwound 11's on it when I got it, and somehow they work great on that particular guitar.

draelyc likes this.
  10. draelyc

So I just did some quick comparing, and I think I’m gonna stick with my original plan — 9-46s on my Fender scale axes, and 10-48s on the Gibson scale. I’ve about got the setups dialed in so that they feel almost identical. I think they sound pretty good, too.

Here’s a quick vid — first two are 25.5” scale; last one is 24.75”. No idea what scale my puppy is, lol! :p

Stratbats likes this.
  11. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Sounds real good! When I was 17 (1982) SRV was big and I played 12s or 13s... I've played 9s for decades now. Way easier for me, have a touch of arthritis, etc. 9s are a joy to play, love fresh strings!

mshivy, CB91710 and draelyc like this.
  12. draelyc

Thanks, Stratbats. I’m not at all sure that I don’t have a touch of arthritis, myself. Runs in the family, unfortunately.

13. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

I used to think this. I used that thinking to justify why I kept using 11s and "couldn't" switch down.

Then I tried out 10s again, and found they broke less often than 11s.

The only rationale I can think of is that lighter strings need lower tension than heavier ones to tune to the same notes.

Obviously there are a whole load of other factors at play here, e.g. how heavy-handed you play, but this is my experience. Yours may differ.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

draelyc likes this.
  14. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

9s sound just fine.

draelyc likes this.
  15. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Currently enjoying the 11s on my strats. After a very brief period of adjustment I don't notice the tension anymore, but I do like the tone I get now more. As far as breakage goes, I've never broken strings much because I replace them pretty frequently. On EB Hybrids I had a couple that were defective and unwound off the brass nut but even that was an anomaly.

mshivy and draelyc like this.
  16. johntrem

johntrem Strat-Talker

I'm a Dapper Dan Man.

CigBurn likes this.
  17. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

After all this talk of string gauges, I decided to get some 8-38 NYXL strings and put them on my strat. Had them on for a couple of days now. I'm loving it! :thumb:

draelyc likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

9s are fine, I used them on everything for almost 40 years, until I switched to 8s...

draelyc and brians like this.
  19. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Tried 8s on a custom LP and could never play a chord in tune, Gorrilla grip:oops:

draelyc likes this.
  20. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I've also used 9's all my life on my electrics, EB slinky , best brand for me as I find they don't tarnish, also I leave it to the very last before I change strings, sometimes months. I way prefer worn in strings and these EB's last.
    I play every day, and I don't spare the horses, and I don't break strings.
    If the nut and saddles are sorted, I don't know why so many people here say they break the high E.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

draelyc likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.