A bit of advice before buying

Blues Lawyer

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2022
Maryland
On the upside, this shop seems to be reputable, at least according to TGP.

That said, $15000+ for a somewhat unremarkable CBS Stratocaster seems hella steep.

Forget Custom Shop... That's nearly twice as much as a Master Built.

jmyers1982

New Member!
May 23, 2022
London / Milan
Interesting and cheers! Now there is a red flag if I ever saw one. I didn't read all the details of those Strats in the original post, but I did later pick up that one had had a refret. A refret is not necessarily a big issue in itself of course, and nothing like as concerning as seeing the same serial number on two guitars (although that can apparently happen legitimately but best to be extremely cautious as @andy86 has indicated).

As the OP did use the word "original" in the initial post and since the term can be interpreted in different ways, I guess it's also worth pointing out that at least in my view, a refretted guitar is not 100% original. Whether the term "original" applies to a CBS-era guitar that was built after Leo sold his original (ish) company to CBS, or a brand new Custom Shop guitar is also something that people could take a view on. :)
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such thorough replies.

Also thanks to everybody, I really appreciate all the advice. It's a bit overwhelming but appreciated XD.

I know that mine was most likely just an itch I wanted to scratch, more than a reasonable purchase. I grew up with cbs era bands and it's probably the teenager in me who went straight in that direction.

I will keep looking then and consider a different move as well.

Thanks to @andy86 for pointing out the issue with the serial number. I'm wondering what's the story behind that guitar now.

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK

Also thanks to everybody, I really appreciate all the advice. It's a bit overwhelming but appreciated XD.

I know that mine was most likely just an itch I wanted to scratch, more than a reasonable purchase. I grew up with cbs era bands and it's probably the teenager in me who went straight in that direction.

Thanks to @andy86 for pointing out the issue with the serial number. I'm wondering what's the story behind that guitar now.
It's nice to get such a positive response from someone who has asked for advice, so thanks and good luck. Hey, that's a good enough reason for looking for a CBS-era Strat by the way (not that you ever need a reason to buy a guitar!), :) and as long as what you eventually acquire is genuine and not too overpriced I'm sure you will be happy. If all else fails and you can find a suitable original, you can of course order a Custom-build CBS-era '69 Strat from the Fender Custom shop in a NOS or reliced finish, and while it won't be an original CBS-era guitar, it may scratch the itch. I'm not a rep for the FCS by the way, :) just pointing out the options which no doubt you were aware of anyway. Here's a link to the detailed brochure which includes the '69: http://www.fendercustomshop.com/how-to-order/

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
That shop in Italy is very well regarded and they really know their stuff, but I have to agree that the OP should probably find out what he really wants first. A 1970 strat is kinda rare here, I only ever really see later 70s models for sale here and prices have been rising for years now. Still, 14k is a tad much for my faint heart!

mn2422

New Member!
Aug 29, 2021
NC
How about a new Fender 60’s American Original, or better yet a Shijie STE Pro? save $$, exquisite guitars…Shijie pic…

Attachments

• 9417F102-EED7-4728-B9A3-E11563ED1C99.jpeg
    9417F102-EED7-4728-B9A3-E11563ED1C99.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 12

Old Tone

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 8, 2019
Louisville, KY

jmyers: Hats off to you! I am in the "vintage" camp. Nothing inspires me to play/practice more than plunking on a vintage Strat. I'm old and own a '73, '70 and '66 Strat's and can't put them down. Isn't that the hidden secret to more practice? Basically, the older the better, so I side with the '68. If the instrument was played, it WILL have had a refret. But can't say I'm a fan of "medium or jumbo" as I like to feel the wood without having to press hard. Whether you buy one of these, or find another in the future, I'm sure you will find your #1.

Tremdaddy

Strat-Talker
Sep 18, 2020
North Hollywood, California
Not the best era for vintage Fenders, although I have a '68 Tele and a '70 P Bass that rock. I remember my first Strat, it was an early 70's - couldn't wait to get rid of it. Bought an early 70's Tele too, same thing. I agree with others here, go Custom Shop for way less. My Custom Shop Fenders and even my 2010 Roadworn feel way closer to the good era of vintage Fenders than the ones you're looking at. Unless you play one of them and it just hits all the right notes for you - after all its your money.

sigwalt

New Member!
Jun 9, 2014
munich
yes - if in doubt - definitely go for a custom shop.
never buy a 2000$ guitar or costier without trying it for hours.
I played my custom shop for days before making a final decision.
that's what the custom shop are for, I don't know what the others think? somehow, relic'd ones seem to always chime and growl with the warmest tonal woods

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
Are you a collector or a player ? 14k e things seem like a lot of cash to me for a daily player, Get a new Strat for $3,500 and enjoy the hell out of it. unless you just became a collector who should learn everything about collecting guitars before purchasing one.

Rufustelestrat

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 7, 2010
Banning, California
There are three reasons I might not purchase that guitar.
1. Remarkably un remarkable and worn, with modifications that reduce the value compared to un-molested models from the same year.
2. Price is just way to high for that year, and CBS era construction/build quality reputation.
3. There is no third.

andy86

Strat-Talk Member
May 24, 2022
UK
I agree with @Gary Davies about the refretting. This may go deeper than that though. This post made me look again for a tele and look what I found:

https://www.scruffsvintageguitars.com/shopscruffvintage/1968-Sonic-Blue-Fender-Telecaster-p398572938

It looks to me the same body as the one I posted above with the serial thing. Also it says the store is the same as the strat from OP's post.

Somewhere along the line something happened here. I'd say @FrieAsABird do you know the store well? I would warn them about this and the strat, it is indeed a red flag.

1.png 2.png

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
I agree with @Gary Davies about the refretting. This may go deeper than that though. This post made me look again for a tele and look what I found:

https://www.scruffsvintageguitars.com/shopscruffvintage/1968-Sonic-Blue-Fender-Telecaster-p398572938

It looks to me the same body as the one I posted above with the serial thing. Also it says the store is the same as the strat from OP's post.

Somewhere along the line something happened here. I'd say @FrieAsABird do you know the store well? I would warn them about this and the strat, it is indeed a red flag.

View attachment 575754 View attachment 575755
Yes, it's the same Tele based on these images, with a different serial number. One photo taken in a warm evening light and the other under a blue sky, which obviously affects the colour hue. Just seen the chunks taken out of the body at the corners of the neck plate in your original post with the other serial number. Some story attached to this one for sure.

andy86

Strat-Talk Member
May 24, 2022
UK
Yes, it's the same Tele based on these images, with a different serial number. One photo taken in a warm evening light and the other under a blue sky, which obviously affects the colour hue. Just seen the chunks taken out of the body at the corners of the neck plate in your original post with the other serial number. Some story attached to this one for sure.
Exactly! And what about the neck? There are more pictures here at the source:

https://www.cescoscornerguitars.com/1968_Fender_Telecaster_Sonic_Blue_Serial_193439.html

It looks like a 1966 neck with a post1969 body (see the pick up route?). Maybe someone here got confused by the pots but if I am not mistaken they were the same from 1966 to 1971.

Jekscar

New Member!
Mar 30, 2015
Italy
About the shop, you can trust Cesco's Corner, his reputation in Italy and abroad is very high. He collects and restores guitars, always specifying true conditions of the instrument.
About the price, I would suppose buying there is a bit more expensive, it's a kind of guarantee about what you purchase. Get a look on the website to see the history of the instruments that passed through the corner.
This is all said by a non-expert of vintage guitars, take it for what it is.

andy86

Strat-Talk Member
May 24, 2022
UK
I did check as you suggested and if I do agree that the store has beautiful items, I am not sure whether they actually qualify. At least in the collectors market at that asking price. Here an example:

1658435280354.png

The actual link:

www.facebook.com/Cescoscornerguitars/posts/pfbid0TrDBZJLMqxMstY1QVSNawZaYY3jph9ULZbt6p9zk2Bv9M1G7KK6Ja1R8Vu6wbDaol

A guitar described as a "gorgeous and rare 1968 Stratocaster".

Screenshot_3.png

He did announce some working and a few months later a 1967 Strat with the same scratches on the body shows up on the store:

Screenshot_4.png

If you wish to compare:

1658433972793.png

What do you think people? @Gary Davies do you think the body is the same? To me, honestly, it feels like the same body with a different neck. The fact that it came up twice over time could be that it was returned, I wouldn't be surprised.

This is what I found with a quick check but there could be more. The reason I'd like to understand is because there are people like OP @jmyers1982 who is wishful but not really knowledgeable on the matter. What if we weren't here to help him figure things out? A beautiful guitar and a description (two actually, a bit different from each other) such as this could trick people into spending quite big sums:

1658439612715.png

1658439626144.png

Last edited:

Gary Davies

Strat-Talker
Oct 16, 2014
Cornwall, UK
I did check as you suggested and if I do agree that the store has beautiful items, I am not sure whether they actually qualify. At least in the collectors market at that asking price. Here an example:

View attachment 578685

The actual link:

www.facebook.com/Cescoscornerguitars/posts/pfbid0TrDBZJLMqxMstY1QVSNawZaYY3jph9ULZbt6p9zk2Bv9M1G7KK6Ja1R8Vu6wbDaol

A guitar described as a "gorgeous and rare 1968 Stratocaster".

View attachment 578674

He did announce some working and a few months later a 1967 Strat with the same scratches on the body shows up on the store:

View attachment 578675

If you wish to compare:

View attachment 578677

What do you think people? @Gary Davies do you think the body is the same? To me, honestly, it feels like the same body with a different neck. The fact that it came up twice over time could be that it was returned, I wouldn't be surprised.

Seeing as you mentioned me @andy86, I had a quick look and some of the markings on the Strat bodies above do look the same, although others are a little different. To be honest I wouldn't invest any more time on it, as the OP last checked in here over 2 weeks ago. So he can't be too concerned about it and I think (without going back over the posts) various folks have shared their thoughts and given him the benefit of their opinions. Remember, you can lead a horse to water . . . . :)