A bit of advice before buying

jmyers1982

New Member!
May 23, 2022
London / Milan
Hello everyone.

I've been playing guitar since I was a kid and always been a Fender fan.
Recently, since I now have the possibility to buy an original one, I started looking around.

My favourite is the sunburst and looked for something like this ones:

This in particular:

The thing is that I would like to try it first and living in the UK I could find this one in Italy:

I showed it to a friend who is more expert than I am and he pointed me towards here to ask for advice as the price is a bit over average.

What do you think? Is everything fine here?

Thank you in advance for your kind advice!

3.png 4.png 2.png 1.png

Mr Dunlop

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 30, 2014
usa
Gonna need alot more pictures of the insides to verify if the guitar is authentic.
Pictures of the neck heel, pickups, pots, etc..

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
Gonna need alot more pictures of the insides to verify if the guitar is authentic.
Pictures of the neck heel, pickups, pots, etc..

This is what the ad says, anyway:

1970 Fender Stratocaster : Serial 282443​

This fantastic guitar has been built between late ’69 and early 1970. It features a amazing contour body with a vibrant 3 tone sunburst finish in excellent conditions, with just a small amount of red fade on the body front. The all original late 1969 dated pickups sounds amazing. The only modifications ever done to it are a “newer” volume pot, changed in 1979 with a original fender replacement, a professional refret with medium jumbo frets and the guitar has other tuners at once, now the original F tuners are back in place.

Asking Price: 14,500€

I like it a lot, but seems pricey for a '70, But I tend to judge prices from what I remember in 1979, so maybe it's not overpriced. It's more than I'd personally pay, though. But I also don't generally understand anything about the British/European prices or the exchange rate

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
I used to have an August ‘71 4-bolt hardtail which happened to be very light (a few ounces over 7lb), but it also had quite narrow nut and so it felt quite cramped when playing open chords, up to about the fourth or fifth fret.

In an ideal world, you should really try before you buy but understand that this is not always easy to do. Something worth bearing in mind.

I will also add that I didn’t pay anywhere near that for mine, and probably only ended up breaking even when I sold it.

Last edited:

Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
This is what the ad says, anyway:

1970 Fender Stratocaster : Serial 282443​

This fantastic guitar has been built between late ’69 and early 1970. It features a amazing contour body with a vibrant 3 tone sunburst finish in excellent conditions, with just a small amount of red fade on the body front. The all original late 1969 dated pickups sounds amazing. The only modifications ever done to it are a “newer” volume pot, changed in 1979 with a original fender replacement, a professional refret with medium jumbo frets and the guitar has other tuners at once, now the original F tuners are back in place.

Asking Price: 14,500€

I like it a lot, but seems pricey for a '70, But I tend to judge prices from what I remember in 1979, so maybe it's not overpriced. It's more than I'd personally pay, though. But I also don't generally understand anything about the British/European prices or the exchange rate
14k+euro for a 70s Strat.. geez.. I've just spat my early (very early) Bordeaux over my keyboard. Tell me.. someone's joking! I bought my house in la belle France for less than that with a 1/4 acre of land in 2015.

Oh please.. someone end this madness, for what is basically just an old bolt together guitar fabricated in a factory. Buy a Classic Vibe and get a decent guitar in your hands for pennies.. made in a factory.. sure.. but not by bloody CBS. The company responsible for Fender's demise and then some.. :thumbd:

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
So you have been a Fender fan and you have a chance to buy an "original" one. I guess it's worth saying that if you spend that kind of money on a brand new Custom Shop model (well a lot less money than that) you will still be buying an original Fender. Plus it ought to be a much better guitar than a typical guitar from that era (OK folks will debate the heck out of that no doubt and hey these might be absolute beauties). Just trying to offer some food for thought.

