A 1982 JV Strat for more than a 1982 Fullerton AVRI?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratman323, May 1, 2021.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

I saw this listed today.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25496182...,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

Generally speaking, a 1982 JV is very sought after but I'd expect it to sell for a bit less than a comparable 1982 Fullerton 62RI or 57RI. The going rate (at least pre-Covid) for a 1982 Fullerton was about £2000. This seller is asking £2600 - no offers.

Now I know that asking price is not the same as selling price, but even so, I think that this may be the most expensive JV I've seen for sale on eBay ever. It's not even the top model is it? Is the decal correct? I thought they said Squier Series in small wring on the end of the headstock?

s5tuart and StratAudiodemon like this.
  2. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

From what I've seen on eBay in the last year or so, anything old and Japanese is priced WAY above where they were even two years ago.

I haven't kept track of JVs, but am always on the lookout for Tokai, Fernandes, Greco etc. and rarely see anything that I consider to be priced sensibly. Interested to know whether that's me being completely out of tune with the market, or just a lot of optimistic sellers...

s5tuart and drp146 like this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

U just bought two mid 80's Burnys as part of a package. When all else was sold off the Burnys came out at 500 a piece. Right around what I think is the going rate. The JV's that's cone out around here lately haven't been that expensive. They've been listed at around 1600.

jofish likes this.
  4. stratman323

I sold my last guitar a month before lockdown last year. The guy who bought it was interested in another Tokai I had to sell, but he was going to come round, try it out over a coffee & then maybe buy it. That hasn't been possible since.

Have selling prices really gone up that much since Feb 2020?

drp146 and Isotope like this.
  5. stratman323

Yeah that's what I'd expect them to sell for. The red bottomed pickups do add something to the value, but not £1000!

Cerb likes this.
  6. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Selling prices, I don't really know. Asking prices seem to have - on eBay, Gumtree and FB anyway...

The last Tokai I sold was in summer 2019 and it went for £400 (an '81 Springy - ST50). I did buy two mid-80s Fernandes Revivals last summer for £400 and £500, though they were both from a friend and rarely pop up so can't really compare.

Sorry to derail the thread slightly anyway!

StratAudiodemon and Cerb like this.
  7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The market is crazy and completely random asking prices are through the roof but very little is selling but every so often a couple of crazy results come to the fore. I given examples before of a few Aerodynes
    Aerodyne Telecasters selling for in excess of £600 one at £676 they were making £500 and below in 2019 an Aerodyne classic like mine sold for £760 I paid £300 for mine mint condition not that long ago.
    Worth repeating though that mainly stuff is not selling at the ridiculously high asking prices.

s5tuart, jofish and Cerb like this.
  8. fernank017

fernank017 New Member!

the JV62's had better, more accurate body contours than the Fullerton 62's. Some of the later exported production models would say "Squier Series" instead of the OCB decal, and even later, the fender decal would be replaced with the Squier ones. This could be a JDM squier that was exported privately.

Also this seller is such a liar. It's not the "Holy Grail". The 62-65 was the cheapest reissue available, and was finished in poly (nothing wrong with it). The grail strats would be the (ST62-) 115's (3TSB) and the 85's (Black, CAR, Olympic White) which were finished in nitrocellulose.

If you can find a Fullerton AVRI for cheaper, just go for that one.

drp146 and Stratomike like this.
  9. stratman323

More accurate? Possibly. Better - no way. Only someone who's never owned one would say that. But it's entirely irrelevant because it's purely opinion. Personally I disagree with you. But perhaps we should stick to facts?

10. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

I often wonder how someone who treats people so poorly has managed to survive 37k posts. That was just a rude response to someone contributing to the very discussion you are asking us to have. It would be a much nicer place if such impoliteness was absent.

Aside from the word better, it's this persons understanding of the facts.

johnted likes this.
  11. stratman323

It wasn't rude. I'm just fed up with people making statements like "the JV62's had better..... body contours than the Fullerton 62's."

Who is to judge better? It gets very tiresome after, as you said 37k posts. I've been in countless threads about the Fullerton RIs & the same old stuff keeps getting repeated, nearly always by people who have never even seen one.

of this world and fezz parka like this.
  12. Stratomike

Stratomike Strat-Talker

I'd pick one of the higher end strats you mention any given day and twice on Sunday over the corresponding Fullterton one. If I had to buy it sight unseen of course. If you can demo it, A/B it ... of course, let your ears decide.

You are right that there is lots of shady business going on with entry line MIJ models.

Kester likes this.
  13. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I understand that the very early JV Strats are collectable and desirable - particularly the highest end product the 115.

But for me an original early 1982 Fender American Vintage from the Fullerton USA factory in a custom colour would be my preference.

Perhaps the Fullerton are not as period correct but the fact that these guitars were the starting point for Fender to resume the quality levels of the 50's and early 60's means a lot to me.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    JDug and stratman323 like this.
  14. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I just saw this for sale on Reverb!

https://reverb.com/item/40354384-fender-62-reissue-1984-candy-apple-red

15. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

16. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

17. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Isotope, stratman323 and Kester like this.
  18. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Regardless of price, I'd walk away over the sellers description. "The holiest of Holy grail, the rarest of rare" really does nothing for me.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  19. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I noticed that as well and had to laugh....

20. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have noticed there's a lot of Holy Grails about how could it ever have been so hard for Knights to find one?

Neil.C, Blackmore Fan, Lumi71 and 3 others like this.