Join Strat-Talk Today

9s on a Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by draelyc, Jul 9, 2019.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

I play .010-.046 on all my electrics, and they feel fine. I'm lazy and it's easier to just buy a bunch of string sets in the same sizes.

2. Dmac73

Dmac73 Strat-Talker

Kinda off the gauge subject. Can anyone recommend a string that’s not so bright. I’ve only used EB D’Adarrio and dR pure blues. I haven’t tried GHS or Fender. I like the strings I’ve tried. Was just wondering if there’s a particular string that’s best for clean rhythm playing.

3. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

I play NYXL’s 10-52 and I wouldn’t say they’re extremely “bright”

Dmac73 likes this.
  4. draelyc

draelyc Strat-Talk Member

Hmm, I would have thought bright would be better for clean rhythm...

Fwiw, you could try a string with a pure nickel wrap instead of nickel plated steel. It will only affect the wound strings, but it should warm things up a bit. They're really spendy, but you could also try Thomastik Infeld Blues Sliders ~ they have a mellower tone and their own "thing" going on. They're not cheap, but at least the feel and sound as expensive as they actually are. :eek:

Dmac73 and kurher like this.
  5. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

You've got one/two of these right?

tone.jpg

SAguitar, draelyc and Dmac73 like this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

The DR Pure Blues do have a pure nickel wrap, I think. The Thomastik Blues Sliders are nice (have them on a Gibson Lucille) - I think they are sort of a hybrid string made like silk and steel except with a magnetic wrap. Then there’s flatwounds.

Of course, all of those options affect the wound strings only. Switching to a wound third might help.

Lowering the treble side of the pickup will help.

Of course, there’s always turning down the treble knob just a bit. If it’s only the bridge pickup that is offending, hook it up to a tone control too, or add a load resistor in parallel with it.

draelyc and Dmac73 like this.
  7. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

While a tone control can tame the overall treble response, it can't eliminate the harmonic content of a wound string and that's where different materials, technique and geometry come in handy. The Blues Sliders mentioned above have a nickel alloy wound on a round core with a silk inlay. They sound a lot like plucked piano strings.

Dmac73 and sgarnett like this.
  8. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

I started playing the guitar on 2016, using 9s.

Then I changed to 10, trying to chase "the tone". I also thought that the added tension would work like a "gym" in my hands, making bends much easier on the long run.

The problem is, the added strenght never came. So last month, when I bought a brand new strat, I decided to put 9s. Not much (if any at all) difference in tone, and much easier and confortable to play.

I should have never switched to 10s.

draelyc likes this.
  9. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

9's: the favorite strings of the disabled.

10. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

9s feel like dental floss to me. A guitar I bought recently arrived with 9-42 or so. I left them on for a few days, but the guitar didn't come to life for me until I strapped on some bridge cables.

I love the Beefy Slinky 11-54 tuned down a step. Sounds enormous. I use them on strats, pauls, firebirds, etc. Hits your magnets like they need to be hit. Get that neck pickup to howl like a wounded werewolf. They're great for open D with a slide. Holy Moly!

SAguitar likes this.
  11. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Movin' to Montana soon
    Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon
    (yes I am)

draelyc likes this.
  12. Dmac73

Dmac73 Strat-Talker

Hello L.A. bye bye Birmingham

SAguitar likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.