Join Strat-Talk Today

A case for higher-powered amps...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by dueducs, Sep 12, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

This guy makes a compelling case for louder, higher-powered amps. In this case a BF Super, which happens to be my favorite amp of all time, but just too loud for my playing situations.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I liked the part about having the guitar turned down for the sound check. :) One thing's for sure... Pete Thorn can play.

3. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

It is, but a lot of "sound guys" will blow a gasket when you do that to them. Best to take your own sound man if possible.

Great video.

Here is one from him on the hot-rodded Marshall sounds. Man, that guy has some great amps.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Great video and killer tone. But that video wasn't a case for high powered amps, the Super is 40 watts. He made a case for setting the volume of an amp. Playing the amp at breakup point rather than pristine clean.

5. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

One of my old bandmates used to say:
    "You can do a LOT with Power, man !"

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Funny thing is in my old band, it was the lead singer that was making everybody's ears bleed. How loud do you have to be!?!?! I tried to make light of it saying "as the guitarist, it's supposed to be MY job to be too loud". Ironically that argument fell on deaf ears and was a large reason of why I left the band.

In general, Louder != better!!

7. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Playing situations make all the difference. If you have a good attentuator you can work around most of those situations. But still, why pay more money for what you really can't use or don't need. And if you mic your amp when playing out, then a good 10-25 watt amp might just be fine..

Look at Ron Wood's mic'd little Fender amp behind him at the start of this video.

8. Triple Jim

Overly loud singing really gets old fast. I don't know if it's worse than overly loud anything else, but it just might be.

9. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

For stage volume, a loud, heavy handed drummer is worse....

3bolt79, GaryM, Textele and 3 others like this.
  10. BallisticSquid

There's a reason you see singers pull back from the mic when they hit a high powerful note. It's painful.

11. BallisticSquid

Luckily I have't been subjected to that. Though when my ears would start hurting from the damn loud vocals, the sound of the cymbals would become really irritating.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  12. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd give vocals a tie with bass, but only slightly. Bass has the capability of turning the whole mix to mud. IMHO of course.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and Triple Jim like this.
  13. Triple Jim

So it seems that any single overly loud element will screw up the whole. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise. I know you're right about bass, but I rarely hear that at the shows I see. In fact the bass at the last live show I saw wasn't loud enough.

3bolt79, ZlurkCorzDog and abnormaltoy like this.
  14. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely correct. A 40W amp is not high powered. A 100W Fender Twin is pretty big. But I'm a bass player and accustomed to needing 300w to keep up with a drummer. I wouldn't call any amp "high powered" until it's above 1000 watts continuous. Which is what my band used to use for sound reinforcement; we found it adequate for small outdoor shows.

If you had a 1000W amp and set the volume in line with the video's instructions, sitting right in front of a 4x10 cab just like in the video--IF the speakers could handle it, it would likely come out at something like 160dB. You'd blow your eardrums and maybe your sinuses as well.

There's another practical limitation with the size of amps: A 1000w amp will use pretty much all of the electricity that can pass through a bog standard American 120v 15A circuit breaker--that's the biggest amp you could plug in and expect to have work without inspecting the breaker panel.

The biggest instrument amp I've heard of is the Walter Woods 1200w, which could be used for guitar but I suspect mostly gets used for bass.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

jump to 4:00

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

I think he's making a case for using the volume control on the guitar. I can cut the need for some pedals with that technique. And dial in exactly what I want as I play. Thats a reason I go with the Strat so much. The placement of the volume control. I don't used it really as a volume ...more like a gain control.

Chicago Matt and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Use the right tool for the room.

He lost me when he called it "a mid to late 60's" Super Reverb. C'mon Pete get it together. LOL

When I played big rooms and had to compete with a twin...the BFSR was my amp of choice.

Example: ( I'm on the left)

Big room. Big FOH. Could have done it with a Princeton, but Jimmy was so effing loud through that SF Twin.

simoncroft, dueducs and JB74 like this.
  18. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

volume was only on 5 lol that's not LOUD in a super. I play my BF twin on 5-6 all the time I don't think that's loud either.... (maybe I'm deaf?)

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah. like the monkey behind the desk didn't learn that trick the first week on the job.

20. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's derogatory and politically incorrect, they are referred to as "pelted humanoids" these days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.