A 1982 JV Strat for more than a 1982 Fullerton AVRI?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratman323, May 1, 2021.

1. Pete Bristol

Pete Bristol New Member!

Any pics mate? I’m just in the market for one myself. There’s a nice all original 65 in black with a rosewood board and also a 57 with a maple board, both have USA pickups and priced around £850. Just not sure which to go for

2. StratAudiodemon

StratAudiodemon New Member!

I have a sunburst 1950s style maple fingerboard Fernandes The Revival I bought in the mid 2000s. I love it. It's one that's stayed around while buying and selling many other Strats, even Fender Custom Shop.

Just something about it I love. It has fantastic resonance when unplugged too and perfect neck size for my hands.

I still have two other Fender Strats - a CIJ black strat with thicker neck profile, and a 2017 USA Fender Original 60s.

I mostly play the Fernandes.

I do own two 1982 JV series models though. A Tele black guard (but with a thin neck with Rosewood fingerboard), plus a 62RI Jazz Bass. Both of those are stunning instruments. The Tele is easily the best Tele I've ever played (out of at least 50 Teles).

jofish, Cerb, drp146 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Isotope

Isotope Strat-Talk Member

Well, fenders new guitars all Went up in price. Actually there’s a lot of things that have gone up since covid.

Blackmore Fan and drp146 like this.
  4. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

I've had mine since 1982. It's one of the 57 style, maple fingerboard two tone sunburst. originally was poly finished but I sanded it down and refinished it in metallic blue around about 1985 because it got a few chips on it. :oops: I did get it refinished a few years back in two tone nitro (so it would age to match the worn neck and other parts).

I can't believe the asking prices for them now though...I love mine and would be very upset if anything happened to it*, though I've replaced quite a few parts over the years (and kept the original bits). Had it re-fretted once, but they are wearing again and won't take another re-fret, so I'm finally building a backup. It's not been easy to replace, though of course I'll keep it and just use it more sparingly.

I guess if I'd had the money to buy a USA Strat in 1982 I'd be just as attached to it by now, but I just got used to the JV and any other Strat always felt a bit 'odd' to me. Luckily these days I'm a bit more open minded when it comes to fat or slim necks, different radii and different frets, but for a long time that JV was my only guitar so it's always felt like 'home'.

* I took it with me to sea when I was in the Royal Navy, so I guess it was more at risk in those days, but at least it's 'travelled the world'. :)

Cerb and drp146 like this.
  5. StratAudiodemon

As far as I know Fender Japan guitars don't have 'Squier Series' on the headstock. I've owned about 15 Japanese Fenders over the years including 3 x JV models (two of which I still have).

I think some Squier guitars may have had a smaller 'by Fender' or similar tag line on the headstock decal.

Also JV guitars have been rising in value for almost 20 years. They are fantastic guitars and equal quality to similar era USA Fender guitars.

I'm a big fan of Japanese guitars (Fender, Gretsch, Epiphone, Tokai, Greco, Burny etc). The quality is top notch. There are some that are just average, but usually they are made to a high quality.

jofish and drp146 like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yes. Long gone. :)

guitarman1984 and Cerb like this.
  7. Isotope

Yeah that’s crazy. I never thought I’d see an import strat prices higher than a US strat. I think an 83 vintage reissue might be less than that JV. Hmm.

8. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Again, you can ask $1.2 million for any guitar you want, doesn’t make it worth that. Yes it’s crazy to see an import listed at par or above it’s USA version but only a fool is going to pay that.

This is what drives up the prices in the used market. Yes all these guitars are collectable but really 40 plus years now for the Fullerton reissues and what are they going for realistically for a mint one? $3000-$4500?

9. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Prices current being asked for 1982 Fullerton reissues are currently in the $4,000 to $6,000 price range.

10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Hey, everyone should have the guitar(s) they can easily afford and would enjoy playing.

But when I look at Strats like this, I can't help myself but wondering:

How would it sound and play compared to an EJ Signature? Or a EC signature? Or a SRV signature? Or a Custom Shop? Or a Fender Mod Shop? Or an American Original? Or a used American Standard? Or a used American Special?

jofish likes this.
  11. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Some of the Japanese models are priced higher than some American models over here. Some copies are even priced around the same as some MIA models.

They are all equally imported over here though.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

The first export JV, produced for approximately 2 months around June 1982, were Fender branded and they had a decal on the ball of the headstock, "Squier series". Very rare and collectable. They fetch prices similar to the nitro painted 115 or 85.

13. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yes I’m sure all of the import JV models are pretty sweet guitars. Me personally when I see the guys asking AV prices for their JV stuff I stop reading the ad and keep going.

here’s a example of what a realistic price should be. The AVRI is still a bit high but that JV seems to be a decent deal. These are Canadian prices though.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/kitc...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/edmo...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 10:39 AM
  14. Lumi71

Lumi71 Strat-Talker

Really depends on the model.
    I agree price for the JV you posted is decent. But it is only a "65". you cant compare it to 85s or 115s.
    The number gave the price in yen...65k yen, 85k...they have different specs.

15. Intune

Intune Strat-O-Master

Yeah I was never into any imports just because poly and slightly off measurements from the US version weren’t my thing. So I’m not really aware of the several different versions of the same guitar. I guess they did the same confusion as the USA line which everyone jumbles together as the same, price and all. (AV,AVRI,Pure Vintage, AO)

16. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

I was checking REVERB again last night and saw this AVRI for sale.

Thats around USD7,300.00.

IMG_0485.PNG

IMG_0484.PNG

17. StratAudiodemon

Sadly for us in Australia we have to pay substantially higher prices for guitars.

Import taxes can be very high plus shipping from USA/Canada/Europe is often a hefty charge too.

A USA standard series (professional or whatever they're currently being marketed as) can easily be $3,500 to $4,500 (AUD).

Japanese guitars are usually very attractive to us as shipping is much less, and often included in purchase price by Japanese sellers.

18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

$7,000.00 USD is also a lot!

19. Isotope

Even Dave Gilmour favored the 1983 reissues. In terms of post CBS strats, the 83-84 avri might be the holy grails. I guess a silver cup since there’s only one holy grail:) probably Buddy Holly’s strat.

stratman323 likes this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Ah yes, but which one? :p

Isotope and Cerb like this.