Join Strat-Talk Today

A good practice amp? Help please

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by davidrf, Jun 1, 2016.

1. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Blackstar ID15 or Cube 40

Both are really easy to dial in plenty of sounds (no cpu needed) and can be had as open box or demo units for $200 with full warranty if you look around.

Neither gets near the advertising push like Fender, Marshall, and others but are popular because they sound great.

For starters the build quality on each is far nicer than similar priced amps. Used to be a valvetronix fanboy but their amps are starting to look like toys. :eek: Fender is trying to catch them.

2. Drubbing

Drubbing Strat-O-Master

Nope. His Sabbath tones are anything but.

Besides, one man's brittle and cold is another's clean and spanky. Plenty of warm and creamy SS amps out there if you don't like these. It is weren't discontinued, top of the list on my suggestions would be a Vox Pathfinder 15R.

3. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Dude, I think you hit on something good with your Vox VT20X.

Have not heard one but I have a VT30 'Chromie', with the chrome BBQ grill speaker cover. I super dig this amp and use it for exactly the type thing you are planning.

I got it about a year ago NOS, 185US. Great deal. It is two generations older than the one you can get and has a super cool power attenuator knob on the back that goes from zero to 30 watts and any power in between.

Like I said, I really dig this amp and keep it and my Super Champ XD on a shelf in the dining room for when a friend comes over to jam. I use the Vox.

I suggest grabbing it before it's gone. I would expect a very decent amp.

Let us know what you do, but I personally wouldn't hesitate on that Vox. Try it and buy it before someone hears you playing it and buys it out from under you while you're scratching your head lost in indecision staring off into the distance.

Ha, ha. No offence. I recommend getting it quick if it checks out, but to each their own. I think you hit on something good.

Good luck.

4. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Looking farther down the road, you might want to put down the extra 50+ $$ and get the VT40X with the ten inch speaker and twice the power.

The higher available power will make the amp tone richer at very low volume. Something to keep in mind.

Too bad you can't find a NOS VT40+.

5. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Maybe you prevented the hissing just because you rearranged all the components... Or you just have a non hissing one to begin with. They're rare but exist too :D

I found a guy who sells a Super Champ X2 with footswitch at 300€ (about 300$) but I noticed the sale announcement is several months old so I asked him if he is willing to lower the price at 250€. It's 48 hours now and he has yet to reply to me, and there's no direct phone contact. Maybe he already sold the thing, forgot to put the announcement offline and just doesn't respond (many people act like this, sadly).

I wrote him again a few minutes ago, but later I'm going to the shop and try both Vox VT20X and VT40X. Being the Orange Crush 20RT available only by order (taking up to 2 weeks to arrive to the store), I guess if the Super Champ X2 guy doesn't respond me in a short amount of time, I'll get one of the Voxes and put an end to this kinda intense search :)

6. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

Another great option would be to forego a guitar amp altogether... One of the things I often do for home playing is plug one of my Strats into an awesome pedal I bought that takes headphones... The pedal is a Zoom G1On. It also plugs in and matches nicely with an inexpensive set Alesis Elevate studio monitors I have ($50 bucks)... The pedal has tons of great pre-programmed (and custom) sounds, awesome amp models, awesome multi-effects, lots of nice sounding built-it drum patterns, and a looper. It also has an Aux in, headphone jack, and stereo outputs. It's unbelievable that it costs less than $50 bucks. $50 bucks for the pedal, $50 bucks for the monitors, I'm assuming you already have nice headphones... It's a tremendous practice setup that's super versatile. I love playing this setup using just headphones and aux in backing tracks. Also, the looper with or without the built-in drums playing is a killer feature for home practice and enjoyment.

Strats4me, Hal Nico and Mesaman like this.
  7. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

I concur with the above comments on the G1on. I think it hasn't gained more popularity because most people don't expect a low priced pedal is going to be any good.

Hal Nico likes this.
  8. nicholas

nicholas Strat-Talker

Since you're worried about the high gain sounding artificial I'd get the super champ XD over the X2, They are different in this regard. Although, the X2 is still better than the other amps mentioned here IMO.

9. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

So, the Super Champ chump never replied. Then I went to the store and the Vox VT40X was sold out. The estimated time to have an Orange Crush 20RT was about 2 weeks. So I said "enough": I tried and bought a Vox VT20X.

I'm actually happier, because inside the big spaces of the store everything looks smaller, and for sure the VT40X would have been a tad too cumbersome for my current needs. When I'll need something with more punch for playing with a band I'll look into something else, but this VT20X is perfect at home. And they even gave me a pretty nice discount because it was the last VT20X in store.