Anyway, it seems to me that you would be well advised to do a lot more research before spending that kind of money. What makes you feel a guitar from that particular era would be best for you? Do you think that is the golden era? Fender was established in 1946, the Strat appeared in 1954, things went kind of bad in the 1970s and early 1980s, the Custom Shop was founded in 1986/7 and so on. If you know all that and you still want to go for a 1970s guitar then cool! But if so, I would suggest you go find one you can hold and play before parting with the cash. Plus, if you are in the UK, please bear in mind that officially you will have to pay a lot more than the prices quoted because of import tax and VAT. If you are flitting between the UK and Milan and can sneak it back through Customs all well and good, but be aware of the potential for significant extra costs. Come back with a little more about your reasons for buying and what needs you think this purchase will fulfil.

andy86

Strat-Talk Member
May 24, 2022
UK
So you have been a Fender fan and you have a chance to buy an "original" one. I guess it's worth saying that if you spend that kind of money on a brand new Custom Shop model (well a lot less money than that) you will still be buying an original Fender. Plus it ought to be a much better guitar than a typical guitar from that era (OK folks will debate the heck out of that no doubt and hey these might be absolute beauties). Just trying to offer some food for thought.

Anyway, it seems to me that you would be well advised to do a lot more research before spending that kind of money. What makes you feel a guitar from that particular era would be best for you? Do you think that is the golden era? Fender was established in 1946, the Strat appeared in 1954, things went kind of bad in the 1970s and early 1980s, the Custom Shop was founded in 1986/7 and so on. If you know all that and you still want to go for a 1970s guitar then cool! But if so, I would suggest you go find one you can hold and play before parting with the cash. Plus, if you are in the UK, please bear in mind that officially you will have to pay a lot more than the prices quoted because of import tax and VAT. If you are flitting between the UK and Milan and can sneak it back through Customs all well and good, but be aware of the potential for significant extra costs. Come back with a little more about your reasons for buying and what needs you think this purchase will fulfil.

This is sound advice. If you OP are new to the cult, listen to this guy. he is quite the expert.

Also, there is something fishy with that guitar. I was monitoring one myself in Italy not long ago and I still got the pics. The serial number is the same as that strato you found on sale. Not a good sign.

Attachments

• tele1.png
    tele1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • tele2.png
    tele2.png
    980.5 KB · Views: 14
  • tele3.png
    tele3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Hello everyone.

I've been playing guitar since I was a kid and always been a Fender fan.
Recently, since I now have the possibility to buy an original one, I started looking around.

My favourite is the sunburst and looked for something like this ones:

This in particular:

The thing is that I would like to try it first and living in the UK I could find this one in Italy:

I showed it to a friend who is more expert than I am and he pointed me towards here to ask for advice as the price is a bit over average.

What do you think? Is everything fine here?

Thank you in advance for your kind advice!

View attachment 574644 View attachment 574645 View attachment 574643 View attachment 574642
Not read the post nor looked at the pics. Just read the title. Best advice is DON’T DO IT. IT WILL LEAD TO A LIFETIME OF GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
This is sound advice. If you OP are new to the cult, listen to this guy. he is quite the expert.

Also, there is something fishy with that guitar. I was monitoring one myself in Italy not long ago and I still got the pics. The serial number is the same as that strato you found on sale. Not a good sign.
Interesting and cheers! Now there is a red flag if I ever saw one. I didn't read all the details of those Strats in the original post, but I did later pick up that one had had a refret. A refret is not necessarily a big issue in itself of course, and nothing like as concerning as seeing the same serial number on two guitars (although that can apparently happen legitimately but best to be extremely cautious as @andy86 has indicated).

As the OP did use the word "original" in the initial post and since the term can be interpreted in different ways, I guess it's also worth pointing out that at least in my view, a refretted guitar is not 100% original. Whether the term "original" applies to a CBS-era guitar that was built after Leo sold his original (ish) company to CBS, or a brand new Custom Shop guitar is also something that people could take a view on. :)

hornpiper

Apr 23, 2014
Anytown,USA
Fender CBS, is way overpriced regardless of it's condition, which looks very used to me. I would keep looking.
?? I disagree, doesn’t look very used to me at all really, especially being 51 years old. Top it off, it’s still a 4 bolt neck, which are more sought after, than the later 3 bolt 70’s necks.

Last edited: