A Captain Pike era communicator... AKA post your views on how silly ST tech was

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I don't know if you're alone, but I think it was a (frequently ham-fisted) attempt to discuss political issues that could get past TV producers and censors in a way that more realistic shows couldn't manage - racism, pollution, authoritarianism, living peacefully with the USSR. And don't kid yourself, talk to engineers and scientists and 4/5 were probably inspired by Star Trek or one of its spinoffs. It was an enormously influential show among the nerds of the world.
Just seems to be to have been ‘retrospectively influential’

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
From "Devil in the Rock". Great episode.

"We are dealing with a silicon creature of the deep rocks" Spock says. That is just a piece of it.

Looks like a giant cheeseburger gone wrong. ROTFL2g.gif

1651710917062.png

Mind meld time.

1651712294628.png

Last edited:

Sixstringer107

Senior Stratmaster
Still early in the binge - The Menagerie Part 1. I know few episodes of ST strictly by name.

It has been maybe 15 years since I last binged on TOS. In the before time.

I'm liking it more than then. Trying to overlook the silliness of low budget 1966 TV. Kirk was mighty creepy with Miri.

Concentrating on Gene Roddenberry's vision. The core of the good stuff to be had. He wrote The Menagerie screenplay.

I have a hazy memory of seeing the closing credits in the mid 60s and having the puppet scare the living sh!t out of a 5 or 6 year old me. Put me off on watching TOS in its primetime.
I'm guessing my Dad liked what came on after ST and had tuned in a tad early.

View attachment 558510
The Corbomite Manuver. Clint Howard. Good one.

nullaccount

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
I recently heard an interview on NPR of a guy whose parents moved to LA from Thailand and opened a Thai market in the 60s. The Star Trek props people would come and buy things like jackfruit and other unusual-looking foods to use as alien’s food on the show.

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
Pike.jpg
1 beep for yes, 2 beeps for no.

Beep beep.

Yes yes.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
I knew Walter Koenig wore a rug in his later years, but it seems was well on his way during the series. Chekoff's hair often looked odd at times, nowhere more so in this crop from "The Tholian Web".

BadHairDay.png

As the 30-year-old's hair was already receding, costume designers fashioned a Davy Jones-style "moptop" hairpiece for him. In later episodes, his own hair grew out enough to accomplish the look with a comb-over.

Seamus OReally

Fading away
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2019
Santa Rosa, CA
I read a story about how the art people brought a selection of “futuristic” S&P shakers for use in the Enterprise mess. Roddenberry didn’t like any of them as shakers, but decided they’d be perfect for Dr. McCoy’s surgical instruments. So those little hand scanners that performed non-invasive miracles were really for salt and pepper.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I knew Walter Koenig wore a rug in his later years, but it seems was well on his way during the series. Chekoff's hair often looked odd at times, nowhere more so in this crop from "The Tholian Web".

View attachment 572401

As the 30-year-old's hair was already receding, costume designers fashioned a Davy Jones-style "moptop" hairpiece for him. In later episodes, his own hair grew out enough to accomplish the look with a comb-over.
He was brought in at attract the younger female audience.
They wanted him to have a Beatle/Monkees hair style, so for the first season he appeared (2nd season of the show) he wore a wig while he let his hair grow out.
3rd season, that was his hair.

Tholian Web was 3rd season, so that would not have been the wig.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
He was brought in at attract the younger female audience.
They wanted him to have a Beatle/Monkees hair style, so for the first season he appeared (2nd season of the show) he wore a wig while he let his hair grow out.
3rd season, that was his hair.

Tholian Web was 3rd season, so that would not have been the wig.
Yep, that is in the Wiki.

The image I posted was after Checkoff wigged out (pun intended!) and got Spock's nerve pinch to quiet him down.

Guess the editors figured out no one would notice with the low res TVs of the day.

I'm nearly done with the slow motion binge of TOS. I have a greater respect for the series now after ignoring the silly / campy bits. 'Ol Bill Shatner is still a ham.