The first impressions with a Telecaster American Special and then with a Telecaster Standard made in Mexico:

- Very light and compact
    - Very nice look
    - It's ultra-quiet. Hiss and operating noises almost nonexistent.
    - Without too much dialing in the various settings, I would say most of the cleans are probably not as good as they were on my Mustang III, but the high gain stuff is miles better even if the Mustang had a 12" Celestion and this little guy only has a scrawny 8".
    - to me, it sounds less digital than most of the modeling amps I've ever heard
    - There are lots of modulations, effects and stuff. Still less distracting than a Mustang III but... a bit too much nonetheless. Controls on the amp have a learning curve, and maybe they are a bit overcomplicated and cluttered. I'll just spend a bit of time creating a bunch of presets from scratch (possibly from the PC software) and I'll mostly stick to them, I guess.

Now, I just have to play :) Thanks to everyone who tried to help and gave me precious informations and opinions.

nicholas likes this.
  10. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Deleted.Read OP's last post but I still love my Zoom G1xon.Even if you only bought it for the distortion FX it would be worth the money IMNSHO :cool:

11. Duff1

Duff1 Strat-Talker

Good move.

12. Veetwin

Veetwin Strat-Talk Member

Hi, looking to buy a Vox VT20x. I have read that they have hiss and hum. Also apparently the headphone jack output sound is poor. I will only be using it mainly with headphones. Would you please comment on the headphone issue. Thanks, regards Steve

13. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

ABSOLUTELY AVOID THIS AMP if you want to often use the headphones. I'm so frustrated about it I bought a Vox Amplug 2 to use the headphones with. The amp is great (no more hiss than any other in its category) but has that flaw.

14. Veetwin

Veetwin Strat-Talk Member

Hi, thanks for that! Do you think the Vox VX1 would be the same?

15. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

I have the Roland 40 GX, great little amp, has a headphone jack, 10" speaker, and some nice FX features..I watched and read a ton of reviews before I chose the roland, I had a fender champion 20, the roland in terms of sound blows it away imho..Check out youtube for for the demos. Oh, and so far I have not heard or read one bad thing about the amp.

I see you bought a Vox, a good choice, wish my Vox NT 15 had a headphone jack..

16. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

I don't know, never tried it.

17. Hal Nico

I have a Vox VT20+.I wouldn't buy one again.It's ok for a quick thrash but my Zoom G1Xon pedal is way better especially if you want to use headphones and or recording.

At around 50/60 beer tokens it's an absolute bargain and if you want it amped just run it into your PC/H-Fi or even a guitar amp/combo etc.

See this thread,

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/zoom-g1xon-g1on-looper-amp-fx-pedal.351193/#post-2032813

This little demo was done using just the Zoom and it's in-built looper/drums and bass guitar simulator.

If your headphones have a 3.5mm jack you just need one of these to use the Zoom's 1/4" jack input,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-3-5...003895?hash=item3cdcb6c777:g:uOsAAOSwrklVdWKN

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  18. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

The VT20X sounds quite better than the VT20+ to me. At first I was very satisfied because it has a bunch of great models for the price. The "Brit 800" (Marshall JCM 800), Brit OR MKII (Orange Rockerverb MKII), and User A (by default it's the Dumble Overdrive Special on clean channel) are quite awesome. The Fender models are alright and the Vox models pretty good. I also got used to the cluttered interface.

BUT maybe I too wouldn't buy it again. At the store I didn't try the headphone jack, and when I used it at home I was profoundly annoyed. It's almost unusable, especially if you play a song throgh the AUX to play along.

I bought an Amplug 2 Classic Rock for headphone use and it's WAY better than the VT20X, but still it has a pretty limited range of sounds and effects and sounds pretty harsh when in high-gain. Now that you mention it, maybe I should have considered the Zoom G1Xon that's only a few bucks more and could be also used with future amps.

Do you use your Zoom G1Xon with a valve amp too? I've read of people who do it regularly. If there were a solid and not too expensive option G1Xon + good amp I'd maybe consider selling both VT20X and Amplug.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  19. scootercaster

scootercaster Strat-Talker

I just bought two of the new Champion 20 amplifiers. They are absolutely perfect for what I need them to do. Great little practice amps!

20. Hal Nico

It sounds quite good using my Line6 Studio GX as my interface into my PC set as a flat EQ DI patch in Podfarm but it sounds much better when I run it through my Behringer Ultragain 200,
    which is a valve based pre-amp/DI box(ECC83/12AX7) I bought because it also a has a 48v Phantom power supply for my Condenser mic and then into my PC as it warms up the tones just that little bit.
    http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...UnrWa95SM359RprL7ykadk8ylJsnU4ghhCRoCoOHw_wcB

I've run it into the VOX just using some of the Zoom's overdives/distortions and it makes the VOX way better so I cannot see it being anything but superb through a decent valve amp/combo as it has lots of output options in it's patches to match to virtually anything you want to run it into.
    Speaking of Vox Amplugs.

For giggles I ran the Zoom through my VOX AC30 Amplug and then into my DAW and got this<grin>,

https://app.box.com/files/0/f/6241277813/1/f_70752527505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.