Join Strat-Talk Today

A critic's take on styx

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rocknrollrich, Aug 28, 2019.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I thought this was pretty good

2. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't remember much of what Styx did after "Pieces Of Eight", which I rather liked but then I'm on record here as kinda liking (well, not hating) "We Built This City", so feel free to dismiss me to the woodshed. But I do remember when the Mr. Roboto thing came out. There was some low-grade confusion, wondering what the heck that song was about, who the heck was "Kilroy", and why should we care? I vaguely recall the rather silly video, but I can't remember anything on the album that caught my fancy. After the "Mr. Roboto" stuff Styx just fell off my radar.

3. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

Confession time: I saw this tour.

I was living in Savannah, Georgia, for a while. Big acts rarely came through, at least when I was living there, and yep I knew what I was getting into. However curiosity led me and a date to see the show. So yea - it was what it was, and we had weird night out in town. But that's another story.

I will say there was an active music scene there otherwise, I was always able to take in a band somewhere on the weekend. Long live Night Flight Cafe! That's another story too.

:eek: Flashback As I type this, I'm realizing that that had to have been second to last arena show I went to. (The last being Pink Floyd Delicate sound tour. Whew.). But second to last is pretty odd since the first arena show I went to was Iron Butterfly, with Styx back in high school. Weird.

edit: I see Iron Butterfly is still touring, I should make it a point to catch a show if they come this way. The circle would be complete!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow
    I made it to 9 minues, four second...

abnormaltoy and rocknrollrich like this.
  5. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I was just reading Shirley Muldowney the drag racer's bio and she was good friends with JY and a couple other member and on the back of one of their records they are shown at one of her races and they give her a shoutout in the album's thank you section. Not a big Styx fan but that was a surprise...

[​IMG]

abnormaltoy, rocknrollrich and JP68 like this.
  6. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Interesting topic. I am a Styx fan and stopped at that album. Mr Roboto was too commercial for my tastes. I haven’t revisited it, nor is it in my collection.
    I have however started picking up the newer releases and am enjoying them.
    Styx, Styx II, Serpent is rising, Man of miracles from there early catalogue are awesome! Ymmv

abnormaltoy and rocknrollrich like this.
  7. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Anyone who really knows Styx knows Mr. Roboto was the breaking point of the band. Literally. That disaster was not the band, as such, but Dennis's doing. The rest of the band hated it as much if not more than their fans. And to this day, that is basically why Dennis is still not with them.
    That said, they still put on one hell of a concert, and don't suffer from Dennis not being there. JY is still the man of many faces and can still rip. Tommy is nothing short of amazing. He still enthusiastically nails the vocals and is impressive the way his still plays cool choices of guitars.
    Saw them numerous times over the last few years, and have tickets for October. Always been a sure thing for a good concert.
    Pics I took a couple years ago now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

..."their specific blend of Arena Rock, Prog Rock, and Soft Rock"....

Yeah, this pretty much sums up why I hated all the bands of that genre.

otto6457, vid1900 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Styx has the distinction of being the only major band I’ve ever walked out on. I just couldn’t take it! I’d seen what I came for anyway ... opening act was Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush... now they was Awesome!!!

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Haha, all this time I had no idea Kilroy was Here was supposed to be a concept album. I think I heard it in its entirety once but was left underwhelmed. Styx does has a couple great tunes but beyond the radio hits and seeing them live once, I never delved too deep into them. Tommy Shaw is a hell of a player but everytime I see him I think of David Spade :D

3bolt79, Morf2540, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Awesome pics!! This is the story as I've heard it also. I think I learned about this in their "VH1 Behind the Music" episode. Dennis was into the theatrical aspects of performing...the rest of the band just wanted to rock!! Dennis rejoined the band in '99 for an album called Brave New World. I listened to it a lot...I thought it was a great album. I think he exited the band yet again after that.

Grand Illusion and Paradise Theater are fantastic albums IMO. I never understood why Styx was so polarizing. For some reason, it was uncool to like Styx when I was a teen. I didn't care :).

I hate how I hear David Spade's voice in my head when I see pictures of Tommy Shaw!

12. BallisticSquid

I took too long typing my post...I totally agree!!

When I heard anything from Kilroy, I felt embarrassed for the band. Same for Queen's Flash Gordon. Tough with Flash Gordon, there's a sense of tongue-in-cheek and that they aren't taking it totally seriously. You better believe DeYoung was totally serious with Kilroy :(. Ick.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and sam_in_cali like this.
  13. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It just takes 1 "oh crap" to erase a handful of "atta boys."

I saw two outstanding shows. Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  14. rocknrollrich

Mahogany Rush ! I remember being a kid and hearing about Frank Marino.
    I checked out mahogany rush and have been a fan ever since.

15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Look....
    If you're a critic...
    You've gotta assemble words about something...
    Proofread them...
    And
    Hope someone reads them....
    (Like or dislike isn't your job)
    Just barge ahead
    And
    Keep dating that woman willing to pay the bills...

16. rocknrollrich

I don't have the hate for styx that this critic has, but I did find them a bit "tedious".

My older brothers had some of their albums, and i did like the paradise album, but that was about it.

Many years later, a friend of mine invited me to a show (he was an LD for a lot of big concerts).
    It was styx and reo speedwagon.
    I went and hung out with him in the "light booth" and had a good time.

It was a strange concert. Everyone remained seated, and clapped politely after each song. Very strange indeed.

Ps. Mr roboto scared me as a child.

17. BallisticSquid

I discovered Mahogany Rush when Strange Universe and Maxoom were in a lot of about 50 LPs I bought at a garage sale for $10. That was back in 1990. Some cool stuff on there, though some of it hasn't stood the test of time too well and sounds pretty dated. Frank can play his ass off though!!

18. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

@rocknrollrich
    I’ve had the good fortune to have seen him 4 times live. Best Rock Guitarist I’ve ever seen period!!! Frank’s been a Monster with a capital M since the 70’s! Even by today’s standards he’s incredible!

19. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I worked in a record store when “Grand Illusion” came out. It was in heavy in-store rotation, and now the sound of DeYoung’s voice make me feel like I’m chewing on chalk.

20. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Saw the Pieces Of Eight tour ,still one of the best shows I ever saw . They were at their peak and so tight ,and J.Y. Is a hell of a player as is Tommy .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.