a look back...

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by circles, Sep 15, 2020.

1. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I found an old demo CD from one of the bands I was in, Four Hour Skies. We tracked one original and two covers. We retracked the original later when we tracked our full CD.

Version 2 of Universal Chain:

2. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

That was cool. Do I hear some Nirvana influence in there? Anyway, that's what I heard.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I love that pixies tune...gal even bought me a poster of a painting of that final scene in Fight Club that has it for the soundtrack. FIGHT CLUB-BONG FURY.jpg

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. tery

tery Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

You ought to start that band back up !

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. circles

Jimmy quit, Jody got married lol. Thanks that was so long ago, those tunes were fresh at the time.

I think you hear the Pixies in Nirvana. Yea, it's in the ballpark.

Nice. And the Zappa/Beefheart print.

I loved that movie, right up until the end. I thought the suicide should have ended the illusions, ending him and his plan at the same time. I feel it was too 'Hollywood', but maybe I'm missing something. Very cool movie though, could use its' own thread.

abnormaltoy, Cali Dude and tery like this.
  6. Baelzebub

It's my Christmas Eve movie...lol.... Christmas Story, Bad Santa 1 and II and ending with FC time to end right at midnight. Captures the evolution of the holiday quite nicely I think. That opening credit has been imitated alot. Just saw it in a Netflix release....zombie flick called Alive. Not bad actually..I've sat through some real stinkers cause she loves them but that one was well done. Worth a look.

The Zappa/Beefheart thing is actually a framed copy of the Bongo Fury LP. Hmm...Wonder if I have enough wall space to frame and display all the Zappa vinyl I have. I have most of the pre-cd days LP's. I miss album art.

abnormaltoy and circles like this.
  7. floydrose

floydrose Senior Stratmaster

Nice one circles.

circles and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

I've only listened to Universal Chain...I like it, it works for me.

circles likes this.
  9. circles

Yes, album art!

Thanks!!

Again thanks.

That was my second foray into the studio. The first was with Glass Rail, which I can't find, was on cassette, so I'd have to take it to a service to transfer to digital. As were were winding up the mix, the engineer asked us 'do you want that on cassette or CD?'. We said cassette as CD were brand new, none of us had a player, we didn't have much money, and so on. In hindsight, it would have been nice to have.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. Baelzebub

I would think it shouldn't be that hard to do the transfer with a laptop and some off the shelf software. I have a which allows me to record directly into Audacity from the amp via USB.

Any similar amp should also have an Aux in allowing you to just run a jack from the output of the cassette player, or headphone jack, to the amp and then into Audacity or another DAW where you could manipulate it and save it in whatever format you wish and then burn it to a CD?

I'm talking out my behind of course, but it seems as if it should be feasible and easy enough...

circles likes this.
  11. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Man, very cool... what a nice band.

circles likes this.
  12. circles

Thanks. It was short lived, but rewarding. The only band I was in we were able to put out an original CD, an important goal of mine. Then life forced it apart.

This is another track. I liked having another guitar player, it helped expand the sound. Image from the session. This tune was written by the drummer. Basically, we all brought what we had, pooled the songs, and developed the ones that fell into place.

bnw.jpg

JJ119 likes this.