A List of Ritchie Blackmore Strats: For Your Approval

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ifurgoingtoSF, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Looks pretty thorough. The guy who makes BSM pedals has a good grip on the recorded guitars you might check his site out (BSM Trebleboosters- Blackmore Pages). He is a Blackmore freak as well.

Looks to me like he is now (current Rainbow shows the last month or so) using his actual signature model with Bill Lawrence pickups. Maybe he decided to retire his vintage instruments from touring

I am personally most interested in the burst Telecaster with Stratocaster whammy bar modification that he used in the 'Can't Let You Go' video (also Tawny Kitaen's first video). With the dummy middle pickup and fat bridge sound I have always thought Ritchie really wanted to play a Telecaster. \m/ :mad: \m/

2. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

I know that the sunburst he used in the early 70s had a truss rod hole that looked like the 50s trussrods. AFAIK - those were the one piece model necks for a few month in 1970 and the "bullets" were introduced later that year.

Important? no, but it's in my brain and I want to share. :)

3. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

I seen a video dating 1970 where he plays a black strat maple neck/fretboard.

4. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

He's on the cover of the June issue of guitar world sporting, and I quote, "his classic Seventies Fender Strat with a Roland synthesizer pickup". Also included is a transcription of' Man On The Silver Mountain'.

5. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Strat-Talker

upload_2018-4-18_9-30-45.jpeg

is this strat one of Blackmore's or is it just a photo prop? thanks

6. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

just a prop for album cover

leonard d rock likes this.
  7. Heartfelt

Heartfelt Strat-Talker

Is the "Can't let you go" Strat/Tele, the same one in the "Bad Attitude" video?

8. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Damn I never noticed that and I love that song. Gillan kills it on that song then Ritchie lays down a brilliant solo with the Octaver. Looks like a different guitar. House of Blue Light is a seriously underrated Purple album.

9. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

No, it´s not the signature model. It´s his old ´77 with either his old L-450´s or it could be L-45S (hopeless to tell by only Pictures).

I Guess the list should be revised. There is at least one "New" guitar to add, some listed as different guitars that truly is the same guitar. And some more info about each guitar and what happened to some of them could be added.

10. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

True.

I've nothing to add myself but since you've resurrected the thread already I'm gonna post my new pic of my own tributes to a few of Ritchie's master strats over the years. Just because .....

_DSC0096.jpg

11. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

If it could be of some interest for you:
    I am not sure about the existence of the MIJ Sunburst model. Where did you find it?

12. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

The two most important things for Blackmore is/was the feel of the neck and the sound and tone.

He found the 70s big headstock Strat´s to suite him best – more substain and better tone. Later on he preferred rosewood necks due to both tone and the more “ease” to scallop.
    When he found a good combo (neck/body) they were glued together to make it more rigid.

Even though he had (and still have) a lot of different Strat´s, only a handful has been characterized as “Master Strat´s” – Guitars he preferred to use live as the main guitar.

Some of them, often referred to as different guitars, seems to actually be the same guitar with different setup´s.
    The ´74 OLW, he bought back in´76 (I guess) and mostly used live from the early 80s, seems to be one of those:
    The one with the F500T´s (mint 62 pickguard) and the straplock at the headstock, the one with the Velvet Hammer´s (black pickguard), the one seen in ´86/87 with the L-450´s ++, is most likely the same guitar. The “contoure” decal seems to have been scratch off/removed some time during the period with the Velvet Hammer´s, as this one can be seen With- and without the decal.
    This is also the guitar that the tech grinded down the scalloping on. Blackmore tried to re-scallop it, but the scalloping went through the rosewood and down to the maple. It also became too thin. It was then set aside, and it´to be seen in the video where he shows some of his guitars – still with the L-450´s in the pick guard.

The ´74 Sunburst with rosewood fingerboard he had as one of the “Master Strat´s from 1977 to 1980 (also used together with the Velvet hammer in Munich 77) was smashed (broken neck) at a concert in the fall 1980. Later sold at an auction.

13. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

nice work.

I have large headstock, maple fretboard ash, 3TSB and black Strats all partly in tribute to Blackmore (Hendrix too in the case of the latter). Mine aren't vintage correct, and nor do I want them to be (22 frets and flatter radius is my preference, so that's what they have), but I really like the look.

14. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i would like to ask him if he remembers the last one he smashed on stage. There is a lengthy description of the pickup changes he's made over the years which has been a never ending arduous process

15. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Late 90`s I think. I know he did in Oslo in 1996, and I`m sure he smashed some more during the Stranger in us all tour that ended in 1997.
    That started when the huge lightened rainbow made his guitars hum like hell. A part of the problematic solution trying out hum cancelling combinations was to find a good balance between the bridge and neck pickups.

joesatch likes this.
  16. SpeedKing

I only caught two shows that tour ... both dates in the Hammersmith Apollo as I think it still was back then. I don't recall a strat demolition either night but do recall two fantastic shows... he was playing beautifully in '97.

ptb1 likes this.
  17. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

To add a "New" Strat to the list of Blackmore´s guitars.
    This one showed up in 2006 (picture snipping from a BN YT-video):

Blackmore sign neck.png
    I have not been able to identify this one (model, make, year), but it has the signature decal (as the Artist Blackmore Signature models) on the headstock.

18. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-O-Master

Not many people know, but he often got his best sounds when he flipped the guitar over.

20046D1E-91B9-44B5-B6BF-7B123C4F417C.jpeg

19. SpeedKing

I posted recently in one of ptb1's threads that I'd just watched an old b&w film from '68 with the band in the studio doing Wring That Neck and Ritchie is playing his first strat... the supposed Clapton hand me down from roadie to roadie.

It's a sunburst but almost impossible to say whether 50's or 60's. I believe it myself a 3 ply guard from the close ups so most likely a 3 tsb though with 3 black control knobs and a rosewood boarded tel neck.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    ptb1 likes this.
  20. ptb1

ptb1 Strat-Talker

Anno 2021:

Skjermbilde 2021-04-10 kl. 16.49.00.png